Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test drove a 2010 SRT yesterday. Really liked it. Waiting to try a 392 before making a final decision. Don't know what I'm doing...can't afford it, don't need it....can't stop thinking about it.

Now that I drove the SRT I don't think I'd be satisfied with an RT. didn't want a sun roof either, but I think my kids in the back seat will really want it since they don't have much of a side window and them risking with me means a lot more time behind the wheel for me.

I'm sure I'll be here doing as much research as possible in the mean time.

Next problem will be the color...

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Thingfish, Welcome aboard! :) This forum conatins a wealth of knowledge on the Challenger.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Not sure how to resolve your problems, but I saw a 392 at a dealer that was white with wide blue racing stripes and it was BEAUTIFUL! :)

Forgot to mention, I don't think most owners felt liked they NEEDED it, so you're not alone. But one good reason to need it is to make yourself happy, and happy people seem to live longer! I don't know your age, but I'm 63 so I think about these things. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I needed my RT cause my wife said I could get it if I really thought I needed it. So I needed it. The rest of the decitions you have to make but you do need it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Test drove a 2010 SRT yesterday. Really liked it. Waiting to try a 392 before making a final decision. Don't know what I'm doing...can't afford it, don't need it....can't stop thinking about it.

Now that I drove the SRT I don't think I'd be satisfied with an RT. didn't want a sun roof either, but I think my kids in the back seat will really want it since they don't have much of a side window and them risking with me means a lot more time behind the wheel for me.

I'm sure I'll be here doing as much research as possible in the mean time.

I understand your position. However, being one who drooled over a 392 I ended up getting an R/T and haven't looked back. Man, you get 95% of the goodness of the 392 for much less money. There are several '10 R/T's on Ebay for $28-$32k. That difference alone will help you sleep better at night. I gave $29,995 for my Hurst and I don't care that it's not a 392.

Don't beat yourself up. If you can't spring for the 392 then get an R/T. You won't be sorry. Buy it and ENJOY it.

Remember, the grass is always greener......even for the 392 guys.
(Nothing against you guys, just making a point).

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the support guys. Want/need, need/want...maybe i can a letter from my doctor? I'm only 43, but living longer is deffinately on my list of things to do. Maybe I'm quitting too early on the RT option. I better try one just to be sure...I'll look more dilligent to my wife at least. "see honey, I'm trying to save as much money as possible...just a few more test drives"

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
If you know someone with a RT that would be better. They kinda suck untill you give them a little wake up. At least the autos I can't speak for the 6 speeds. $500 will wake it up well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I drove both and am very happy with the 5.7 all the power I need and 24 mpg on the hwy. If you want more power you can add a catback and a tuner just a thought. R.I.P. FZ

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
if money is an issue, you can get 2010 left overs for $9300 off and there's Yellow and Orange ones left

if money is not an issue then go for the 392...i test drove a 2010 a while back...the 392 is worth the extra $$

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I would like to say welcome to the best Challenger Forum. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM any of the Admin/Moderators.

Also, please be sure to read General Forum Rules - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Thanks for joining our forum, please enjoy and we look forward to your participation. :bigthumb:

best of luck and you won't be disappointed maybe a 2011 green with envy :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all. I am planning this weekend to try the RT also. I am excited about 2010 prices (and colors) for both the RT and SRT...I'm just afraid the 392 will make it hard to sleep at night...I will post an update after more test drives this weekend.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Thanks all. I am planning this weekend to try the RT also. I am excited about 2010 prices (and colors) for both the RT and SRT...I'm just afraid the 392 will make it hard to sleep at night...I will post an update after more test drives this weekend.
I hope you get exactly what you want. Any way you go, you can't go wrong.
Waiting to see your updates.....

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just tucked my new baby into the garage. 2010 DW Blue R/T 6 speed with Nav & Sunroof. $9000 off. Yow! So my point is, I have shopped for 12 months now, and was just not justifying anything over $30K with my current budget. Both my local dealers were running low on the 2010's and when I heard the latest deal, I jumped. I paid less than wholesale Blue Book for my set-up. I'm an antique dealer, and the mantra is, "buy low". It feels great to have swung such a deal. If budget is an issue for you like it was for me, forget the 392 and scour ebay and make some offers $9000 or more off sticker, or check all local dealers. My local dealer had a nice Silver SRT automatic, $8000 off sticker. Yeah, I dreamed about an SRT and the black Mopar model for a while, but the R/T is affordable, better mileage on road trips (which is the main point to having one for me) and still has muscle. I did see a few new SRT's well under $40K on ebay. Either R/T or SRT, the 2010 deals leave a LOT of money in your pocket for other things, unless you are really bringing in a big paycheck right now.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks ragtop. I am deffinately looking. Seems like 35k will get you into a 2010 SRT....really did like the 392 though. My budget will cry if I drop the extra cash. Still weighing it out. If I can find a '11 for 43k I may have to tie myself to a chair...

·
Registered
558 Posts
ebay has a plum crazy 2010 SRT at $36.4K, or best offer. That would be nice. One thing that works for me if I stretch the budget a bit further than I should have (which I just did, even with a price under $31K)- work like crazy in my home business after-hours. If you have the ability to work overtime or have a home business, spend first on what you want, and then work like a dog!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Lol, I had a feeling you were from SoCal reading your posts. My guess you went to
GET Dodge.

Anyway, we have a few things in common. I had a Charger before my Challenger and
knew I wanted to go back to a manual. Driving the 6 speed Challenger confirmed this.
I also own a Harley and like you said, fun at any speed. These cars will do close to
180 but when will you ever get to go over a 100 realistically. On a 6 speed you get
to row through the gears all the time, on ramps are a blast.

I tend to disagree with most of what Huggy says though, IMO, down the road who
knows what these cars will bring, I really doubt they'll get $4k more for a 392 and
even if they do they paid for it at least 2 fold. And like you said most dealers around
here want $47k + for the IE's. So you are looking at a difference of $10k plus, not
worth it IMO but that's just me. That said I'm sure Huggy loves his 392 and so would
I.

If you did go to GET I bought their last SRT 6 speed in Sept. If you talk to the internet
sales manager Brad I'm sure he'd find you a 6 speed and get it to LB.

Edit - after clicking on your man vs auto thread I think I mixed up my threads/posts lol.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
spend first on what you want, and then work like a dog!
Ha! That does tend to be my method of choice...hence my wife and I's motorcycles, Jeep Wrangler, dinner at Ruth's Chris...the list goes on...possibly to include a Challenger...and that doesn't even scratch the surface of what our kids need.

Lol, I had a feeling you were from SoCal reading your posts. My guess you went to
GET Dodge.
Yup. Torrential rain and all. They seem to have the best inventory of RTs and SRTs. I've had a real nice experience there so far. They've been real nice and helpful. Hope to buy and service with them, so I hope we can agree on price when I'm ready to make the deal. Sounds like you came away happy.

I tend to disagree with most of what Huggy says though, IMO, down the road who
knows what these cars will bring, I really doubt they'll get $4k more for a 392 and
even if they do they paid for it at least 2 fold. And like you said most dealers around
here want $47k + for the IE's. So you are looking at a difference of $10k plus, not
worth it IMO but that's just me. That said I'm sure Huggy loves his 392 and so would
I.
They are damn nice...especially that white manual they have sitting there....gotta be strong...resale isn't really my angle anyway. I plan to keep it and be satisfied. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my Harley which just seems to get better with age...

If you did go to GET I bought their last SRT 6 speed in Sept. If you talk to the internet
sales manager Brad I'm sure he'd find you a 6 speed and get it to LB.

Edit - after clicking on your man vs auto thread I think I mixed up my threads/posts lol.
It's all good. You just rolled them all into one, which is where I'm at...trying to get everything I want in one car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts