Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to change my front brake system to the wilwood aero 6 setup

I want to switch to dot 4 high temp fluid. Reading around i know it is wise to get rid of all the dot 3 in the system before filling and bleeding the dot 4.

I have access to a diagnostic tool to actuate the abs if i need too, possibly a power bleeder also. I just want to make sure i have the processes down to make a smooth install process.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,190 Posts
Why dot 4 ???

Bosch makes the new fluid which makes 3,4 and 5.1 obsolete...……………

High compatibility. Use with or direct replacement for DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1
Extended Service Interval (ESI): Lasts 100% longer than DOT 3, 50% longer than DOT 4, and 10% longer than DOT 5.1
Exceeds all DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1 standards
Wet boiling point ~ 365 DegreeF/Viscosity at -40 DegreeC ~ 670mm2/s
Standard brake fluid has a recommended change interval of 2 years. The recommended change interval for Bosch ESI6 is 3 years.

Just saying, also changing the calipers the bleed is easy, do not drain the system. Gravity bleed the calipers then 3 pumps and hold it. Should take less the 5 minutes per side to bleed

just saying, don't over think it

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Why dot 4 ???

High compatibility. Use with or direct replacement for DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1
Extended Service Interval (ESI): Lasts 100% longer than DOT 3, 50% longer than DOT 4, and 10% longer than DOT 5.1
Standard brake fluid has a recommended change interval of 2 years. The recommended change interval for Bosch ESI6 is 3 years.

Just saying, also changing the calipers the bleed is easy, do not drain the system. Gravity bleed the calipers then 3 pumps and hold it. Should take less the 5 minutes per side to bleed

Good to know, this fluid was the only good fluid i had available in a pinch to finish the car this weekend and prep for auto x in 2 weeks.

My concern, or i guess the part im overthinking, is i want to make sure 100% of the old dot 3 is out of the system. I also want to flush out any sediment as its been 3 years and 85k miles on my stock fluid

Also the motul stuff is pretty stout...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Why dot 4 ???

Thanks for the info. I'll have to look into it. Running on Motul DOT5.1 currently.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey out of curiosity, how much lighter is that wilwood setup ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill let you know when i have the stock calipers off, first impression they are VERY light for the size ill guesstimate either the same weight or lighter.

Im planning on doing a full write up when its all set and done

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've got the Wilwood Aero kits front and back. I made the stupid mistake of not going back and checking everything after the brakes were bedded in.:headbang: As a result one of the two right front caliper bracket bolts up and left along with the shims and the other was about to go. The only reason I found out was the caiiper pivoted back and made contact with the rotor. I located some drilled bolts online and installed them using safety wire and Loctite. Not going anywhere this time. Probably didn't use enough Loctite the first go round. I know I torqued them to spec.

·
Registered
583 Posts
You're looking at about 10# per side.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Wow , that’s almost as good as running skinnies! So willwoods and skinnies and we’re looking at over 40lbs off the front , and it’s almost all rotational mass!! That’s very impressive!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow , that’s almost as good as running skinnies! So willwoods and skinnies and we’re looking at over 40lbs off the front , and it’s almost all rotational mass!! That’s very impressive!

Just note that the full rotor spec (like mine) probably still is over a few pounds from the 2 piece rotor setup with billet hub

·
Registered
1,364 Posts

Yep those Brembo calipers are HEAVY.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Just note that the full rotor spec (like mine) probably still is over a few pounds from the 2 piece rotor setup with billet hub
Ok, I didn't realize yours wasn't the 2 piece. So yea that's definitely less of a savings.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I didn't realize yours wasn't the 2 piece. So yea that's definitely less of a savings.

Yeaahh a couple things i decided there...

The pads already arent an off the shelf pad, but the rotors will cook pretty quick on a track day. The rotors are off the shelf 14.25” srt rotors so i chose the ease of replacement over the additional weight savings. Maybe there is a way i can upgrade down the road but it saved me about $400.

Also I think the 2-piece design has a slightly larger rotor and i still want to accommodate my 18’s

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Yeaahh a couple things i decided there...

The pads already arent an off the shelf pad, but the rotors will cook pretty quick on a track day. The rotors are off the shelf 14.25” srt rotors so i chose the ease of replacement over the additional weight savings. Maybe there is a way i can upgrade down the road but it saved me about $400.

Also I think the 2-piece design has a slightly larger rotor and i still want to accommodate my 18’s
I'm running 18s with my 2 pieces. Although different wheels vary.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts