Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

New owner here, picked up my Gt on Tuesday. First, is it too early to change the oil at 150 miles? I am babying it as I drive it right now and it is hard not to get on it. What are some easy mods that I can do right away? Is the oil catch can worth it? How about good seat covers, any recommendations?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,657 Posts
Hey Guys,

New owner here, picked up my Gt on Tuesday. First, is it too early to change the oil at 150 miles? I am babying it as I drive it right now and it is hard not to get on it. What are some easy mods that I can do right away? Is the oil catch can worth it? How about good seat covers, any recommendations?

Thanks guys
An early oil/filter service is a good idea. Unless forbidden by the owners manual I recommend it. My usual routine is to change the oil at 500, 2K, 5K miles then every 5K miles after unless the factory calls for oil changes in fewer miles. But for my Hellcat the factory says change the oil every 6K miles (or 6 months).

If you want to change the oil at 150 miles that is up to you. 150 miles is only about 5 hours of engine run time. (Assuming average speed of 30mph.) 500 miles is approx. 16 hours of engine run time.

Change the oil. Capture it in a clean drain pain. Carefully remove the oil filter and dump its oil into another clean drain pan. See what you can see. I changed my Cayman S oil at 750 miles and the oil filter housing oil was loaded with fine alum. particles. The oil looked like some muddy metal flake paint.

During break in you want to avoid high RPMs, but you don't necessarily have to "baby" the engine. Now this is not a recommendation you drive the car like you stole it but after the engine is fully up to temperature you can use moderate throttle but avoid "overspeeding" the engine. The use of moderate throttle results in more pressure being generated in the cylinders which forces the rings out against the cylinder walls. This extra pressure but of short duration makes for a better "break in".

But avoid prolonged harder acceleration and too high engine RPMs. A new engine has a lot of friction and friction is heat and while at lower engine speeds the heat from friction is not a problem at too high an engine speed it can be a problem.

My advice is to not mod the car. This includes an oil catch can.

I have no experience with seat covers in my cars. I've never used them. I've been in some cars -- owned by women -- that have had sheep skin (?) covers and well, those covers are not to my liking.

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
A catch can is the first mod I have always added to any / all of my Challengers. Tell us a bit about the plans for your car like what you intend to use it for. Daily drive, drag strip, etc. This will help all of us help recommend some mods you may like :)

- Alexis

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This will be my daily driver. I usually change my oil every 5000 miles after the first 2 oil changes. I see a lot of differing opinions on the oil catch can. I guess if it doesnt hurt the car then why not do it right?

Next question is about fuel octane, is it worth running 89 or 93 octane in my V6? Will it hurt anything to do it?

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Next question is about fuel octane, is it worth running 89 or 93 octane in my V6? Will it hurt anything to do it?
The only thing it will hurt is your wallet. If the manual says use 87 octane, then there is your answer. You would need to buy a tuner to take advantage of higher octane fuel, and even then, I don't think it's worth the cost in a V6.

Reactions: vpzyck

·
Registered
448 Posts
This will be my daily driver. I usually change my oil every 5000 miles after the first 2 oil changes. I see a lot of differing opinions on the oil catch can. I guess if it doesnt hurt the car then why not do it right?

Use what the vendor manual says to use. The timing of the engine is designed around the usage of a particular octane fuel. Using higher octane is a waste. Using lower octane will make your car run like shit and damage it over time.

Read your owners manual and properly break in the car.

Oil catch can for sure. Consider a Tazer? Consider a cool intake? Seat belt covers? Enjoy your ride! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am considering a tazer so i can unlock the additional pages in uconnect. I will stick with 87 octane. Ive read that CAI do not really provide any additional benefits. I have ordered a drop in K&N filter though.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
i am considering a tazer so i can unlock the additional pages in uconnect. I will stick with 87 octane. Ive read that CAI do not really provide any additional benefits. I have ordered a drop in K&N filter though.
I would pass on the K&N. They tend to let in more dirt. The stock filter is your best bet.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts

If you install the catch can you have to keep an eye on how full it gets. If you let it get too full the risk is a slug of the liquid in the catch can can get pulled into the intake and from there make it into one or more cylinders. Liquid is not nearly as compressible as air and if too much liquid gets in a cylinder the engine can suffer hydraulic lock up. This can bend/break a rod, bust a piston, crack a head, in short ruin your day.

The combustion chamber volume is really small just a few CCs, a bit more than the 74CCs the 6.2l engine has.

74CCs is 2.5 ounces. That ain't much.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i HEARD ALL GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE TAZER, LOTS OF COOL STUFF TO UNLOCK.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you install the catch can you have to keep an eye on how full it gets. If you let it get too full the risk is a slug of the liquid in the catch can can get pulled into the intake and from there make it into one or more cylinders. Liquid is not nearly as compressible as air and if too much liquid gets in a cylinder the engine can suffer hydraulic lock up. This can bend/break a rod, bust a piston, crack a head, in short ruin your day.

The combustion chamber volume is really small just a few CCs, a bit more than the 74CCs the 6.2l engine has.

74CCs is 2.5 ounces. That ain't much.
I have a 6.4 and its also a shaker...I disconnected and sealed the crank vent hose that vented at the oil fill to the air cleaner. put a short curved hose and a small filter on it. Now I can fill oil without removing shaker scoop. I also don't vent the crankcase into the intake. I think the same may be true for the PCV tube running from the valves to the intake. If memory servs correctly you can also filter that at the pcv and seal the hose to the intake. If thats the case you wont get oil mistaken as garbage gas,,,,and causing knock retarding. ANY THOUGHTS?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I have the 7 inch connect will the tazer be able to unlock the performance pages? How about launch mode?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
If the car has ever been registered with uconnect there is definite probability that neither tazer or infotainment genie will be able to unlock PP. I have tried everything and have called uconnect directly to confirm my uconnect account is no longer registered and nothing works. If I do a complete reset of the headunit I get PP for a short time and then it goes bye bye.

Tazer will however be able to get performance pages to show up on the instrument cluster which is better than nothing. If you want to know what tazer can do for your year and trim level challenger check here:

https://www.zautomotive.com/ (scroll down to vehicle genius)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would also pass on the K&N. What I'm eventually going to do with my wife's GT is install the Mopar CAI and the Hellcat airduct to attach the headlamp to the CAI airbox. From what I've read the Mopar CAI airboxes are all the same across the trim line. This will keep the CAI from sucking a bunch of hot air from the engine bay. Of course I realize the performance gains will be minimal at best, I'm mainly looking for the induction sound.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
If I have the 7 inch connect will the tazer be able to unlock the performance pages? How about launch mode?
I thought one of the "features" of the GT is that it had Performance Pages enabled from the factory? I know that is the case on my 2018 GT. Maybe it changed in 2019 though? Or maybe it's only if you have the 8.4" screen? Not really sure. I'm assuming that you've already checked and they aren't already there?

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
7 inch? Don't think you can do anything with the small radio. Since 2015 when the 8.4 radio came out you have always needed the 8.4 radio to get full use of the Super Track Pack and the Performance Pages.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I have a 6.4 and its also a shaker...I disconnected and sealed the crank vent hose that vented at the oil fill to the air cleaner. put a short curved hose and a small filter on it. Now I can fill oil without removing shaker scoop. I also don't vent the crankcase into the intake. I think the same may be true for the PCV tube running from the valves to the intake. If memory servs correctly you can also filter that at the pcv and seal the hose to the intake. If thats the case you wont get oil mistaken as garbage gas,,,,and causing knock retarding. ANY THOUGHTS?
Don't quite follow what you did. All I can offer is you should leave the engine's crankcase ventilation system alone.

It is designed to remove crankcase fumes -- mostly water vapor -- to prevent the build up of water in the oil and the formation of sludge and acidic compounds.

Years ago before when engine crankcase ventilation was just a draft tube engines needed top end and sometimes bottom end rebuilds in around 50K miles miles.

Modern crankcase ventilation systems have gone a long way to adding to modern engine long and trouble free service life.

I've yet to come upon anyone with catch can who reports any substantial amount of oil in the thing. (And no one has bothered to check the intake walls which I suspect still show signs of oil vapor making it through the catch can.)

Yet for every gallon of gasoline burned the gallon is reported to contain over half an ounce of oil. The oil is added to help prevent corrosion of any ferrous surfaces the gasoline comes into contact with.

So in 5K miles assuming 25mpg average the engine burns 200 gallons of gasoline and around 100 ounces of oil, over 3/4 a gallon of oil.

My advice is to restore what you changed to the way it came from the factory. A lot of cars have various quirks or whatever regarding oil changes. You didn't like having to remove the shaker scoop. You poor poor thing.

Try changing the oil in an engine that has the oil filter canister mounted on top of the engine and mounted upside down so when you unscrew the filter canister one has to deal with the oil that comes out and wants to run all over everything.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Actually the vent going to the air box is meant to draw fresh, filtered air through the crankcase as engine blow-by is drawn through the PCV. If anything you might need to change the oil filter more frequently with the way you have your setup know as oil vapor will eventually buildup on the filter. Why disconnect anything? Just use a catch can.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
7 inch? Don't think you can do anything with the small radio. Since 2015 when the 8.4 radio came out you have always needed the 8.4 radio to get full use of the Super Track Pack and the Performance Pages.

Yeah good catch...really can't do anything except upgrade to an 8.4" Although even if you have an 8.4" and don't have STP it's darn near impossible to add performance pages if the radio/VIN has been registered with uconnect at one point. I've read maybe one or two guys getting it to work but they called uconnect directly to cancel their account but I've tried and they just say my account is already deactivated. Even if I finally got it to work it would sort of be useless now as the TQ/HP# would not correctly represent the power the RT is putting out now. In fact, I turn the display off nowadays as I really don't use the headunit that much.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Yeah good catch...really can't do anything except upgrade to an 8.4" Although even if you have an 8.4" and don't have STP it's darn near impossible to add performance pages if the radio/VIN has been registered with uconnect at one point.
Maybe he can get it to work, the GT does have STP but probably no STP button with the little radio.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts