Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

I recently traded for 2014 SRT8 Core Challenger for a 2019 Challenger Wide body Scat Pack. After driving home, she sat in the driveway without moving for about three weeks, as
we had lots of salt on the roads and I didn't want to drive in it (I'm in upstate NY).

Since my SRT8 would occasionally have the pads stick to the rotors, I figured I would take the Scat up and down the block to avoid any stuck pads -- too late.
It seems the big Brembos in the front are stuck fast, and my gravel driveway isn't helping, since the rear driver's side spins before getting enough traction to pop the front pads loose.

Things I've tried:

1) Used traction "rescue" boards from Amazon, but the rear driver-side starts to spin before getting any purchase.
I placed a rescue board under the pass side tire as well, but that tire doesn't spin at all

2) Turned off stability control in the hopes I could get the passenger side tire to turn in concert with the driver's side -- no joy...got the same result -- even with ESC off

3) Put the wife in the car and pushed --hahaha ..just had to try it, but it's futile

I'm hoping I'm not screwed and have to have it flat-towed (moved by wrecker to break the pad free). I'm new to the car (I've driven it < 60 miles, so I wanted to get on here and
tap into some collective wisdom)

It's not so much the money with getting a wrecker involved, it's more that I might be challenged to find someone who can do it without damaging the car --- therefore this is my avenue of last resort.

Any ideas from the community? (Is there anything I can do to enage both rears at once? Like I said, currently on the driver's side is turning)
Thanks in advance!!!!!

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,611 Posts
How about raising the front and removing the wheels. Then tap the calipers with a rubber mallet. Kind of like trying to open a stubborn jar lid. You’ll also have access to the pads themselves to try other non-damaging loosening methods.

On a side note, I just moved mine out of the garage after about a 10 day period. I parked it after washing it. Well, when I moved it, I thought I hit something! Turned out is was a wheel breaking loose from the pads being bonded to the rotor. I’ve had them stick lightly like this before, but this was a lot more violent.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Some heat may help...do you have a heat gun?

If you get the calipers/pads up to a couple of hundred degrees it might be enough to break em loose. Other than that, see what google/youtube says...let us know!

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Did you try rocking it back and forth between drive and reverse?

·
Super Moderator
14,138 Posts
I would try the rubber mallet idea first.

If that doesn't work, remove two lug nuts and loosen the remaining ones on each front wheel. Drive back slowly about 3 feet. The wheel wobble should break the rotors loose.

As a last resort, jack up your car and remove the front wheels. Using a flat edge screwdriver, carefully pry each piston away from the rotor. Watch the following Brembo brake pad change video.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
The 6-pistons will often lock up like this, even after washing your car and then putting away without driving to dry them out, they will lock up.

If that doesn't work, remove two lug nuts and loosen the remaining ones on each front wheel. Drive back slowly about 3 feet. The wheel wobble should break the rotors loose.
Good idea and should work. On trailers where the wheel would get stuck to the hub, this was the easiest way to get the wheel to pop loose. We left all 5 lug nuts on, just back them off a turn after unseating.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
2,524 Posts
Other then removing a wheel and opening the calipers, I don't have another suggestion, but I will say this happen to me as well.
My car sat for about 10 days in my detached garage around Christmas, and when I tried to drive it, it wouldn't move. But a bit of gas and they broke free. Also it took about 10 miles of stop and go driving until they felt normal again. I was cringing that I would need a new $700 rotor.

·
Registered
411 Posts
wow that's wild. A1Moose, did you wash the Challenger and then it went super-cold in weather ? Maybe some water froze around the calipers?
I like Enginerds suggestion above, a heat gun or if you don't have one use a hair dryer to gradually warm/dry.
I don't think you would want to heat the rotors with a propane touch. Don't want to chance on warping.

I have never had this condition. Sometimes my Dodge ram CTD would sit for a month or two, and this never happened. The Challenger stays at the storage facility and may sit for a month, but always rolls out easily.
You could always, after you wash your car, if you are going to let it sit in the garage for a while, a month or two, dry out the calipers with a leaf blower. I use my electric leaf blower to dry the car after I wash it. Dry those calipers so they won't freeze when its cold.
I understand, avoiding the salt !
Hope this helps some,
best
parrott

·
Registered
232 Posts
I would second waumo's idea above, rock the car back and forth changing between drive and reverse gear with a little gas not too much to spin the tires but enough to get the brake rotors moving in both directions.

With your car being so new there is a slim chance the calipers have physically seized up unless there is a fault in the brake system. My hunch is the water and cold temperatures have oxidized the brake rotors (just a guess but the rotors are probably a nice brown or green color on the surface at the moment) which in turn means the small metal particles in the brake pad material have bonded to the brake rotor and cause a temporary bond. The surface area of the 6 piston brake pads are fairly large and hence 4 of these large pads bonded to 2 brake rotors will pose a challenge but the rocking motion should free them up.

Hope this helps and let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
1 post, and now we wait. I wonder if in a salt area. BTW I looked up the 15.4" rotors, they are something like 33# each!

·
Registered
516 Posts
1 post, and now we wait. I wonder if in a salt area. BTW I looked up the 15.4" rotors, they are something like 33# each!
Well we want performance brakes right? Then mass/size is how you get it done.

*Excluding carbon/ceramic combos at $5-$10k per rotor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the ideas ...part of my issue is the gravel driveway, which I hoped to mitigate with the rescue boards , here at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AV2HONS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , but the rear didn't walk up onto the board the way I had hoped. (The spinning just caused the rear to settle into the gravel)

The revised plan is jack up the rear and set down on the board and then try the rocking.

This should do it, as I think YouMadBro's comment is spot on in that it's just oxidation and metal particles giving me the grief..(fingers crossed that there's no rotor damage!)

As a side note, I can't wait ti get this car on the track at Watkins Glen; I'll miss the 6-speed SRT8 that I traded for the SCAT, but from what I see and hear, the 8 speed auto really bangs.

I'll update after I jack her up and try the rescue boards again (but with lots more traction this time)
Thanks again to all for taking the time to respond.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,184 Posts
Once corrected, maybe some Hyde’s Serum Rustopper ?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
696 Posts
WOW !! So scared my HUGE brakes will keep my sleeping SRT 8 buried under 3 feet of snow come spring...…………..

Time to trade it in for a Honda !!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
WOW !! So scared my HUGE brakes will keep my sleeping SRT 8 buried under 3 feet of snow come spring...…………..

Time to trade it in for a Honda !!
huh?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts