Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new here and am having some difficulty making a decision on a Challenger. To give you some background, I'm 27, and have been into cars nearly all my life. I bought an 08 Vette, and well flash forward 3 years, I got married and my wife and I are about to have a boy any day now.

My wife has a Grand Cherokee, so she has the practical vehicle set. Since finding out that we are expecting, I have been interested in the Mustang GT and Challenger. Let's just say reverse facing baby seats eliminated the Mustang. I was shocked at how roomy the interior of the Challenger actually was. It seems to be the best of both worlds as the Challenger is fun and still somewhat practical.

I am now debating between a new Classic R/T or a leftover 2010 SRT. This would not be my primary vehicle, I have a 2003 Chevy S-10 for commuting, although the Challenger would be used for bringing the little guy to my dad's house and on the weekends.

I love the looks and slightly better fuel mileage of the Classic, but I am getting the feeling that I would kick myself in the as* if I did not get the SRT. Who wouldn't want an extra 50hp? :) A new 392 is a little out of my price range as I would prefer to save the extra $5K + money for a house. Any advice?

·
Registered
411 Posts
When my 09 r/t died I was split on a 10 SRT left over or a new 11 R/T Classic. I drove both and yes the SRT is faster but not all that much faster. I decided on the Classic R/T I just like the looks of the thing.

With the discount I got on the 11 Classic I was still 5 k under the left over 10 SRT.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It all depends on your financial situation. Sounds like you don't have a home so I would say save at least 50K cash for a home down payment before thinking about the car. Don't rush into having the flashy car...you have other priorities.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
there may never be a better time to buy a left over 2010 srt....you will kick yourself years from now if you can afford it and dont go for it....remember at resale someday the srt will always sell for a premium over a RT....

what colors are you looking at?

there may be some Mopar 10's out there too..someone found one for $30k a few weeks ago

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am new here and am having some difficulty making a decision on a Challenger. To give you some background, I'm 27, and have been into cars nearly all my life. I bought an 08 Vette, and well flash forward 3 years, I got married and my wife and I are about to have a boy any day now.

My wife has a Grand Cherokee, so she has the practical vehicle set. Since finding out that we are expecting, I have been interested in the Mustang GT and Challenger. Let's just say reverse facing baby seats eliminated the Mustang. I was shocked at how roomy the interior of the Challenger actually was. It seems to be the best of both worlds as the Challenger is fun and still somewhat practical.

I am now debating between a new Classic R/T or a leftover 2010 SRT. This would not be my primary vehicle, I have a 2003 Chevy S-10 for commuting, although the Challenger would be used for bringing the little guy to my dad's house and on the weekends.

I love the looks and slightly better fuel mileage of the Classic, but I am getting the feeling that I would kick myself in the as* if I did not get the SRT. Who wouldn't want an extra 50hp? :) A new 392 is a little out of my price range as I would prefer to save the extra $5K + money for a house. Any advice?
If they are the same price, get the 2010 SRT. All the extras the SRT comes with make it the better deal. Forget gas mileage as an issue for either of these cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies . With regard to my financial situation, let's just say I'll meet that down payment criteria on the house and then some. I'm just trying to figure out where the housing market is going. We most likely won't be buying a home until sometime next year.

Getting back to the Challenger, you guys are definitely swaying me towards the SRT. Honestly in CT, there seems to be more left over 2010 SRT's then 2011 Classic R/T's.

I need to get in contact with the dealers and do some negotiating.

Regarding colors, there are 3 that I am interested in: Hemi Orange, Torred, and Silver. Both the orange and red are "stripe delete" cars.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
$9,300 off on 6 speeds should be the starting point...ive been offered this a few times 4 months ago...by now it should be $10-12k off

get the orange..good luck....id do a cars.com search and get multiple prices before you go to any dealership...some still want sticker while many others have realistic prices.....i drove to another state to get the car i wanted...a 2 hour drive is worth it to get what you want....

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I'll jump in with my opinion which is the 2010 SRT is now caught in limbo; it's not the top dog anymore. Yes, it has some features the R/T Classic doesn't, but the Classic has some things like the retro stripes and forged retro wheels that the SRT doesn't.

I have a 2010 Classic, I didn't even consider an SRT when I was shopping because with nearly 400HP on the Classic, I could care less for any more. The Classic has the sound, the looks etc. that is a real attention getter, not that the SRT doesn't get attention as well.

Ultimately, it comes down to what is worth it to you. Like someone else posted, if you're thinking about buying a house, be 100% sure you have what you need for a down payment. Since the recession, lenders are requiring 20% down unless you buy mortgage insurance, which will then add more $$$$ to your monthly payment.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
SRT is more than just HP

its brakes, handling, seats, etc,etc,etc,etc

i do admit the RT side stripes look better than the hood stripes (my wife always asks why RT's look better), but the SRT will out perform the RT in every way (except MPG).....there will never be such a good time to get a SRT....(unless someday the 426 becomes the standard engine)....

the retro wheels are just craiger copys....some like the chrome craiger look, but id prefer the SRT 20's anyday......the RT rims are retro,but not Dodge retro to 1970....they are Craiger retro to 1988 (everyone had these rims on their cars when i was in high school in 1988, dunno if they made them in 1970?)

someday when you sell the SRT you'll get thousands more in resale...you may get 1/2 of most of what your paying extra for now..consider it an investment...(an investment that loses money)

·
Registered
531 Posts
You will love either, but I would go SRT myself. You are getting stripe delete so the R/T stripe aren't a factor anyway. HO is an awesome color.

You mentioned rear facing baby seat. Not sure where this factors in you choice, but you cannot disable the passenger airbags in the challenger so no little kids in the front seat as far I know. As for back seats, with a middle seat shoulder belt you can't beat the challenger for a fully functional family rocket! Our 3 kids fit perfectly.

I see Lee Brown pm'd you. I, and many others on the forum had a great experience buying from him. I highly recommend him.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If we all agreed upon a particular model,color,and equipment, there would be no need for anything else.
No matter what you choose,there will always be doubt.
Buy the one you like,not the one others do.It's your money.

·
Registered
402 Posts
While I'm sure I've missed it somewhere... you've test driven both right?
If you haven't - please do. They're completely different animals.

·
Super Moderator
14,738 Posts
SRT is more than just HP
its brakes, handling, seats, etc. The retro wheels are just craiger copys....some like the chrome craiger look, but id prefer the SRT 20's anyday......the RT rims are retro,but not Dodge retro to 1970....they are Craiger retro to 1988. Ssomeday when you sell the SRT you'll get thousands more in resale...you may get 1/2 of most of what your paying extra for now..consider it an investment...(an investment that loses money)
I agree, get the SRT. Of course, I'm partial because I have one! The 1970s Challenger came stock with two-piece slotted Rallye wheels. As an option, you could order two-piece spoked deluxe road wheels. Cragers were after-market. See photos, below.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts