Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2008 Dodge Challenger first edition with only 10,000 miles. I want to put some mods on it, does anyone have any recommendations for first mods to put on it?

·
Premium Member
10,176 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats!

What a great find, you'll have to post up some photos when you get the chance.

What will your car mainly be used for ? Daily driving, road course, drag strip, etc. This will help us recommend some mods. Are you looking to add appearance mods or performance mods ?

Which such low miles I would add a catch can first :). Maybe a cold air intake and an exhaust next.

- Alexis

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
501 Posts
Hello
Why don't you just drive the SRT for a year first and enjoy the car as designed it is unbelievable then think about mods......the mods will not do much for bolt on preformance and save your money. That car was designed to go 180 mph from the factory, suggest you take it to a road course and have fun you won't believe the capabilities of the car .......it is not a 1/4 mile car but a road driver......hence the SRT name (street race technology)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum and congrats!

What a great find, you'll have to post up some photos when you get the chance.

What will your car mainly be used for ? Daily driving, road course, drag strip, etc. This will help us recommend some mods. Are you looking to add appearance mods or performance mods ?

Which such low miles I would add a catch can first :). Maybe a cold air intake and an exhaust next.

- Alexis
Thanks for the advice! The first things I would like to do is add some appearance mods to it, it’s going to be used as my daily driver but I’m going to try my best to keep it in mint condition

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello
Why don't you just drive the SRT for a year first and enjoy the car as designed it is unbelievable then think about mods......the mods will not do much for bolt on preformance and save your money. That car was designed to go 180 mph from the factory, suggest you take it to a road course and have fun you won't believe the capabilities of the car .......it is not a 1/4 mile car but a road driver......hence the SRT name (street race technology)
I know it will be a while before I go with any big performance mods, but what are your opinions on a cold air intake?

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT8
106 Posts
Congrats. It is a fun ride. I spent the first few months making a few changes. Best one by far was a Barton shifter. Your transmission 6M or 8A ?
I also added a backup camera, and sideview cameras in the mirrors which was a bit daunting but worked out great.
Enjoy the build and make it your own.

Modifications
Barton Shifter and Speed Dawg knob
SpeedLogix Tower Strut Brace and caps
WeatherTech floor and cargo mats (& cover)
self-designed side stripe vinyl
Challenger script fender badges
Door sill guards
Exhaust twin tips
Mopar splash guards
Smoked lens side markers and LEDs
Software update from v2.043 to v2.404
NAV update from factory to 2016
MyGig Lockpick Pro v5
Backup camera
Side cameras mounted in mirror stalks
zAuto BurnBox-G1 (line lock, light show)
Replika R118A (20x9) gloss black w/ machined face

BEFORE (on the lot with ~12k miles)

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
501 Posts
I know it will be a while before I go with any big performance mods, but what are your opinions on a cold air intake?
save your money....just buy a K&N filter is alll

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
LSD

·
Registered
887 Posts
I loved my 2010 SRT8. Mine was a 6M . I bought mine used but it was bone stock. I did the Barton w/ pistol shifter and the skip shift eliminator. 2008 was Auto only I believe? I removed the carbon fiber hood stripes and had a complete stripe kit done. Had windows tinted.
E55453DF-0BF0-436E-B36E-B64D25659BED.jpeg
AFE89DAA-57EE-4FAB-A983-94D38C422A87.jpeg
I blacked out all the side marker lights. I also installed a Cervanis ram air hood kit. Not the complete hood just the insert under the hood and the air cleaner assembly. I also did a blasting Bob’s resonator delete kit sounded great. Also swapped out the Brembos for Powerstops.
9A5196B3-CDCE-4F17-8557-19B7C9CECA3F.png

·
Premium Member
2010 Challenger SRT8
632 Posts
Nice find. On the 2008, the rear end is a weak point with it not being a true LSD and having smaller/weaker half shafts. When Dodge added the manual trans in 2009 they also added in the Getrag LSD on all SRT8 models. Look around and see if you can find an entire rear cradle from a 2009 or 2010 SRT8. In this manner since the Challenger, Charger, Magnum, and 300 all share the same chassis platform, you should be able find the cradle assy relatively easy. If you don't luck out in finding that locally, then look nationwide. You may very well be able to get a rear cradle assy from a Hellcat or Scat Pack although there might be some other driveline mods to make to enable fitment.

Regards,
Fred
2010 Challenger SRT8

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
+1 on just going with K&N drop in filter. The air box is designed well for cold air and a exposed cone in the engine compartment can actually hurt performance.
I have a 09 SRT. Other improvements I would recommend would be.
Oil catch can to keep intake clean
Predator tuner to open performance some

I don't recall if the 08 was auto only. My 09 is auto and the tuner is a lot of bang for buck for auto. I bet you can find some deals on these now on Ebay given the age of your car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello
I would agree to drive the car for awhile and in the meantime research what has worked best for others. This car is NOT a drag car! But! You won't beat it for touring, pickup. and flat out top end for the money. I have added a lot of mods myself as time has gone one. Feel free to shoot me message and I can tell you what worked and what is a waste. I am at 500 hp now without any major expense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts