Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What up guys?
Anyone get the new Car and Driver?
I just got it Friday and was a little bit dissapointed. The photos looked awesome. However, they estimate the curb weight not much lower than the Charger's at 4100 pounds and it will be longer than a 300C! That's a freakin big car! I was hoping for something shorter than the new Mustang, which looks pretty long, in my opinion.
The estimates for performance were 0-60 at 4.5, 1/4 mile at 13 flat and top speed, drag limited to 174mph. All from the 6.1L 425hp Hemi.

·
Registered
492 Posts
The original 'Challenger' was also a 'large' car, so I'm actually not so concerned about its length and weight...as I have absolutely no plans on racing my new 'daily driver'. What I've actually liked about the original Dodge 'Challenger' are its long sleek body lines, and I hope that the new generation model will retain this particular characteristic...as to keep it 'true to character'.;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ladimer said:
What up guys?
Anyone get the new Car and Driver?
I just got it Friday and was a little bit dissapointed. The photos looked awesome. However, they estimate the curb weight not much lower than the Charger's at 4100 pounds and it will be longer than a 300C! That's a freakin big car! I was hoping for something shorter than the new Mustang, which looks pretty long, in my opinion.
The estimates for performance were 0-60 at 4.5, 1/4 mile at 13 flat and top speed, drag limited to 174mph. All from the 6.1L 425hp Hemi.
I'll have to wait a few more weeks to get the magazine. Im half way around the world:( . What do the photos look like?
I agree..its too long. Also, looking at the spy shots, I think its a lil too retro. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
748 Posts
4,000 lb rumors are not good. I was really hoping for a bit less weight. Then again, we don't know anything yet. I thought the new Challenger was to be built on the upcoming lightened LY platform.

Maybe they are planning an LX version?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just can't see how they could make it weigh that much without literally trying.

I too will buy it even if it's heavy but lighter would be very, very, very nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't imagine it weighing in at that much seeing how it's got a carbon fiber hood and is lacking certain things like only being a two door not four. I guess putting a beast under the hood comes with a cost, but I still think that that number will drop once it goes into production, or maybe they're wanting us to fuel it will fried twinkies instead of gas with a weight like that. Hey, baby's gotta eat!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ChriSRT-4 said:
I'll have to wait a few more weeks to get the magazine. Im half way around the world:( . What do the photos look like?
I agree..its too long. Also, looking at the spy shots, I think its a lil too retro. Just my opinion.
The photos are actually the exact same ones that are floating around the internet now. The orange 6.1L R/T. It looks pretty good. In does look long in some angles, similar to the Mustang. I was comparing the dimensions of a new Mustang GT to the ones listed in the Car and Driver article, the the Challenger is longer, wider, and taller than the Mustang. The wide stance looks cool, I just hope they cut down on the length.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
retardinacan1 said:
I can't imagine it weighing in at that much seeing how it's got a carbon fiber hood and is lacking certain things like only being a two door not four. I guess putting a beast under the hood comes with a cost, but I still think that that number will drop once it goes into production, or maybe they're wanting us to fuel it will fried twinkies instead of gas with a weight like that. Hey, baby's gotta eat!!!
I doubt the production version will have a carbon fiber hood. Personally, I think it would look better if the black out portion of the hood be all black, instead of carbon fiber.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I saw a painted CF hood a while back(griptuning). As an option and finding someone who knows how to paint it, I think it would be a good idea.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just read the article earlier today, and people need to relax and understand that there are no solid numbers of any kind yet on this car. First off, nobody knows how much it will weigh. Car and Driver made an estimate/guess. Second, it will be on the new LY platform, but since that platform doesn't even exist yet, they made the prototype on a shortened LX platform (they cut approx. 4" from the area behind the drivers seat). Some other interesting statements in the article on the prototype:

1. 20" wheels in front, 21" wheels in the rear
2. Carbon fiber composite hood (hopefully it will make it through to production)
3. The vents on the hood look like they have butterflies that will open and close
4. The R/T in their photoshoot has the 6.1 HEMI
5. They still say rumors are going around that the 6.4 HEMI might make it in
6. Even though it's a shorter platform (they chopped out 4 inches on an LX platform) it's longer in overall length than current LX cars. They did this to keep with a more retro look since that is what people say they want, and having short overhangs in front and behind the wheels didn't keep with that theme, so they added body.
7. It does have a 6spd manual transmission w/pistol grip shifter
8. It has retro gauges (a mistake in my opinion, and one thing I hate about the new Mustang)
9. They estimate the price at $35k, but I feel this will be for the SRT version, not the R/T. I expect the R/T version with the 5.7 HEMI to be very competitively priced with a Mustang GT.

The new Camaro will also debut along with the Challenger at the NAIAS at the end of January. So the musclecar wars will start before the machines even hit the street.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm really turned off by the tentative 4100lbs curb weight, and 14/20 fuel economy. Such a shame, because it's a stunning car. :(

·
Registered
748 Posts
Big Country said:
8. It has retro gauges (a mistake in my opinion, and one thing I hate about the new Mustang).
Retro exterior = good.
Retro interior = no good.

Car interiors were pretty basic, shiny, sloppy, crude and poor at ergonomics. A modern interior is preferred. All I want is the classic exterior look and a retroish dash shape rather than the mini-van open expanse aircraft carrier deck dashes so popular today. But overall, the interior should be modern because modern interiors are soooo good compared with the 60s and 70s.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hmmm i would love to see the chally under 4k...damn....oh well i guess we gonna have to wait and see if they come out lighter than estimated.

·
Banned
91 Posts
I just read both C&D and R&T, the Challenger still looks attractive but the weight and size are kind of scary. But in C&D it kind of sounded like the show car is on LX chassis for now so with the shorter LY chassis the weight and size should go down some. The wheels are way too big for me, 18 inches is about the max I can go with. Usually though wheel size goes down from show car to production. Hopefully they will use something like the Tremec T56 in the production car instead of an auto.
In spite of everything, if they keep it simple and don't load it with much electronics it will be a great car and I will have one.
I am optimistic that it will turn out good, in fact enough so that I am putting my 2000 Mustang Cobra R on the market next month.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just read the article on this car in C&D, and I have seen the spy photos online....and all I can say is that im stoked for the Challenger. It has always been my favorite old-school muscle car and this concept is spot-on. I really wanna see where this goes, I may be trading in my STi for it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Big Country said:
I just read the article earlier today, and people need to relax and understand that there are no solid numbers of any kind yet on this car. First off, nobody knows how much it will weigh. Car and Driver made an estimate/guess. Second, it will be on the new LY platform, but since that platform doesn't even exist yet, they made the prototype on a shortened LX platform (they cut approx. 4" from the area behind the drivers seat).
Actually the LY is alive an well..it is the current gen Mercedes E-Class...take a look at the new CLS and you can see what can be done on that platform. MB considers the CLS a coupe, with 4 doors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
BobBarry said:
My question: will it be a 4-seater or 5-seater?
One of mine too. If the car is going to be so large, then I wonder if the back seat will be a bench or buckets like the mustang. I'm also hoping for lighter than :eek: 4100lbs :eek: ! Cmon DC, don't saddle it w/ a bunch of extra flab, just give it what counts. That should also help to keep it affordable.:cool:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts