Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

AFE momentum GT. In all honesty I can't tell any difference. I had a k&n filter and HC lower with headlight inlet before though.
I went out for a little drive straight after and the first open road someone was right on my bumper. They pulled out to overtake so I hit the gas. I had no idea what it was. He was passing me when I let off at 150kmh (speed limit is 80). It was a Focus RS!
Anyway. I did a few runs consistently getting around 6 to 6.1. It was -2c out. Roads were a little slick.
I think the tune is next on the list.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Sorry, you are not having the SOTP (seat of the pants) experience you were looking for.

Unfortunately, the V6 does not respond well to performance enhancements. The V6 Pentastar is a rock solid, everyday driver with a respectable "peppy-ness". You may become very frustrated-- and poorer-- as you try to modify the V6 as it was not designed as a performance engine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may well be right. The only reason I have the V6, or indeed a Challenger at all was the AWD. Living in Ontario we get some severe winters. The GT is the perfect car for me, as I daily drive it to work. Plenty room in the back, trunk is huge, and it looks awesome.
Where I live the speed limit is 80kmh (50mph!). A V8 RWD would be impractical. Plus I'm 40, a school teacher, with 2 young kids, so my days of racing are well behind me (with the odd exception ;)). The other dads in my neighborhood drive minivans! I like to be different.

From what I've read it is possible to tune the V6, improve air flow, exhaust etc to get some respectable hp increase.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
From what I've read it is possible to tune the V6, improve air flow, exhaust etc to get some respectable hp increase.
Yes, but it will be difficult. Again, the engine was build to be rock solid, dependable and efficient. Everything you spend will be reminiscent of your CAI experience. The engine has 300hp to begin with (which is very respectable) but the usual mods (exhaust, Throttle body, tune, CAI....etc) just wont give you the bang for the buck on that platform.

The AWD GT is a super cool car on its own Plus, as a '19 you are still under warranty and anything that will give you big gains (like super charging or Nitros) will cancel out your warranty.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,955 Posts
A Tune will require a PCM Unlock Mod that alone is about 1700.00 Range then to get it dyno and tuned your over 2 k ...
A Banks Pedal Monster will give you better throttle response just a CAI on 2wd or 4wd Pentastar is not going to net anything but a updated look unfortunately.
https://www.bankspower.com/i-2935 These are more fail safe then a Pedal Commander
The 3.6L 221CI. Pentastar has your Exhaust Header and Head as a 1 piece cast... They can gain HP but the cost factor goes way way up to really get it.
Its not as easy as if you had a V8 RT or up.

Then with a GT you got a Transfer Case which will put more load on the Transmission and Engine for the AWD...
To bring the Pentastar into all its glory 10k or more of mods.
They designed to make the car dependably / reliable for what you get....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Already have the pedal commander. It is a great little unit. Makes the car more fun to drive, even without actual hp gains.
I have the tazer so I can turn off AWD completely, again changes the driving characteristics.
I know the CAI does nothing noticable on its own. It is just one step in a process.
Will never be in the market for a V8. Just not practical for where I live.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,423 Posts
Good news bad news OP,
a good CAI (as a stand alone mod on a stock engine) only adds about 2% HP bump to the total engine output, in all reality. So in your 3.6l, you added around 5hp - max. That is not enough to actually feel or improve anything perf wise in 4000+lb vehicle.
The bad news is, that intake has been shown to actually decrease HP. Hellcat guys, many of whom are lifestyle deep into racing & data numbers, ran this intake thru its paces, both track & dyno, years ago and the proof was pretty much, it was a total dud. This despite the manf claims, which I recall were originally (now revoked) a very highly exagerated plus 35HP gain, that could never be proven by dozens of well established shops and racers...most guys showed a loss in hp over stock.
Feel free to search the web, Im certain this info, on several other well known boards is still floating around.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
AFE momentum GT. In all honesty I can't tell any difference. I had a k&n filter and HC lower with headlight inlet before though.
I went out for a little drive straight after and the first open road someone was right on my bumper. They pulled out to overtake so I hit the gas. I had no idea what it was. He was passing me when I let off at 150kmh (speed limit is 80). It was a Focus RS!
Anyway. I did a few runs consistently getting around 6 to 6.1. It was -2c out. Roads were a little slick.
I think the tune is next on the list.
Sparkster, here's some light reading for you. I tried the Mopar CAI on my 3.6 as well as my 5.7 and was not impressed. Then I found this article and now I'm against any intake mods. The factory has it down to a science. So it's best left alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts