Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New '13 RT, right as I hit 275 miles while driving 40mph I hear a single chime (as if the gas was low). Gas is fine and nothing came up on the dash. I don't have EVIC (as far as I know) because the only info I get is System OK, Oil And Water, Temp. I searched the forums and found a few threads on this but nothing seemed to fit my situation. Is there any way to determine what this may have been? Thanks for any help. It was NOT my cell phone or the radio.

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
I've heard that a few times over the years in my '09 (non-EVIC). I'm guessing its one of the tire sensors on the hairy edge and trips the chime, but immediately recovers before it can illuminate the dash warning lamp.

If all your tires are at or above 32 psi, then I have no clue.

In my case, my car continues to run as good as day 1 at nearly 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard that a few times over the years in my '09 (non-EVIC). I'm guessing its one of the tire sensors on the hairy edge and trips the chime, but immediately recovers before it can illuminate the dash warning lamp.

If all your tires are at or above 32 psi, then I have no clue.

In my case, my car continues to run as good as day 1 at nearly 50,000 miles.
Thanks- I will check the tires in the morning and add air if necessary. When I bought the car if was low on air and the engine light was on. It was the last '13 on the lot and had been there for a year so it needed air and a software update which solved the dash lights.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You don't by chance have one of the OBDII adapters (used for the Torque App)plugged in do you? I get the occasional single chime when plugged in to my Ram, but have not had it installed on my Challenger yet....just a thought....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't by chance have one of the OBDII adapters (used for the Torque App)plugged in do you? I get the occasional single chime when plugged in to my Ram, but have not had it installed on my Challenger yet....just a thought....
Not to my knowledge . I bought her new off the lot on Saturday and haven't done anything to her.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If it turns out you have EVIC, there is a way to see the last chime displayed.
Start the car.
Change the EVIC display to the one that shows compass. This one screen has no up/down arrows.
Hold the up arrow on steering wheel for 5 seconds.
Immediately hold the down arrow on steering wheel for 5 seconds.
the info displayed in EVIC will change to showing a version number and other info.
Use the up arrow to scroll through the available screens.
One of them shows "last chime".

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it turns out you have EVIC, there is a way to see the last chime displayed.
Start the car.
Change the EVIC display to the one that shows compass. This one screen has no up/down arrows.
Hold the up arrow on steering wheel for 5 seconds.
Immediately hold the down arrow on steering wheel for 5 seconds.
the info displayed in EVIC will change to showing a version number and other info.
Use the up arrow to scroll through the available screens.
One of them shows "last chime".
I don't have a compass in this ride- unless I am simply missing it

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
New '13 RT, right as I hit 275 miles while driving 40mph I hear a single chime (as if the gas was low). Gas is fine and nothing came up on the dash. I don't have EVIC (as far as I know) because the only info I get is System OK, Oil And Water, Temp. I searched the forums and found a few threads on this but nothing seemed to fit my situation. Is there any way to determine what this may have been? Thanks for any help. It was NOT my cell phone or the radio.

The best source to check for the chime issue is to have the dealer inspect. They can check for fault codes. The low wash indicator warning, park brake reminder and warning indicator announcement will generate a short chime along with an illumination in the instrument cluster. However, you indicated nothing came up on the dash.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The best source to check for the chime issue is to have the dealer inspect. They can check for fault codes. The low wash indicator warning, park brake reminder and warning indicator announcement will generate a short chime along with an illumination in the instrument cluster. However, you indicated nothing came up on the dash.
Thanks for the reply. Nothing came up on the instrument cluster which is what made this chime so confusing. I'm having the dealer check it out on Friday.

·
Super Moderator
17,338 Posts
If there's a Check Engine light, that will also sound a single chime each time on start up.

I doesn't sound like you had that one either, from the original post.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If there's a Check Engine light, that will also sound a single chime each time on start up.

I doesn't sound like you had that one either, from the original post.

I had been driving about 5 minutes when it chimed. No lights on the dash at all.

·
Super Moderator
17,338 Posts
the chime stack display "hidden EVIC screens" will show which was the last one and what its related to.

The steps for the '11 and newer ones in the 'tips and tricks' thread show how its done to access the hidden EVIC screen...I don't know the process on the newer cars (more steps and buttons involved).

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
The OP doesn't have EVIC.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pulled the Start button and did the START-AC-START-AC-START process with the key and there were no codes pulled. All it showed was ----- and then DONE. So it doesn't seem as though any codes stored.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Nothing came up on the instrument cluster which is what made this chime so confusing. I'm having the dealer check it out on Friday.
Keep up posted on what the dealer says.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I thought ALL 2011+ Challengers had EVIC? At least all the ones I drove while test driving had a complete EVIC but I never drove a base model.
You have the buttons on the wheel so if you press the Page button you can scroll through and see System OK, Oil And Water, Temp.
If you press the UP and Down arrows you don't get any other information?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The first "random chime" I noticed was around 2000 miles on my non-EVIC 2010. Since then it seems to occur about every six months or so. I doubt it is mileage or time related and every time it has happened there are never any indications, lights or otherwise that something is amiss. It just chimes and everything goes on as normal. Once in awhile I will get a random low tire warning and the tires will all be at normal pressures but the low tire lamp will appear as well when this happens. This and hot idle sag are the only problems I've had with my BABY in 39,000 miles. Neither I consider a real problem as the chime affects nothing and I enjoy filling the intake tube with fresh cool air. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts