Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back story; Currently have a supercharged Camaro V6 pushing 545, done every mod imaginable including snow, tired of building and want a new project.

Here's a video of my current car, to give a little insight on what I'm coming from.

https://youtu.be/-6KhBewV-c0

Looking at the Challenger R/T with the 5.7, after watching several videos and reading testimonies I finally wanted to get the communities opinion on this car.

What's your thoughts on the R/T? (Performance, functionality, comfort)
I currently have a stick, what's your thoughts on the 6MT?

I am currently looking at the 09-14 R/T, not the new ones, but would love some insight on the new ones!!

The reason I like the R/T is because I've read so much good stuff on the 5.7 power plant, and I'm impressed, seems like a very fun engine to tune and prochage, etc.

Can I also get some basis comparisons between the models?
THE V6 IS STILL A CONSIDERATION

So, what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
If you have to have a manual the only choice is a R/T or a SRT.

If you want a nice compromise of MPG and power get a SXT PLUS or SXT, but no manual available.
You can always SC a 3.6 and it will be faster than a R/T. The SXT's with the lighter 6 actually handle the twisties better if you're into that, less weight over the front wheels.

As far as comfort all Challengers are comfortable, the base model SXT with the smaller wheels and more sidewall to the tire has a smoother ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have to have a manual the only choice is a R/T or a SRT.

If you want a nice compromise of MPG and power get a SXT PLUS or SXT, but no manual available.
You can always SC a 3.6 and it will be faster than a R/T. The SXT's with the lighter 6 actually handle the twisties better if you're into that, less weight over the front wheels.

As far as comfort all Challengers are comfortable, the base model SXT with the smaller wheels and more sidewall to the tire has a smoother ride.
>You can always SC a 3.6 and it will be faster than a R/T

this seems to be the painful truth, is the R/T considered slow? I've seen several reviews online but none of them really seem to tackle this question!!

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
>You can always SC a 3.6 and it will be faster than a R/T

this seems to be the painful truth, is the R/T considered slow? I've seen several reviews online but none of them really seem to tackle this question!!
R/T isnt slow but there's only about 70HP difference between the 3.6 and the 5.7.
If you SC the 3.6 it gets you about 125-150 more HP.
When you drive them back to back you can feel the R/T is faster but not that much.

I'd suggest you drive them back to back and see if the 3.6 is fast enough for you.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I think the torque is the more important difference between the 5.7L and 3.6L HP is 70 more but the 3.6L puts out 268 Lb. Ft. of torque and the 5.7L with a manual puts out 410 Lb. Ft. or 400 Lb. Ft. with the automatic.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Back story; Currently have a supercharged Camaro V6 pushing 545, done every mod imaginable including snow, tired of building and want a new project.

Here's a video of my current car, to give a little insight on what I'm coming from.

Looking at the Challenger R/T with the 5.7, after watching several videos and reading testimonies I finally wanted to get the communities opinion on this car.

I am currently looking at the 09-14 R/T, not the new ones, but would love some insight on the new ones!!

The reason I like the R/T is because I've read so much good stuff on the 5.7 power plant, and I'm impressed, seems like a very fun engine to tune and prochage, etc.

Your Camaro sounds awesome, and I've never said that about a V6 before. A 392 with a cam etc will give you similar HP and a ton more torque not to mention the awesome exhaust lope at idle. Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
342 Posts

I had a new 15 r/t classic but traded up to my 16 Scatpack. I liked it a lot. My only disappointment was that the brakes were too weak for such a heavy car. You can upgrade them of course. As far as a v-6....
I wanted the power and sound of the Hemi v-8.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
To add.. the Brembos on a scat will take the breath away from you due to them stopping so hard. It's amazing they can stop a 4200 lb car so well. I recently pulled a little over 1g stopping the other day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
931 Posts
IN my opinion your not going to find a more comfortable car then the Challenger out of the big3. If you are looking for a project build I would consider an early SRT 6.1. There are deals out there are great motor to modify. Plus the car has all the bells and whistles.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I think the torque is the more important difference between the 5.7L and 3.6L HP is 70 more but the 3.6L puts out 268 Lb. Ft. of torque and the 5.7L with a manual puts out 410 Lb. Ft. or 400 Lb. Ft. with the automatic.
Good point.
You can feel the torque pull when you drive the R/T.

Is there a way to increase the torque of the 3.6??

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Good point.
You can feel the torque pull when you drive the R/T.

Is there a way to increase the torque of the 3.6??
The best torque increase I know of would be a supercharger or turbo. But that means you pretty much kiss your powertrain warranty goodbye. since I bought the lifetime warranty on both of my Challengers I will make cosmetic mods only and leave the mechanics stock.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
My friend at work has a 15 R/T Shaker M6 and it makes my GT look slow. when we leave work going down the highway he can out pull my V6 GT in every gear. If you can afford a 17 or 18 R/T that would be the best bang for your buck. You get the 2.75" active exhaust that the 15 and 16 Scat Pack and SRT's got plus the much more upgradable V8 if more power is desired later on. Here is my GT and his R/T side by side the looks are similar but the sound the V8 makes over the V6 is incredible.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts