Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I put new Brake Performance slotted and dimpled lifetime rotors on with Thermoquiets. It whines so loud that the dogs in the neighborhood start barking when I get close to home. Took the pads back off and added brake grease to the contact points to caliper with and no change. They are very smooth otherwise and the warped rotor feeling is gone.

I noticed that the original pads had silicone goop on them as did the caliper and caliper pistons which I cleaned off while tearing all down for the brake job. I assume this was done by the dealer from the previous owner? I have never seen that from the factory on any car?

I thought nothing was to be added to these Wagner pads, so I originally did not even add grease to the pads.

I did some bedding in when I first installed them and drove several miles without ever coming to a stop.

I see these as options:

Try bedding in some more.
Replace the pads again.
Add silicone goop to the back of the pads
Drive without doing anything else for some time

These are VERY loud. Not just that wimpy squeak you might hear from a car after some rain rust on the rotors. It is really embarrassing.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My original pads have 30k and are squeaking. I wonder why these cars have such a squeaking problem...

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm in the same boat. A little whistle as I come to a stop. Thought the pads were worn at 30k miles but they aren't - dealership did nothing. Must be dirt or rust build up but I would love to be able to get rid of it - kinda embarrassing in traffic :7:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
If they r that loud u should take them off and check them again.

Wheeldrifter, i think with the brembos they need to be rode hard. I work with a guy that has a Core and complains of the same but he is very easy on his. I brake mine a bit aggressive any chance I can safely. Mostly because I really enjoy good brakes but I think and the srt engineers have also stated that these r high performance brakes and should be used as such. They actually wear more when cold. They r made to be heated up.

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
278 Posts
Also have squeaking on my pads that are more than fine, really annoying. Thinking about getting new pads just to get rid of the squeaking but this thread doesn't give me much hope. :/

·
Registered
2016 PCP ScatPack
29 Posts
Not sure if you tried this.... The brake pads come with new shims as well. I always replace those too and I use white grease on the shims where metal touches metal. I never used grease on the back of the pads, but I guess it wouldn't hurt. I've done a few pad replacements and never had a squeel issue.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Thermoquiets did not have shims. They are built-in to the pad itself. This is what is supposed to make them so quiet. :) :) Honestly, they do look like high quality items.

I'll bet the original owner complained about squeaking and they added the goop as they were silent before I got in there and changed them. I changed them due to vibration. I think the pads that were on there originally were just really soft and left a ton of residue that would then get stuck on the rotors after a long drive at highway speeds. It didn't happen all the time so I don't believe the rotors were really damaged.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also have squeaking on my pads that are more than fine, really annoying. Thinking about getting new pads just to get rid of the squeaking but this thread doesn't give me much hope. :/
I will not be able to do anything until after next week, but I will report back any results.

I am getting the timing chain recall done on Thursday. eeeeeeeek....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an update, finally.

I drove for some thousands of miles this year and the brakes never got quieter. I finally replaced the ThermoQuiets with the ones that came with the rotors and they were actually louder. They were cheap pads though. They grabbed exceptionally well, but were deafening when the windows were down. Same sound frequency as the other pads, just louder. They did not get better after 1300 miles so I took a friend's advice and swapped them out for ceramic pads. Only been a few days, but NO squeaks yet. Usually by the second drive, the squeaking would start.

I want to make sure I am clear here. This was not the occasional squeak when the brakes are cold. This was all the time. The dogs in the neighborhood would bark when I would approach my driveway (like posted in my starter msg). It was terrible. I did not have this with the stock brakes. I assume this problem was a combination of my rotor selection and the pads.

I tried some funky orange/red stuff to put on the back of the pads, used grease, no grease, a combination... no change. I had the pads off about 5 times now. I can do a pad swap on our cars in about 15 minutes now. :) It is easier than washing the beast.

If it comes back, I will report. I don't drive it much during the cold months and not at all when there is a threat of salt.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
My original pads have 30k and are squeaking. I wonder why these cars have such a squeaking problem...
My original factory brakes have NEVER squeaked a peep in 36k miles. They are the STP upgraded pads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts