Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, maybe this has been discused or not but who is going to be the first to see if the 2011 steering wheel will fit on the 08-10 models?

I am guessing this would be an expensive conversion if it were even possible. Maybe the old air bag would work on the new wheel?

Also, the new 2011 wheel caps that say Dodge on them would be an easy conversion to get rid of the RAM logo on the wheels and maintain stock parts.

I was thinking of the Mopar 10 hood badge to replace Ram badge.

That would just about get rid of all Ram logos on my 2009 but still remain stock.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like the 2011 steering wheel better, but I preferred the ram logo on the 2010 over the crosshair logo they put on the 2011. I see the crosshairs and it just reminds me of the caravan for some reason.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Jeep Wrangler 2011

Challenger - Wrangler, both have the same wheel. Wrangler 2011 wheel in black accents instead of silver. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Grant custom steering wheels will probably make one that fits on 08-10 cars. They already sell custom steering wheels for the 08-10 that look better than the stock one on my R/T.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Grant custom steering wheels will probably make one that fits on 08-10 cars. They already sell custom steering wheels for the 08-10 that look better than the stock one on my R/T.
I'd be perhaps interested in having the 2011 steering wheel, too.

Does anybody have specs? Is it smaller than the 08-10 steering wheel?

@Corn619:
Do you have any links to custom steering wheels for 08-10? The only
stuff I've seen were the stock wheel made a little bit thicker and wrapped in new leather but not really a different one than the stock one customized.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'd be perhaps interested in having the 2011 steering wheel, too.

Does anybody have specs? Is it smaller than the 08-10 steering wheel?

@Corn619:
Do you have any links to custom steering wheels for 08-10? The only
stuff I've seen were the stock wheel made a little bit thicker and wrapped in new leather but not really a different one than the stock one customized.
I'd try to contact Grant if your interested in a custom wheel. Maybe they could work something out with you. From what the website indicates, they do custom work.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
I'd try to contact Grant if your interested in a custom wheel. Maybe they could work something out with you. From what the website indicates, they do custom work.
I will be glad to do any contacting of Grant for the members of this forum. Their national sales V. P. is a VERY good friend ( he donated one of his kidneys to me ) and will be able to give me all the information needed concerning their plans to produce any Challenger steering wheels. I will talk to him tomorrow and get back to this forum to report exactly what Grant has available or in the works as it pertains to our cars, assuming the information is not proprietary. I already have one of their wheels on my '10 SRT and love it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I've been wondering about modding the stock wheel myself, but getting an extra to play with isn't that cheap I'm guessing.
I'm not crazy about the new wheel but it looks like it might be more comfortable since i like to lay my hand in that area that is now opened up by the removal of the two bottom spokes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I too was wondering if we could upgrade to the new 2011 steering wheel when it comes out. I really don't like the stock 09 wheel at all...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder if the new wheel is the same size that is on all the new 2011 Dodges. If would make them much more common at the salvage yards once some 11 start getting wrecked.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here's my Grant steering wheel. I love it. Feels so much better than the stock wheel.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
If would make them much more common at the salvage yards once some 11 start getting wrecked.
We can only hope that no one would wreck.. too bad reality sets in.

·
Registered
574 Posts
id guess (and this is just a guess)

if you could get the newer wheel to physically attach to the older cars that getting the new buttons wouldnt be that hard.

I assume with the new wheel comes a new steering wheel control module (SCM). If this has the same connector as the older one, then itll plug right in. The buttons talk to the SCM the SCM sends the canbus msg and the action happens.

Reason why I think theres a new SCM is cause there is more buttons, so itll need more inputs to recieve input from the new buttons.

Reason I think the connector from the SCM to the rest of the car is the same is because the steering wheel buttons are converted to can bus msges and since there is only 2 can bus wires (hi and low) no matter how many buttons there are, you dont need a new connector to the SCM since you only EVER need 2 can bus wires for infinite number of buttons.

just a thought.

EDIT: if anyone can confirm or deny a new SCM for 2011 id love to know.

·
Registered
247 Posts
This wouldn't be an issue if there were some decent 3-spoke aftermarket options, does no one think this would be a profitable mod to produce? The only ones i've seen are the Grant ones and they're awful IMO, kinda like a messed-up, crooked version of the stock wheel.
I just hate staring at the same generic wheel that I used to have in my 300c :(

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
This wouldn't be an issue if there were some decent 3-spoke aftermarket options, does no one think this would be a profitable mod to produce? The only ones i've seen are the Grant ones and they're awful IMO, kinda like a messed-up, crooked version of the stock wheel.
I just hate staring at the same generic wheel that I used to have in my 300c :(
The reason you don't see many aftermarket steering wheels for todays vehicles is that not only is there the manufacturing costs to contend with but also any steering wheel must be able to accomodate the factory air bag system and ALSO pass federal crash standards. This testing is VERY EXPENSIVE and when you look at how many owners of our ( or any particular vehicle ) would actually pay the cost of one of these wheels and in many cases have to pay a shop to do the R&R, not that many owners would really step up to the plate. The cost just doesn't justify the reletively small number of sales that would actually occur. It could easily become a money loser for the manufacturer. That's why.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts