Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I trade this perfectly fine 2019 Scat Pack in for a 2020 Widebody Scat Pack. Bought it Friday morning, drove off the lot - 4 hours later it was getting towed back to the dealer.
As I was pulling up to a light, engine sputtered and cut out. Would not start back up.

Dealer has not been helpful or forthcoming with info (odd, you would think if a customer drove off the lot with a $55k vehicle, there would be some kind of customer service). Finally got a hold of the service manager, who kicked me over the advisor that hadn't returned phone calls or emails. Said that it's a broken valve spring.

Seriously? I ask if that would cause significant engine damage? She asked the tech and the response was no, the valve springs are on top of the head. No $hit...But it could drop a valve and cause serious damage.

To which the advisor said they'll call when it's done.

70 miles...4 hours...$13750/hour of enjoyment (not including waiting for towtruck for hours)...

Is this one doomed for a life in service?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I trade this perfectly fine 2019 Scat Pack in for a 2020 Widebody Scat Pack. Bought it Friday morning, drove off the lot - 4 hours later it was getting towed back to the dealer.
As I was pulling up to a light, engine sputtered and cut out. Would not start back up.

Dealer has not been helpful or forthcoming with info (odd, you would think if a customer drove off the lot with a $55k vehicle, there would be some kind of customer service). Finally got a hold of the service manager, who kicked me over the advisor that hadn't returned phone calls or emails. Said that it's a broken valve spring.

Seriously? I ask if that would cause significant engine damage? She asked the tech and the response was no, the valve springs are on top of the head. No $hit...But it could drop a valve and cause serious damage.

70 miles...4 hours...$13750/hour of enjoyment (not including waiting for towtruck for hours)...

Wow that's a scary thought.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,519 Posts
Demand the powertrain warranty be extended.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yikes, that's not good. Hope it gets turned around. I'd have them extend the power train warranty extended, or have them buy it back from you. That's no way to get started with a new car.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
413 Posts
I trade this perfectly fine 2019 Scat Pack in for a 2020 Widebody Scat Pack.....
Welcome to the forum! As you are a pre-existing Scat Pack owner, I am surprised this is your first post.

Was this the dealership you purchased the 2019 Scat Pack from? Buying a new car every year, I would think the dealership is more willing to take care of you. Can you share the name of the dealership? I know Scat Packs are in short supply right now - someone on this forum may be looking to pick up your trade-in at a good price.

·
Super Moderator
15,782 Posts
There were issues with 6.1s having broken valve springs early in service life.

if there was a flaw in materials, the spring can be brittle and fail or metal fatigue. Its not common but those rare instances can happen.

If the valve head snapped off, it would have caused damage to the head (and piston) and that would have to be replaced. Another thing is replacing the intake manifold as there could be metal debris if the above events took place.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sorry to hear this. You see YouTube videos of rental SRT 8 getting hammered no problems. WHO IS THE DEALER?

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
568 Posts
4 hours, tell them to unwind the deal, then again why would you join the forum now to make your 1st post a negative one and not before when you had a perfectly good 2019 Scat Pack?
There seems to have been a handful of "first post , negative post" incidents on this and other forums. Especially since Dodge received the initial satisfaction award. Presuming that this post is legit, I'm guessing the OP isn't impressed with the award.

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
A very costly trade, and in so many ways.

Wow!

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
413 Posts
There seems to have been a handful of "first post , negative post" incidents on this and other forums. ....
"Social media influencer" is one of the latest marketing buzz phrases. Individuals join social communities and talk about how much they absolutely love Product X, even though they know nothing about it.

I am wondering if the next upcoming trend is "Negative social media influencers" where individuals are paid to make negative comments, hoping to drive an adverse view of Product X. Compounding the problem is content lasts forever on the Internet. It won't be today, but someone may Google "6.4 Hemi problems", stumble across this message and take it as fact without looking further. This may discourage them from purchasing a vehicle with a 6.4 Hemi.

Always look at when someone joined and the number of posts they have made before investing too much effort in a reply.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
"Social media influencer" is one of the latest marketing buzz phrases. Individuals join social communities and talk about how much they absolutely love Product X, even though they know nothing about it.

I am wondering if the next upcoming trend is "Negative social media influencers" where individuals are paid to make negative comments, hoping to drive an adverse view of Product X. Compounding the problem is content lasts forever on the Internet. It won't be today, but someone may Google "6.4 Hemi problems", stumble across this message and take it as fact without looking further. This may discourage them from purchasing a vehicle with a 6.4 Hemi.

Always look at when someone joined and the number of posts they have made before investing too much effort in a reply.
It wouldn’t surprise me at all. The company I work for has a social media department where they go and say positive things about our products and those that work with us.

It wouldn’t surprise me if a company then directed negative comments about competitors. I could never do it.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,873 Posts
Not to pile on, but something ain’t stirring the kool-aid here...

let’s recap:
1) the OP previously acquired a Challenger that sits toward the top of the list in desirability for the platform, and he ostensibly enjoyed owning/driving the car very much.

2) he enjoyed it so much that he traded it in the very next year to get a newer, even more desirable version of the same car. (Let’s put aside for now all the financial and economical problems this action implies)

3) despite such a positive experience with the previous car, he was never moved to the point of wanting to associate or converse with like-minded individuals that can be found in abundance on this forum, the go-to Internet forum for the car platform in question.

4) once the new car broke down, everything went to sh*t, including the support and service he received from the dealership where the new car was obtained. No one there was helpful and apparently tried to avoid any communication with the OP. (Also, Their attitudes and level of effort remain minimal and unsatisfactory.)

5) the OP has not specified which dealership has been so unhelpful and dismissing yet.

6) after all this, the OP was moved to create and account here and author a rant about the negative experience, however since the initial post, there have been 0 replies to others’ responses and 0 updates to the thread with the latest news or to add more details as requested by others.

That’s pretty much the gist of the situation, right? I’m not missing or misunderstanding anything?

If so, I believe something else is going on or there is some ulterior motive at play here. All of that is plausible individually, but all together it just falls apart, for me anyway.

Kinda reminiscent of that one and done thread about the killer challenger starting itself and running in the garage, isnt it??

·
Registered
2010 srt8 challenger 6 speed
27 Posts
A dealership can be a big pain in the butt especially the service dept but I've never had one just blow me off when I just bought a new car. Also one that's only a few hours old. The contract could be cancelled on the spot only being that old. They would atleast do what ever it took to keep you till the contract was binding. You definitely have the upper hand in that situation.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
568 Posts
Not to pile on, but something ain’t stirring the kool-aid here...

let’s recap:
1) the OP previously acquired a Challenger that sits toward the top of the list in desirability for the platform, and he ostensibly enjoyed owning/driving the car very much.

2) he enjoyed it so much that he traded it in the very next year to get a newer, even more desirable version of the same car. (Let’s put aside for now all the financial and economical problems this action implies)

3) despite such a positive experience with the previous car, he was never moved to the point of wanting to associate or converse with like-minded individuals that can be found in abundance on this forum, the go-to Internet forum for the car platform in question.

4) once the new car broke down, everything went to sh*t, including the support and service he received from the dealership where the new car was obtained. No one there was helpful and apparently tried to avoid any communication with the OP. (Also, Their attitudes and level of effort remain minimal and unsatisfactory.)

5) the OP has not specified which dealership has been so unhelpful and dismissing yet.

6) after all this, the OP was moved to create and account here and author a rant about the negative experience, however since the initial post, there have been 0 replies to others’ responses and 0 updates to the thread with the latest news or to add more details as requested by others.

That’s pretty much the gist of the situation, right? I’m not missing or misunderstanding anything?

If so, I believe something else is going on or there is some ulterior motive at play here. All of that is plausible individually, but all together it just falls apart, for me anyway.

Kinda reminiscent of that one and done thread about the killer challenger starting itself and running in the garage, isnt it??
Yep. You got the gist of the situation.

And should the OP ever return to this thread and provide the dealership name and other details that might glue the story back together; then I'll offer an apology.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Broke Friday. Techs were probably off for the weekend. Monday is here, they need to free up a stall, assign a tech, diagnose the problem, relay the information and form a repair plan.

Sounds like the dealer did a good job to me. The car will be repaired under warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts

Hello njhemi,
We sincerely regret to hear of your troubles and would like to offer our assistance. Please do not hesitate to follow up with us via privately.

Lamar
DodgeCares

1 - 20 of 44 Posts