Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two questions for our experts,
1. Is our OEM battery AGM?
2. I've looked at the stats on the Duralast Gold and nowhere does it say if it's AGM or Flooded. Anyone know if the Duaralast GOLD H7-DLG is AGM? I don't know what DLG stands for. (The Platinum has AGM in the part number but it's the longer battery so I would need the optional bracket from Dodge which I don't want to do)
So I'm either going with the Duralast or Costco. Any preferences?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
DLG just guessing ( dura last gold )

I would go auto zone over Cosco for the simple fact there is more auto zones than cosco across the country if you need to exchange it out for warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,573 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DLG just guessing ( dura last gold )

I would go auto zone over Cosco for the simple fact there is more auto zones than cosco across the country if you need to exchange it out for warranty.

Do you know if it's an AGM battery?

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,441 Posts
Do you know if it's an AGM battery?
Which year model?

The most recent models (‘15-‘20?) may be AGM from the factory IDK, but the older models (‘10-‘14) are not.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which year model?

The most recent models (‘15-‘20?) may be AGM from the factory IDK, but the older models (‘10-‘14) are not.
It's a 2016 SXT Plus. Funny, I was going to check on the price of an OEM at the dealership but they only list batteries for Asia and Africa. Ran the part# and get nothing either. I guess they don't want to sell us batteries.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
Reactions: mjb4450

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
If you have physical access to the old battery, pick it up and shake it. If you can hear sloshing, it’s not AGM

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
When I put your car in the autozone info it pulls the same battery.

I have never seen challengers with different batteries but I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I put your car in the autozone info it pulls the same battery.

I have never seen challengers with different batteries but I could be wrong.

Yeah there's actually an alternat longer battery that they put in the cop cars but is usable on any as but you have to go to the dealership and get a shorter hold down clamp.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
Yeah there's actually an alternat longer battery that they put in the cop cars but is usable on any as but you have to go to the dealership and get a shorter hold down clamp.
The battery clamp already in use should work. It is just repositioned further toward rear of car to allow for extra length of battery case.

There are only two holes the clamp bolt can go into, it’s in the one closest to front of car now; move it backward to other one and it will hold down the bigger battery.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
The battery clamp already in use should work. It is just repositioned further toward rear of car to allow for extra length of battery case.

There are only two holes the clamp bolt can go into, it’s in the one closest to front of car now; move it backward to other one and it will hold down the bigger battery.
Now, that’s how the battery hold-down hardware works on both my 2012 and 2014 Pursuit Chargers. I guess it’s possible they redesigned it for the 2015+ Challenger refresh, but it should be easy to confirm/deny by just looking down there at it.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you have physical access to the old battery, pick it up and shake it. If you can hear sloshing, it’s not AGM
I guess I'm just hung up on the idea that a battery in the trunk or under the front seat like my Grand Cherokee, should automatically be an AGM. But I guess not. Maybe I'm just over thinking this. I've changed many batteries before but all under the hood. While I'm thinking on it, Nukey, do you know if my radio will lock up when the battery is disconnected and require a reset code or am I safe there. I've heard both ways. I have one of those diagnostic port connectors and a jump box to keep power on but with the tight quarters in the trunk I don't want to risk knocking the positive cable on anything.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

On mine the OEM clamp is already pushed right up against the fuse box so any longer battery would require a shorter clamp.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
I guess I'm just hung up on the idea that a battery in the trunk or under the front seat like my Grand Cherokee, should automatically be an AGM. But I guess not. Maybe I'm just over thinking this. I've changed many batteries before but all under the hood. While I'm thinking on it, Nukey, do you know if my radio will lock up when the battery is disconnected and require a reset code or am I safe there. I've heard both ways. I have one of those diagnostic port connectors and a jump box to keep power on but with the tight quarters in the trunk I don't want to risk knocking the positive cable on anything.
the radio should not complain about the battery swap, but at most it will say “turn key to Run” and verify the VIN matches before allowing you to listen to music.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
On mine the OEM clamp is already pushed right up against the fuse box so any longer battery would require a shorter clamp.
Do you have one of the longer batteries already?

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
While the AGM is a better design, it’s also more expensive to manufacture. I can’t see FCA using them as stock batteries on lower trim levels back in 2016.

They might be cheap enough to produce today that all the trims comes with them, I don’t know. But I would be shocked if they were stock on a 2016 SXT car.

·
Premium Member
9,441 Posts
No, mine is the 12 1/4" long standard one.
If that’s the length of the shorter battery then I guess they did change the hold down hardware in 2015.

Shame, the old design seems pretty good. Definitely don’t need different hardware to use a larger battery...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts