Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
At the bottom of the article they list several other mopar parts coming out.

One is:

Mopar Aluminum Engine Blocks: Available in three versions for the HEMI Gen III engine, these blocks are 100 pounds lighter than the cast-iron block. PN: P5155507, P5153897, P5153898; MSRP: $4,485.

Their catalog has been updated. Looks like you can now swap out an iron 6.1 block for an aluminum block.
Wonder if they'll come out with an aluminum block for the 392.

This one:

Mopar Valvetrain Tie Bars: For the HEMI Gen III, valvetrain tie bars increase the stiffness of the rocker shaft attachment to the cylinder head and provide increased valvetrain stability at higher RPMs. PN: P5155654 (5.7/6.1L), P5155655 (6.4L); MSRP: $399.

I don't understand. Can someone explain what exactly it would do for you?

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Wow, that factory Hemi looks like a good "bang for the buck". Some strong numbers posted for the price.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If it's the same bore as the 392 (4.09") then the stroke would be approximately 4.05".

·
Registered
335 Posts
If it's the same bore as the 392 (4.09") then the stroke would be approximately 4.05".

That would be approximately the same as a iron block 426, except for weight there would be no advantage

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
That would be approximately the same as a iron block 426, except for weight there would be no advantage
Yup. Hard to believe they would put an engine with that bore/stroke ratio into production on a street car. If they did, I'm feeling really good about the life expectancy of my own pwr 426

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
When stepping up to the Al block engines,I wanted to pick the rotating assembly and top end componets for my specific HP and TQ we are after, in going with a crate engine you don't get that choice. That's why working with Andy @ PWR is worth it's weight in gold, team work, my inputs and his experience along with what others have done that worked and didn't, priceless information.
Tout09

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
OK guys, educate me on this. Is the crate motor not the "best" bore/stroke combo for the street??? Camming??? General build/specs.

I'm considering this mod at some point, and it just seems like this Chrysler crate unit "has at all" for a good hp/torque street motor with an automatic.

Appreciate comments on what is specifically good/bad about this motor for just a street driven car.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
You missed a few points. It's a beefier siamese block that has stronger main caps and with the same throw iron "426" crank I can bore out to 440 cubic inches with wall to spare. The weight savings are just gravy, IMO.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looks great, kudos to Chrysler for bringing this out at a nice price point.

That being said I'll stick with paying more and having a shop build up a motor (using the new aluminum block, of course :bigthumb:) with the option of choosing exactly what you want and have the motor act the way you'd like it to.

The valvetrain tie bars are interesting as well; possibly increase redline up a couple hundred RPM?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts