Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a 2013 Charger RT a few months ago. Loved the car, hated the transmission and ESP system. Gave that to my wife and got me a 2014 Challenger STP 6M. Love the car, but hell this rear end cluck is normal?:scratchhead: Did PlaySkool make the rear end? I didn't know it was normal so I ran back to the dealer and of course on a Saturday they have no real techs working so I'm taking it back today. After reading this forum it sounds like its normal for this car. My young kids where in the back seat and even ask me if my car was broke cause the cluck is so loud. Through the parking garage at work I can here the clunk echo, and in the drive through line at McD's.

I understand a little drive line lash is normal, but I spent 30+K on a car and it sounds like a 1970’s truck with bad ujoints. What gives? Can dealer do anything about it? It even clunks when changing gears. If I roll at 10mph, push the clutch in shift back and forth between 1st and 2nd it clunks every time with gear change.

Other than that and crappy Uconnect 130 radio I love the car!! :bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Congrats on your Challenger and Charger both. I believe the rear end clunk is normal on 6MT's. There are alot of threads here on this issue but it seems to be normal.

Love the 2014 seats!

Welcome to Challengertalk!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah when I first heard the clunk the first thing I did was come here and search. Seems normal, but I don't want to accept it. The clunk just resonates through the whole rear of the car when pulling into parking lots or normal gear changes 1st-3rd. I jacked up the car, all seems tight so IDK

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
It's hard to say without hearing it in person, but no a loud pronounced clunk is not normal...at least not in my car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I can 'clunk' it at will. I learned to feather the clutch (never let it out fast) - it never clunks for me anymore.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Clunk, no. Noisy drive line lash due to the drive shaft being in two pieces, yes.
People seem to not want to accept any other explanation other then the most easy and hopeful one being the simple "two piece driveshaft" excuse to blame for the clunking, well the brutal truth is there are several factors at play causing this issue... Agreed no one spending 40-50k on a car wants to accept this characteristic but I would wager if a dodge engineer was interrogated by torture he would soon clear the fog that surrounds this mystified phenomenon...

·
Registered
721 Posts
People seem to not want to accept any other explanation other then the most easy and hopeful one being the simple "two piece driveshaft" excuse to blame for the clunking, well the brutal truth is there are several factors at play causing this issue... Agreed no one spending 40-50k on a car wants to accept this characteristic but I would wager if a dodge engineer was interrogated by torture he would soon clear the fog that surrounds this mystified phenomenon...
Whaaaaaat does this even mean?

·
Super Moderator
14,511 Posts
The differential has horizontal bolt(s) that secure it to the IRS cradle.

There's also a long vertical bolt going through the center section that passes through the housing and into the IRS cradle...these are bushed in rubber to not transmit driveline NVH into the body and there's some flex in those bushings.

My suspicion is when the driveline is suddenly loaded/ unloaded quickly, the housing tries to rotate and the clunking is transmitted through the vertical bolt, through the cradle and into the body.

It takes a technique to master smooth transitions with the 6-speed manual cars. Let off the throttle suddenly (in low gears especially) and get back on and it will clunk.

The drive-by-wire throttle and the tight driveline clearances will bring out the clunk.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well no amount of smooth driving will get rid of my clunk. It clunks between shifts on 1-2 while car is in motion, clutch fully pressed. The act of the shift itself is loading and unloading the drive train.

Took it to the dealer, and service manager road with me. He agreed it was too loud. The put it on the lift and couldn't find anything wrong. Ok I already knew this was somewhat normal. He then pulled another brand new 2014 around and it made the same exact clunk on shifts and on/off throttle. Only difference was it was slightly less as the car was not broke in yet. So its normal, and it sucks very much. My hope is the the Blastin Bob reso delete kit is loud enough so I will not hear it :)

Personally I think its cause to to much gap between ring and pinion.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Mine has cluncked since day one. Its normal bit you will get better at not cluncking. Kinda gives the car character:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
34 Posts
I purchased a 2014 Core 6 speed in October and have no drivetrain noise or clunks. That doesn't sound normal. Recommend the trip to the dealer and show them what she does and don't settle for less. I have been a ASE certified tech for over 30 years, 9 with Dodge and my son is a Service Manager at Chrysler. Neither of us feel or have heard of this as a normal (acceptable) issue. Spending 40 plus thousand dollars they need to make it right. Good Luck and hold your ground.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even if I was the push the issue I don't believe there is an immediate fix. Especially hard to argue this when the new car on the lot sounds the same. On top of that the Diff mounts to the body. Its only natural noise to be transferred. I don't think there is an easy fix unless the ring and pinion lash is just to large.

·
Registered
721 Posts
This issue along with the GetRag rear end whine are things that happen with this car setup. It's not a sign of something going wrong.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Perhaps your clutch/throttle action is a little early or late exaggerating a whomp through the drivetrain?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I’m 500 miles deep in the new car and its driving me nuts and has got a little louder after some more break-in. A little drive train noise is acceptable to me but this is ridiculous. There is nothing I can do to avoid the clunk. 1st-2nd is the worst. Altering my driving style does not help because with the clutch full in and coasting the act of changing gears from 1-2 makes the clunk noise. Slowly letting off the throttle in town, when the motor stop feeding fuel and starts engine braking, CLUNK.

I just feel its excessive and something can be done about it. What is my next step with dealer?? They agreed it seem too loud, but the other new 2014 had same noise, but doesn’t make it right. Even with the radio at moderate levels I can still hear the clunk. Sounds like a bowling ball rolling around in the trunk.

Is this all because the differential bolts run into the body? Why didn't they rubber isolate it then.... I really think this can be helped, I just do not know the correct way to go about it. Go directly to dealer or contact dodge?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts