Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum,
I took my 2016 Challenger to the stealer to have my radio updated, well, they wanted to charge $199, needless to say I left. I downloaded the update but can't get it to install. When I look in the flashdrive, it has the update in a folder. Thinking that was the problem, I opened the folder and now only the contents of the folder are on the drive, still, no go. If you have the update, is it visually different? Do you notice anything different? Is it worth the hassle of updating, thanks for any input.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did mine the other day on my 2015 SRT. Downloaded the file and no issue. Did you download the instructions which is a different file?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did mine the other day on my 2015 SRT. Downloaded the file and no issue. Did you download the instructions which is a different file?
I downloaded what i thought was the update file and watched a video. The update I downloaded had 2 files in the folder.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I downloaded what i thought was the update file and watched a video. The update I downloaded had 2 files in the folder.
From what I remember, it was a plug and go but I think it was only in ACC power mode, not running. I would have to look at it again.Hold on, let me look again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
From what I remember, it was a plug and go but I think it was only in ACC power mode, not running. I would have to look at it again.Hold on, let me look again.
The link on their site doesn't work for the instructions for my VIN. I was looking to see if it needed to be unzipped or just plug and go. Sorry, I don't exactly remember the process. It was supper simple though. Just remember, IT"S FIRMWARE!!! Don't brick it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,053 Posts
Should be the same

A Guy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,579 Posts
Hi forum,
I took my 2016 Challenger to the stealer to have my radio updated, well, they wanted to charge $199, needless to say I left. I downloaded the update but can't get it to install. When I look in the flashdrive, it has the update in a folder. Thinking that was the problem, I opened the folder and now only the contents of the folder are on the drive, still, no go. If you have the update, is it visually different? Do you notice anything different? Is it worth the hassle of updating, thanks for any input.
What does the directory structure of the flash drive look like? A single folder containing one or more files that are supposed to get used for the update?

I don’t have an updatable uConnect system, but going off of lessons learned from updating firmware on aftermarket head-units, I would say try this:
1) format a USB thumb drive in FAT32, erasing all its contents in the process.
2) copy the contents of the update folder from flash file to root directory on the USB drive.
3) use ‘eject’ option on PC to remove USB from port.

So what you’re left with is a USB drive formatted in FAT and containing one or more files which are not archives of any kind (no *.zip, *.tar, etc. files).

Disregard all this if there are official instructions that contradict any of it, of course.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,053 Posts
Some instructions mention zip, or 7-zip files needing to be extracted

A Guy

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,579 Posts
I would imagine the downloaded firmware update is in *.zip format, but I’ve never seen an updating program that could (or would) handle that. If zip file handling were not build into all recent versions of the popular OSs out there, I could see needing 7zip to extract the update contents, but it is (already available in OSs of today), so 7zip shouldn’t be necessary to handle zip files I would think...but who knows these days...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,053 Posts
Was just commenting on it needing to be extracted to the USB

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried it again this morning, did the exact same steps and this time it worked. Updated, no real obvious visual differences. Thanks for the assistance, it is truly appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Use the USB in the center console, make sure you have a USB drive with nothing else on it. Make sure you're not in garage or cloudy day. Took me a few tries but finally got it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts