Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Mine has cluncked since day one. Its normal bit you will get better at not cluncking. Kinda gives the car character:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I really noticed it when I first got it, then after "learning" how to drive the BEAST it's not so bad anymore.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a 2012 R/T with an automatic and have noticed a clunk as well.
I was thinking it was the limited slip dif kicking in and out, so I didn't think much about it.
When I had it inspected the tech noticed the issue and found the bolts from the driveshaft to the rear differential were loose.
He tighten them up and now the clunk is gone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know I am bringing this back again but I had some luck over the weekend that may help someone. I too had the clunk and it drove me nuts since I bought the car. Anyway, I feel like mine had multiple clunks and the rear end whine. This weekend I replaced the differential mounts (bushings) upper and lower. No more clunking from the rear end. I also drained and flushed the differential and replaced the fluid. No more whine. I found the factory bushings on eBay for around $13 each or you can get the urethane ones from any of the auto stores. Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I was thinking it was the limited slip dif kicking in and out, so I didn't think much about it.
When I had it inspected the tech noticed the issue and found the bolts from the driveshaft to the rear differential were loose.
Not normal on my 2010 R/T 6M since I don't have that noise at all and never did. I would investigate the above condition because that would bug me big time.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Thanks for posting your resolutions to this. Hopefully these suggestions can help others who are experiencing this noise.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I noticed it's the differential back-lash on the pinion gear in my car.

I can have my car up on a 2 post, 4 point lift, and cannot wiggle ANYTHING around on the rear end. Bushings are all good, no issues, even tried prying on them with a bar, nothing.

BUT, you go an spin the drive shaft a little, and there's a good inch of rotation 10-15 degrees I'd say, before the drive shaft engages the diff.

THAT is what makes the clunk in my car. Probably a lot of yours as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, this is true also. It is a bit disappointing to feel that much slack in the drive shaft. I felt like mine had kind of a "multi-clunk" sound that was eliminated by replacing these bushings. I really couldn't tell too much looking at them and prying but once they were out and compared with the new ones, it was obvious how much they had collapsed. When I say clunk is gone, I am referring to that one. The drive shaft clunk, I have learned to eliminate through driving habits. Before, no matter what I did, I would still get the clunk. If anyone figures out an adjustment to eliminate the drive shaft clunk, then I am all ears.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone with a follow up? I replaced the rear subframe cradle bushings with poly urethane from Whiteline and the differential bushings with energy or maybe vice versa. I swear my clunk is louder. One shop said the rag joint in the drive shaft was bad. I didn't fix that though. Any other potential bushings to replace?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Excellent information! Thanks.

I just purchased a low mileage 2012 SRT8. I've heard the "clunk" maybe 2 or 3 times in the 500+ miles I've driven. At first I thought something was rolling around in the trunk. But the trunk is empty. Anyway, I'm going to have a tech inspect mine for any loose rear driveshaft/differential bolts.

Thanks for relaying the potential fix.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Excellent information! Thanks.

I just purchased a low mileage 2012 SRT8. I've heard the "clunk" maybe 2 or 3 times in the 500+ miles I've driven. At first I thought something was rolling around in the trunk. But the trunk is empty. Anyway, I'm going to have a tech inspect mine for any loose rear driveshaft/differential bolts.

Thanks for relaying the potential fix.
Hi Dodgenovice,
If you are unable to remedy this concern with the assistance of fellow forum members, I kindly suggest connecting with us via PM and your local Dodge dealer as they are in the best position to assist.
Rob
DodgeCares

21 - 30 of 30 Posts