Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have had my RT for about a month now and a week in I noticed a pretty substantial sound coming from the wheels. It sounds like a cricket chirping or a bird. It is intermittent and specific to wheel speed as well. I figured the car is new maybe some parts need to wear in. Fast forward to now, its been two weeks the car has 1500km and is still making this noise.

I brought it into the dealer and they claim when they drove it they could not get the noise to appear. They said they removed the brakes and tires and could not find anything abnormal so it cant be a stuck rock or debris. Is it possible it could have something to do with the hand brake? Sometimes ill go for a drive car is fine, no weird noise. Park it, hand brake on. Return to car 5 minutes later. Take off the hand break and bam right away noise. I tried this today while on my way to work. Car was fine not making any noise, at a light put the car into park, applied hand brake, released hand brake, put it into drive and again right away the chirping is back.

Any idea what it could be? I cant keep going to the dealer, my vehicle has had several issues already which I had to bring it in for. Luckily they have been fixed but I can see this issue taking a lot longer to figure out.

Video below for the noise.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
202 Posts
+1 - I've got a list of about 5 or 6 things I need them to check and this is definitely one of them for me too. My car is a 2016 RT +.

Edit: Only notice with the window down and I've got about 9.5K on the car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,432 Posts
It's hard to identify the sound from your video. To start, I would take your car to another dealer and have your brakes checked again. Maybe something came loose or is misaligned.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Does the hand brake squeeze the pads against the rotor?-Maybe it is not releasing all the way and the pads are squeaking on the rotor-I'm just guessing by the way

·
Registered
680 Posts
Definitely sounds like a wheel or brake issue, frequency seems to be related to wheel rotation. Not sure what exactly it is.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Does the hand brake squeeze the pads against the rotor?-Maybe it is not releasing all the way and the pads are squeaking on the rotor-I'm just guessing by the way
No the handbrake is a drum/shoe setup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just started having this same issue on my 16 RT as well. I doesn't do it all the time and I can only hear it with the windows down. I also checked the brakes and there was no scratches in the disk or pads. It's bugging the hell out of me. 3k miles on car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts