Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 2012 5.7 R/T 6 speed with 3:92 gear. No Dealer warranty deal.
I have High flow exhaust and a cold air set up on the car. But think I really need to bring it all together sort a speak .
So Being an Old Mopar guy who runs RBs and Wedges I am not up to date on what to get that will help me tune it right.

So I have been reading your posts and see a lot of you tune. So can you all please point me in the right direction ?

Thanks, up front.

·
Registered
853 Posts
You can buy a handheld tuner that come with pre loaded tunes. But to be honest, if you plan any sort of major modifications, I would not go that route.
Look into HPTuners. Much more in depth tuning software. The trade off is it is harder to learn all the features rather than just loading a preset tune.

Another option would be taking it into a shop with a dyno and having them dyno tune it using hptuners. Gain some power and still have the car unlocked for future modifications if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ronan978

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,273 Posts
Got to pay for power on these new mopars. I put together a list a while back showing some dyno numbers for different power adders. However, if you do a search there is loads of info.
https://www.challengertalk.com/foru...dyno-numbers-5-7l-623426/?623426=#post7954402

Now when it comes to tuners you have 2 options (FYI +2105 PCMs must be sent out/swapped to be unlocked):

Diablo Sport
https://www.diablosport.com/
Stand alone hand held which is really limited in capabilities but excellent for those who don't plan on tweaking the tunes themselves. They also come with canned tunes made for 91 and 93 octane. Comes in 2 flavors, intune or Trinity with the latter being more expensive.

Hp Tuners
https://www.hptuners.com/mpvi2/
Its an interface that needs a laptop (can be linked to a mobile device but you cannot tune with it) and it is a fairly steep learning curve. Best option if you really plan on getting down and dirty with your tunes. Here is a collection of threads but might be a bit much to look at right off the bat.
https://forum.hptuners.com/showthre...he-basic-steps&p=525502&viewfull=1#post525502

Seeing you have a 6 speed, you don't have to mess with TCM tuning. However, I recommend the following mods for the trans.

1) Clutch delay valve delete - free mod that gets rid of the mushy clutch response. $0
https://www.challengertalk.com/foru...valve-cdv-removal-552705/?552705=#post7210001
2) Skip shift eliminator - gets rid of the forced 1st to 4th shift during special conditions. ~$20
3) Barton shift assembly - really tightens up shift feel. ~$400

Good luck and don't be shy about asking questions on mods...lot's of guys on here that have done it all...and then some.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,297 Posts
if you are just wanting to get your feet wet and keep cost low, there are several lil handheld tuners available.
There are even simplier plu n play units like the Bullydog GT series that wil let you dink around with some general engine settings and can be loaded with a number of pre-programed tunes.
The good news is, your 2012 does Not require unlocking the PCM like 2015 & later cars do.
If you plan on doing major mods or really want to maximize every bit of hp out of the car, go to a pro shop and have them properly tune it to your exact configuration, altitude, gas grade, etc.
..side effects may include ordering new rear tires.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so a Dyno tune would be the best As I already thought that . But I feel I may be a little Lean and have a Loss of Pull due to the free flow exhaust and CAI set up.
So I do like to learn and work with the New stuff . I tune a Mean 6 pack set up !!
My Q to you all is what would be a good hand held set up to do a little testing ? Or should I just jump rite into a Lap top set up ?
Sorry but this sure was easy when I had carb's ! LOL!!

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
If you have the time and patience HP tuning software/hardware seems to be the way to go. I had a trinity tuner which let you mod engine rpm (so you don’t loose fuel flow when hit red line). You could adjust timing, data log and some other simple parameters (less options since you have a 6 speed). It could also be used to upload emailed tunes and store multiple tunes in the device.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,666 Posts
I doubt the exhaust or CAI would make you lean. #1 the car can adjust to air flow, #2 the other parts of the intake/exhaust would still be the restriction (exhaust manifolds/cats, or Throttle body). I do think you can wring some power from even the stock system with a tune, and you'd certainly want to dyno tune with exhaust and CAI already changed

A Guy

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I was looking at the Diablosport Systems and there are a lot of options . Being a 2012 I am good to go just need to see what is my best Bang for the Buck sorta speak !
What did you guys use as an entry level tuner ? Not to say after I get my feet wet I may want to do more ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so a Hand held tuner would be a good start ? If so what did you guys stat with ?
Remember I have a 2012 so I don't need a ECM flash

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so is the Predator better than the Sport in tune ?
Just trying to get the best one for my 2012 for the money

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,273 Posts
The DS predator has canned tunes targeted for use with higher octane fuel. It also allows you to update the fan setting along with limited WOT fuel/spark changes. HP tuners on the other hand, has much more tuning capability for the DIYer, but there are no canned tunes so you need to tweak the tune yourself for best performance. If you don't plan on doing tunes yourself (i.e. use canned tunes or tunes developed by tuners) then DS will suffice. Not to mention, you don't need a laptop to log or tune with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ended up going with the Diablo Sport Trinity 2 EX Platinum. Its a data logger, comes a couple canned tunes as stated above, and it allows you upload other tunes from a local or online tuner. From what Ive read, a lot of people who dont do the tunes themselves will send their data logs and all relavant mod info to online place (if local dyno isnt feasible in your area). Ive read a lot of good things about High Horsepower Performance and I believe a “stage 1” custom tune is about $125. Stage 1 meaning mostly bolt on mods like a CAI, cat back, etc... The Trinity tunes does let you enter your tire info if you’ve made and significant changes to help keep the speedo correct. It also has a ton of gauges to easily monitor just about everything. Its about the size and thickness of a smart phone, capacitive touchscreen that pretty snappy, easy to navigate and update with pc or mac and comes with a dash mount and long enuf cable to route to the OB connector.

The canned tunes for 93 or 91 octane are decent but very “safe”. For a bigger and better result go custom tune. Lots of good info from guys here for resources.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,273 Posts
FYI the new HP tuners interface MPVI2 also lets you log certain PIDs via bluetooth to cellphone using the Track Addict app. Again, it is a more advanced tuner with a steep learning curve but if you ever decide to take the plunge into tuning your own ride...it is really the way to go. Here is a link I put together on the HP tuner forum if you ever get tempted towards the dark side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts