Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
It looks like it was listed by Mike Brown Ford last Sept 20 for $41,990, and then again on 3/31 for $36,464. It had 6633 miles on it then. Now it is listed for $36,998 at Carmax and "8K" miles. Did it sell this spring, and someone traded it in already after only 1400 miles?

I see no problems listed for the car.

CarGurus says the price is a bit over market, and also shows mileage as 7074.

I think if that is what your friend is looking for, it's probably a nice car. I'd just work on that price.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=forSaleTab_true_0&formSourceTag=112&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c24577&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c24577&zip=83815&distance=50000&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true&sortType=undefined&sortDirection=undefined#listing=180700710

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
My buddy sent me this as he is thinking about buying it. I wanted to get some feedback on if this is a good deal. He doesn't have the best credit so he's limited to CarMax as he's already approved.

https://www.carmax.com/car/14578412

What rate does CarMax offer in his situation?
It makes you very vulnerable.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,824 Posts

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
My buddy sent me this as he is thinking about buying it. I wanted to get some feedback on if this is a good deal. He doesn't have the best credit so he's limited to CarMax as he's already approved.

https://www.carmax.com/car/14578412

My 2012 Challenger R/T is my 3rd purchase from Carmax. I have had excellent luck with their cars, no problems at all and just normal maintenance. Their prices are not negotiable, but generally quite fair. I have not financed with them, paid cash each time. I'd say if it's the car he wants and the price is right for him, go for it, Carmax cars are top notch.

Paul

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Thanks "A Guy."

So, this one's got SPAG, leather (and ventilated) seats and Killer stereo w/Navigation.

EDIT: I blew this one. My bad. Price is indeed too high. It's not a rip off, but not a good deal either. I should have followed the link and seen that this was a 2015.

Gary

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
The mileage is worked into the price comparison. The car has been for sale since last September. One of the dealerships had it listed for $500 less, and still didn't sell it. Either is is overpriced, or there is something wrong with the car. Have him look it over very carefully before pulling the trigger.

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
Sadly if you're in the position that you're excited for a car and they are you're only choice for a loan, you won't stand your ground but almost certainly give in even if you know you're not in a good position.
The whole car industry and banking system preys on those who can't say no.
When you have money you call the shots but when in debt and iffy credit score you have to go with the flow and take it.
Me, I'd pass on it all day long.

·
Registered
424 Posts
A used Scat with those miles could be had for closer to $30k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
A used Scat with those miles could be had for closer to $30k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not with all those options. And definitely not from CarMax. However, I think I should rethink my earlier post. I said the price was reasonable. Eh... maybe I was wrong. 33 or 34k from CarMax would be reasonable.

But there's something else I should say. I worry that a fella with poor credit is likely going to struggle with owning this car, especially if he has to sell it soon because of more credit issues. I was a credit counselor for some time and buying ANY car at this price is a serious mistake for all too many people who struggle with their credit. This is an expensive car and can do a lot of depreciating in the wrong hands.This can be a huge problem if the buyer has to be "upside down" when he gets it due to it's slightly inflated price and what he owes on his trade. It could turn out to be a huge financial mistake, especially if he needs 72 or 84 months to pay it off. Let's say he puts a gazillion miles on it. He could be digging his own financial grave here. I'm not criticizing, I don't even know the guy. But I've lived long enough to know that all too often, poor credit says something about a man. Not always, I get that. But I wouldn't want to blindly advise him to buy this car, or any 36k car without asking a lot of questions and using some wisdom.

Is it a good price? It doesn't matter if there's any likelihood that it may cause him to have even bigger credit problems in the future. I'm not the judge here, but just a word to the wise. Maybe the shoe fits here, maybe not. But it should be said.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not with all those options. And definitely not from CarMax. However, I think I should rethink my earlier post. I said the price was reasonable. Eh... maybe I was wrong. 33 or 34k from CarMax would be reasonable.

But there's something else I should say. I worry that a fella with poor credit is likely going to struggle with owning this car, especially if he has to sell it soon because of more credit issues. I was a credit counselor for some time and buying ANY car at this price is a serious mistake for all too many people who struggle with their credit. This is an expensive car and can do a lot of depreciating in the wrong hands.This can be a huge problem if the buyer has to be "upside down" when he gets it due to it's slightly inflated price and what he owes on his trade. It could turn out to be a huge financial mistake, especially if he needs 72 or 84 months to pay it off. Let's say he puts a gazillion miles on it. He could be digging his own financial grave here. I'm not criticizing, I don't even know the guy. But I've lived long enough to know that all too often, poor credit says something about a man. Not always, I get that. But I wouldn't want to blindly advise him to buy this car, or any 36k car without asking a lot of questions and using some wisdom.

Is it a good price? It doesn't matter if there's any likelihood that it may cause him to have even bigger credit problems in the future. I'm not the judge here, but just a word to the wise. Maybe the shoe fits here, maybe not. But it should be said.
Excellent advise!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts