Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys go about negotiating price when you order a car instead of buying one off of the lot?

·
Registered
193 Posts
About the best your going to do is get it at invoice or just above it combined with any available incentives at the time of delivery. There's really not allot of wiggle room on Chargers and Challengers from invoice cost to sticker price so don't expect to get $10k off the sticker like you can with a new pick up truck. Absolutely do not pay over sticker unless your trying to get a Demon allocation.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The very first attempt I tried was below invoice. I don?t think the invoice price means anything.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, I think your doing pretty good then on a car you want to order. They may have factored in all available incentives already. Take your price to a few other dealers and see if they can beat it. That's about the best thing you can do.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That?s the plan. I was about $1200 under invoice before they released the $1250 incentives on the 18s here. Been kicking things around since mid-summer. Changed my mind a few times! Definitely going for a Scat Pack in Indigo blue with leather and the driver convenience package. Keep waffling on A8 or M6... and have considered a Shaker (comes with leather already) and even a TA 392. Oh well, my truck runs fine (paid for years ago) and I have no reason to hurry. Maybe there will be more incentives coming and better loan % rates for 2018s.

·
Registered
2010 challenger r/t
40 Posts
My method

First, spend some time to do your homework. Research the car model and the options you want by going online to the dodge.com website and also into a dealership without discussing a deal with the salesman, saying you are just looking. Decide whether you want exactly what you want or are you somewhat flexible in terms of model, color, options, etc. Also, try to separate the old car tradein from the purchase price as they will lowball you on the tradein to subsidize the new car price. In addition, decide if timing of the purchase is important to you as you can often get a better price on the last day of the month, quarter, or year if the dealer is close to an incetive sales number.

Also, decide how important the dealership choice is to you, Online you can easily get dealer ratings and do you want the best price or a dealership with a better reputation that you will be using for service and recalls. It may be better not to try to wring every last dollar out of the deal as some disreputable dealers will pad the bill with high priced and unasked for extras so remember to get total out the door pricing including all extras.

Second, go online to one of the many websites to get the dealer invoice prices on the car and the options.

Third, go obtain price quotes by a number of the buying services like costco, trucar, kbb, edmunds, aaa, etc. I print them out and index them in a looseleaf binder go have at a moments notice during negotiations, if necessary.

Fourth, research financing if needed so you know your fallback option if the dealership plays the poor credit higher financing cost game to charge extra for financing to subsidize the new car cost.

Then, you can either negotiate in person at a number of dealerships if your personality is such that you enjoy haggling (I take my binder with me so I can refer to tne numbers of the buying services). Go at the very end of the day so the salesman cannot wait you out by prolonging the negotiation to try to wear you down.Give a reasonable fact based number and let him accept or run out of time before closing.

OR
you can contact the dealerships around you and get the name, telephone extension and email of the salesman in charge of internet sales (each dealership usually has one). You let them know what you are interested in and ask them to submit their price. Many may not want to give you a price but the ones that do make it worthwhile.

I have purchased a challenger directly though a buying service getting the exact model and configuration I wanted and also bought one by internet, having the internet salesman offer something very close which I accepted. These purchases were in 2010 and 2015. A new order on a very recent model may leave much less room for negotiation. Always remember to only negotiate out the door pricing.

Disclosure: I had a relative who worked aftersell for a new car dealership, not dodge, so I know many of the inside tricks. I have also been asked to leave 2 dealerships during my time by challenging the lies the salesman sometimes tell about invoice price. The dealership deserves to make a reasonable profit but I realize they also make a dollar by the holdback, aftersell items, financing, and tradein.

:nerd:

·
Registered
14,294 Posts
The very first attempt I tried was below invoice. I don?t think the invoice price means anything.
True! They've raised invoice price so much over the years that it's no big deal any more. I'd be looking for at least 3 or 4 grand off MSRP plus whatever incentives in effect at the time of delivery. If you find a similar car at a good discount go in there and tell them you want the same deal on your order.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys! You?re reinforcing alot of the things I was already thinking. I also think those buying websites are working for the dealers - not the consumers - but that is a conversation for another forum thread.

My goal/plan is to try for $35k before sales tax. Tax here will be about $3k. Always start low when negotiating.... if I can?t get the deal I want, I?ll go on to the next dealer. We have a lot of dodge dealers within an hour of here. Like I said, I?m in no hurry. If I don?t find the right deal I?ll keep looking.

Oh, and no trade-in here to worry about and my bank will do 3% if I need to go that direction. But I?m also pre-approved with Chrysler for plenty to make this happen.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hate it when this forum replaces apostrophes with question marks! Only happens when I post from my iphone.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,064 Posts
Hate it when this forum replaces apostrophes with question marks! Only happens when I post from my iphone.
It's an apple thing, I'm seeing it more and more. Older fix was:

System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Text

Uncheck "Use Smart quotes and dashes"

Many people only got it after updating to IOS 11

A Guy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts