Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Such finesse installing those wheel flares :) Takes me back to working at a DANA axle plant one summer as a kid. Thought I was going to die from boredom.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I'm glad I bought the National Geographic video of the making of Challengers /Chargers and 300's. Its cool to see how quickly they are made. They make these cars look like snap -together models. Once they are put together, its a pain to work on them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm glad I bought the National Geographic video of the making of Challengers /Chargers and 300's. Its cool to see how quickly they are made. They make these cars look like snap -together models. Once they are put together, its a pain to work on them.
Gotta' agree with that statement. The factory focuses on rapid assembly and maximum content in minimal space.The cheaper it is to manufacture a product and the less materials used the higher the profit margin. Few people consider accessibility for servicing when buying a new car, its all about the bling and style. If new car buyers had a choice of extra space under the hood (or wherever) for ease of servicing or an extra cup holder the cup holders win every time - especially with the manufactures cost-wise.

I remember the good old days when you could almost stand inside the engine compartments of some cars and trucks to work on them (or at least catch glimpses of the ground when looking down at the engine!). :surprise:

--------------------------------------//----

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Notice that it's a V6 Charger in front of it.

I have mentioned in other posts that the quality, fit and finish is set by the base model standard, not the top trim levels. This is a perfect example.

Same assembly line, $90,000 and $30,000 cars back to back.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I still have my Dad's 1967 Cadillac convertible. It's getting a restoration and hope to have it by next spring/summer. That car has a 429 engine that I can work on without any issues. You are absolutely right about seeing the ground under an engine bay. At least if you dropped a part or tool you could go under and retrieve it. I have dropped stuff into my Challenger and cursed up a storm because I have to now take the belly pan down to get it!! These cars today are what I call "Knuckle Busters". You can't fit your hands in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts