Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,365 Posts
Hi all -- just picked up a new 2018 Pitch Black SRT 392. Awesome ride! Looking forward to reading some great tips and tricks here and participating in the community!
Congrats and welcome.
If I could go back to day one when my SRT was new, I would have done 2 things right away.

1. I would have changed out those rotor eating pads for some Powerstop Z23's immediately, and made up my mind to go easy on those brakes. Because I didn't know then what I know now, my front rotors are 50% gone and I'm facing the need to replace them way too soon. When I bought the car I had no idea that Dodge wanted nearly 2000.00 dollars for the front rotors alone.
2. I would have installed a catch can asap.

Just my opinion here, and of course the brake question depends on how you intend to use your car and what your priorities are. I can only speak for me.
But I do hope you love your new SRT as much as I love my 2015.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips -- what kind of reduction in braking performance did you notice after the pad swap? And what seems to be the pick of the catch cans? Prior to picking up the car, I had been looking into them. I seem to like the UPR can.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,972 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

Reactions: spepin

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Thanks for the tips -- what kind of reduction in braking performance did you notice after the pad swap? And what seems to be the pick of the catch cans? Prior to picking up the car, I had been looking into them. I seem to like the UPR can.

I have done the same pad swap, they are less grabby now (more user friendly) and still stop like nothing I have tried before, bearing in mind I did change them early (low miles) so don't have the best before and after experience. They say there is a difference but I think it would be more noticed on the track than the street. I got a BT catch can, mainly for looks, they are not cheep. I can't comment on which is the best as I have not compared it to any other.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Spepin,
Z23's are made for the street: stop and go driving and the usual braking from 50 at those yellow lights. They work great, put an end to the insane amount of brake dust the standard 6 piston brembo pads make, and get rid of the touchy nature of the brakes on this car. But the biggest plus is reduced rotor wear. You might also consider calling Powerstop and ask to talk to one of their engineers. It was quite an experience for me. Performance is very similar and the car will still stop on a dime when called for. However, they are not track pads. If you plan to race this car, they will fade prematurely. You can't have it both ways: so it depends on how you plan to use your car. Super easy to switch out the pads, many videos available.

I use a UPR can: love it. A little more than a BP, but worth it to me. UPR also sells an upgrade kit for BP cans, and that fact alone sold me. Below is a pic of mine.
[/url]IMG_0077 by gary house, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]Untitled by gary house, on Flickr[/IMG]

You might also consider ZL1 add ons lift pads for the front. Prevents damage to the area when lifting. This is the area under the door hinge where they bolt on:
[/url]image by gary house, on Flickr[/IMG]

See them here: CLICKY

Blow up the second picture on the website. You'll see the print on them that says, "LIFT HERE." This is a plus whenever some shop lifts your car. They'll see it right away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks garyahouse for the awesome info. Any point in swapping the rear pads to Powerstop also, or just leave them stock?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thanks garyahouse for the awesome info. Any point in swapping the rear pads to Powerstop also, or just leave them stock?
Good question. I changed my rears as well to keep everything the same. Just playing it safe. However, the rears don't wear anything like the fronts. I'd say that the fronts wear 50 percent faster. And the rear rotors are much cheaper than the fronts.

·
Registered
14,414 Posts
I just did the fronts on my SRT with Z23, I took the rears off to inspect.and then put the OEM pads back on. Love the Z23 brakes in front, great pads for the street.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just did the fronts on my SRT with Z23, I took the rears off to inspect.and then put the OEM pads back on. Love the Z23 brakes in front, great pads for the street.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
This is exactly what I did. I whole-heartedly concur with all that Gary said regarding the brake pads, change them out ASAP. I left mine on for almost 7k miles, wish I had done it on day one. Powerstop Z-23's are the way to go.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new ride.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
719 Posts
...also welcome from California...and I also went with the Z23's after originals we done...SOOOOO much nicer...for all the reasons that are mentioned...and the catch can....

PS...One word "Black"

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sad that we still haven't received any definitive numbers from members here on rotor wear with these Z23 pads. That's one more reason that I switched them all. Granted the front rotors wear faster than the rears, and they cost more, but the rear rotors still cost several times more than any rotor I've ever replaced: "Money don't grow on trees, son," Dad used to say.
So I measured each rotor when I had them apart, posted them on this forum, and will indeed provide some wear numbers once I get a few miles on them. However I only put about 4500 miles on the car in the last year so it will take me awhile. But the engineer at Powerstop that provided our forum with so much info last year also said that he believed the Z23's would be much easier on the rotors. And for me, his three engineering degrees trump any opinion that John Q public could render, including my own.

Mud flaps: forgot to mention that. These monster tires sling a lot of gravel. I live on a dirt road so this matters. I have Dodge OEM flaps purchased from Amazon: about 75 bucks for 4.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Good tips above, I'll just suggest getting the front clear-bra'd asap - before that first ding which really stands out on a dark car.

Ain't nothin' like a black Challenger! :)

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Gratz on the sweet new SRT and welcome!!

I also changed from the stock pads on my T/A 392 to Powerstops. Same experience as above - still stops likea champ when you need it, but not quite as aggressively as the stock pads. Brake dust levels dropped 90%. I did the front and the rear; it's an easy job.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts