Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got my new wheels and tires on the car today. The wheel offset was calculated by the wheel company based on my car being a 2012 SRT-8 lowered an inch by MOPAR springs and was supposed to tuck them enough as to not rub. Well, that failed. They used a 20mm offset. The tires are 295/40/20. That's a touch taller tire, but they assured me the offset would take care of things.

Interestingly, they seem to not rub in sport mode... but I hate sport mode! I've got a bad back so getting jolted by every bump is not a real good thing.

From what I can tell it is rubbing on the fender's metal lip and not the inside plastic. I took a small straight edge and measured straight up and the spots on the tires are in line with the metal.

I suppose I will take it to a body shop on Monday to see what they think... UGH... I'll post some pictures later... when I am in a better mood.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what is the width of the rim and what brand tire? An easy fix by rolling the metal lip
The rim is 20x10.5
The tires are Continental Extreme Contact 295/40/20

Sure, the tires are a bit taller than OEM, but I was told that it wouldn't make a difference because I was being conservative with going with a 295. The offset is wrong by a little because if they were tucked just a shade more it wouldn't rub.

I sent pictures to the dealer who sold them to me... waiting for a reply...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
yeah, if you wanted them tucked .. 25mm or greater was the magic number. Also, Continentals run big like Michelin's. That did not help the situation.

As I stated above, rolling the fender will work. Also, shaving 5mm off the pad of the rim will work also. I did that once when I rubbed on a classic Jaguar.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I told them to do it +25mm and they insisted that +20 would be better. I questioned it, but the salesman stated that he talked it all over with the engineers like they always do so I went with it...

I am giving them a chance to come up with a solution for me before I disclose the name of the company... and if they don't help me I will blast them on all the forums I am involved in. The weather is finally getting better and I can't drive the car.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would definitely try to get the right wheels FIRST. Especially before permanently modified the body and being forced to run wide tires forever .
I’de raise hell theres no reason you should have any rub im lowered about 3 inches on a 295/45R18 and barely rub (i scrape more)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Rolling the fenders won't hurt the cars appearance. Pretty sure the 2015's and up come rolled from the factory.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You ever seen a car with rolled fenders then the owner put stock wheels back on? Absolutely funky but depends how much they are pulled

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You ever seen a car with rolled fenders then the owner put stock wheels back on? Absolutely funky but depends how much they are pulled
I would also worry about the long-term effect on the paint... This is my retirement cruiser (gonna retire in a couple years), so I don't want any issues with paint someday. The paint on these things is so thin to begin with. If someone has had their fenders rolled on these cars for 20 years then tell me how it worked... oh, wait these are less than 20 years old.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
George, if you do not want to roll the fenders then the only other option is for them to shave the wheel pad (unless there isn't enough meat). I doubt they will give you new ones but that will be righteous thing for them to do. Hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
+1 see if they are willing to get them machined down from the hub side as long as they don’t take off a crazy amount (sounds like you only need a few mm) it should be safe. Cant imagine it would be too expensive to do on your dime as well.

Good luck man

1 - 12 of 12 Posts