Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title suggests, I need ideas for implementing a neutral safety switch for my 2010 R/T 6 speed.
I contacted Tremec and there is no provision for a neutral switch on the TR-6060.
I will have a momentary relay to bypass the clutch interlock, while retaining use of cruise-control.
I would like to have some method of ensuring the shifter is in neutral before allowing the remote start to engage.

There is mention of another member using some type of magnetic switch to accomplish this, but I am unable to find the thread.
If all else fails I may run a safety to the parking brake, that should hopefully hold it in place if the starter is engaged while in gear.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It would be pretty rare for a modern car to be able to start in-gear. Maybe I'm missing something?

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
He's working on a remote start for M6, the system has to verify the car is in neutral, something Dodge does not require, as long as the clutch is in the car will start even in gear.

To the OP, this thread gives another option on the neutral workaround ..

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5572458

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It would be pretty rare for a modern car to be able to start in-gear. Maybe I'm missing something?
The T-6060 does not have provisions for a neutral switch, I have discussed this with Tremec and the installation of said switch would require pulling the trans, drilling & tapping a hole near the shift rail, and installing a ball switch.

He's working on a remote start for M6, the system has to verify the car is in neutral, something Dodge does not require, as long as the clutch is in the car will start even in gear.

To the OP, this thread gives another option on the neutral workaround ..

Aftermarket remote start on manual trans - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
I read about the 4X10/5X10- 800.CHRYSLER v7.20.421d but didn't want to futz with another remote fob or having the key programmed yet again.
I agree it's probably a safer system, but it's also much more involved to operate (my wife drives my car occasionally).

The system I went with was the Audiovox FLRSCH4, it comes pre-programmed for the car make & model selected and learns the rolling code on the key transponder.
Other than installing the 'box' I will need to run a safety wire to the e-brake and use one of the momentary power wires off the box to enable a relay to temporarily bypass the clutch interlock. I've seen some people use a toggle, but that's a lazy fix IMO.
I am almost 100% certain that the e-brake would be able to hold the car if accidentally started in gear (I will of course test this theory).
I always apply the parking brake regardless of the vehicle I'm driving.

Once the system is installed correctly, three pushed of the lock button within a 10 second window will remote start the car.
Why? because it's 108* in Texas right now :)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the installation is complete. I use the parking brake to arm the system.
I tested a "worst case" of the car attempting to start in gear.
With the parking brake set, if the car attempts to start it squats and stops. The brake easily holds the force applied by the starter.

So far I really like it, I can have my car nice and cool by the time I reach it.

Installation took about 3 hours, the only additional parts needed were a 12v 5 pin relay, zip ties, and some spade connectors.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
added another safety feature:
To arm the remote start, the emergency brake must be applied AND the line lock (to front brakes) must be on to enable the clutch bypass to send the start signal.
With all 4 wheels locked, it's not going anywhere :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts