Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

changing oil last week on my 2015er R/T at 41.000 km shows metall shaving in the oil-Filter Chamber which i opened .

Noticed a very sligtly ticking at idle when oil is warm....not when ist's cold.

Which parts will I need to replace the Cam and the Lifters ?

Some special tools ?

Looking at Rockauto, there are no Lifters available with MDS....but cam from mopar....seals from Victor and Mahle.

Or do you recommended to remove the mds an order lifters without mds ?
And when yes, what manufacturer should i order ?

With kind regards,

Andreas from germany

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,
noticed a slightly ticking when engine is warm....oil at 100°C.

Last week did the oilchange after 2000 km an noticed metall shaving in the chamber of the oilfilter ( opened it up )

The engine is at 41tkm, 2015er Challenger.

Which lifters do i should buy now and which cam.

Looking at Rockauto, found the moparcam but only lifters without MDS.

Is there maybe a Kit available, were every seal and srews are contain ?

V/R

Andreas, germany

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
A kit per say isn’t really available. I use EastcoastMoparts.com for all of my factory stuff. Take a look there. Also Rock Auto is a decent place to grab stuff so you are one step ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: cabrio79

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
For top end gasket kit check cometic on summit racing. Cam and lifters with yokes can be purchased from any online mopar vendor (steve white, mopar giants..ect)...you can search the parts catalog by vin or year/make/model. Steve white auto who is a vendor here has a discount code CHA1 (I think). For push rods I would recommend aftermarket as they are better quality then stock. I run these on my 2015 5.7 manual:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

In some videos, they talked about new lifter in backorder.

So mopar did a design change ?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
When I was doing my cam swap I ran across this thread thinking I probably should get the latest and greatest lifters but since I don't have an MDS engine it did not apply. However, I saved the link.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thumbs up for your input !!!

Is Melling a good brand for the lifter ?

I only knew German brands :)

And what did you do on your car ?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
Thumbs up for your input !!!

Is Melling a good brand for the lifter ?

I only knew German brands :)

And what did you do on your car ?
Not sure on the brands. As for my RT I put on forced induction, long tube headers and recently swapped the 5.7 cam for the 6.2 cam. If you plan to do this yourself there is a trick to remove the oil pump without dropping the pan that I show in my thread below.

If staying naturally aspirated most swap the 5.7 for the 6.4 cam. BTW there used to be a Scat Pack stage 2 kit that basically swapped the cam, springs and provided all the gaskets.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Confused....

The Mopar Camshaft with MDS cost 280$
The Mopar Camshaft Without MDS only about 80$

Steve White and Rockazuto

80$ for this monster of cam ?

Byuing this and the Non MDS lifter.......but will it fit ?

In addition needing the replacement part for the solenoids.
And a tuner to deactivate the MDS-Function.

Or,

bying the MDS Cam and the MDS lifter.

Hmmmm....

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,988 Posts
Not sure on the brands. As for my RT I put on forced induction, long tube headers and recently swapped the 5.7 cam for the 6.2 cam. If you plan to do this yourself there is a trick to remove the oil pump without dropping the pan that I show in my thread below.

If staying naturally aspirated most swap the 5.7 for the 6.4 cam. BTW there used to be a Scat Pack stage 2 kit that basically swapped the cam, springs and provided all the gaskets.

Isn't the stage 1 kit required before the stage 2 kit can be installed? Don't they have to be installed by a dealer for the warranty? Finally, there is a stage 3 kit, and I don't know if any of the kits can be installed on 5.7's newer than 2014.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,988 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
Only reason to have scat pack 1 is the PCM although I would think the new cam in scat pack 2 would require further modifications to the tune. Not sure why you can't just forgo 1 and jump straight to 2?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,048 Posts
The idea of the Scat Pack stages was warranty friendly mods in stages. You get stickers/badges as you install each stage. Stage 2 and 3 ore offroad only. The results are not worth the cost, but people wanted warranty saving mods. If you were going to void warranty, or are out of warranty, and don't have a concern with emissions, you could certainly skip Stage 1

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
Confused....

Or,

Hmmmm....
I was going to say it might be due to the fact that the MDS has 8 lobes ground differently than the rest of the lobes, hence higher manufacturing cost. But the 6.2 cam is non-MDS and costs about $260. Still cheaper than aftermarket cams which are ~$700 and you need a phaser lock.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Confused....

Or,

Hmmmm....
You have that opposite. The non-MDS cam costs $280. If you are going to replace the lifters, I would at recommend getting rid of MDS entirely. Those lifters have a tendency to fail and I know I wouldn't want to replace lifters again down the road.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
You have that opposite. The non-MDS cam costs $280. If you are going to replace the lifters, I would at recommend getting rid of MDS entirely. Those lifters have a tendency to fail and I know I wouldn't want to replace lifters again down the road.
What? BTW if you get a non-MDS cam you will need to have your PCM unlocked ($250) and get a tuner like HP tuners ($299+$100 for 2 credits) to deactivate MDS in the stock tune. Not to mention you need to remove the MDS solenoids and install MDS plugs.

5.7 cams

6.4 cams

6.2 cam

·
Registered
229 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts