Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looked like something was missing after installing a new pistol grip shifter on the hot rod recently. Then I recalled someone mentioning a six speed boot really cleaned up the look of the install. I bought a new boot from the dealer that came attached to the the six speed shifter and shaft. once I removed the the boot from the shifter is when ............

STOCK............

BOOT.. STOCK SHIFTER...... FRIENDS LIKED THIS ONE

PISTOL GRIP..STOCK PLATE

PISTOL GRIP....BOOT

Somehow it just looks right..... Going to have a auto gear indicator clear coated sticker made up when I can get up to speed.........

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
407 Posts
That looks great! :bigthumb:

Have you noticed if the pistol grip hit the A/C adjustment knob? Where do you plan on putting this clear coated sticker when you make it?

Be sure to show pics when you do! :)

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
I have the same pistol grip shifter, it does not hit the A/C knob and has the shift pattern on top of the shifter already, I do like the look of the boot with the pistol grip.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Love it looks awsome

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks great! :bigthumb:

Have you noticed if the pistol grip hit the A/C adjustment knob? Where do you plan on putting this clear coated sticker when you make it?

Be sure to show pics when you do! :)

The Gunslinger pistol grip shifter has no clearance issues when installed.

I went with the factory six speed pistol grip shifter and the clear coated sticker will cover the six speed #s on the top of the shifter.........

HOT ROD ON

·
Banned
675 Posts
That's gotta confuse the hell out of the guys in the service department when they drive your car.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Got the same kit in black, can't get the bezel to click in place, I removed the plate and am down to the white pastic that dosent look like it should be removed. Any one have a clue what I'm missing. I am using the bezel that came with the new shifter, couldn't get the leather boot to fit inside the old bezel.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I too would like some detailed install instructions and am I understanding correctly that the factory 6-speed shift knob fits the factory auto-stick shifter?

~Ray

·
Registered
834 Posts
Like you said, just looks right with the stock pistol grip, nice mod.

Any chance your going to sell the other pistol grip?

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
The stock six speed shifter does not fit the auto stick, I bought the kit to get the leather boot and bezel. Thats the only way Dodge sells them. You would have to do a major mod on the six speed shifter do get it to fit.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I too would like some detailed install instructions and am I understanding correctly that the factory 6-speed shift knob fits the factory auto-stick shifter?

~Ray

First thing is to remove the boot from the the factory shifter and rod. There is a plastic cLip that must be removed on the inside and the two can be separated. There is a way to do this without breaking that clip like I did so a manual would come in handy here. Once that is removed you have the shifter with a rod sticking out the bottom of it. There is a hole in that rod just below the shifter handle and that is where the rod is cut off even with the top of that hole. The fun part is drilling a hole the same size as the auto shaft three and half to four inches straight down the middle of that shaft into the new shifter handle. Now just above where you cut that rod is where you are going to install the set screws to hold that new shifter in place. Drill and tap your holes and install the set screws. I had 5mm set screws on hand and that is the size I used. Put the new shifter on the auto shaft and check for fit. If all is well reinstall the boot on the shifter... pull the boot up over your new shifter and install on the auto shaft. Secure your set screws and pop the boot into place.............

Hope this helps Ray. Keep us posted.......

Like you said, just looks right with the stock pistol grip, nice mod.

Any chance your going to sell the other pistol grip?

Thanks..... I'm keeping the pistol grip for a future project..........

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
247 Posts
I REALLY want to do this on my car but the whole drilling bit is confusing without pictures to go with instructions. I wish someone would post a step by step with pictures so I can show it to my local shop so they can help.
I really, REALLY hate the weedy looking stock auto shifter and this mod makes it perfect with the OEM 6-speed.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Looks GREAT, madlink! If I can find a boot(only) somewhere (I dont see the need to pay for the whole kit from the stealer, er ... dealership) This is on my short list of 'Mods-To-Do!'

·
Registered
251 Posts
Got the same kit in black, can't get the bezel to click in place, I removed the plate and am down to the white pastic that dosent look like it should be removed. Any one have a clue what I'm missing. I am using the bezel that came with the new shifter, couldn't get the leather boot to fit inside the old bezel.
did you figure it out? do you have to remove the white plastic part?? if so, how is this done??

thanks -- don't want to break anything!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts