Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is off is the wheel base and overall length, this needs to be fixed for it to look like the original. 0:)

I don't think that is it. A 68 Charger has a wheelbase of 117" and the Challenger is 116.2"
The Cleveland Performance guys didn't have to section the body to modify the wheel base length.
I think the large diameter wheels sitting the stock openings look funny.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I like the front end with the stow away headlights, but I don't know about the rest of the body lines from the side view.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Flex has a lot of bad old school rides ...... I've been following him for 25 yrs.... one of the best DJ's ever. Google him:)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I like this better than FCA's '68 Super Charger.
That car didn't exactly set a "high bar". Dodge was going for a SEMA marketing tool.

The '68 Charger was built to be a platform for the introduction of the 426 crate engine stuffed inside. It was quite literally covered with parts from the current catalog. A great way to market the Dodge parts catalog offerings but not such a great attempt to make a good looking '68 Charger for a modern era. From the Demon style hood scoop to the wide body fender flares and more there were many changes but it wasn't an attempt to be a winning look in comparison to what the builder of this car was attempting. He clearly built it to mimic the early style as closely as possible. He clearly prioritized keeping all those great early model lines. He was willing to Retro Mod but not if it came at the expense of cluttering up the clean lines of the early body style.

No big surprise to me this car came out far better looking than the '68 with the new Super Charged 426.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,313 Posts
Wonder if you are driving at night and go into boost if the vacuum operated headlight hideaways slam shut. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
I don't think that is it. A 68 Charger has a wheelbase of 117" and the Challenger is 116.2"
The Cleveland Performance guys didn't have to section the body to modify the wheel base length.
I think the large diameter wheels sitting the stock openings look funny.
Yeah I think you may have nailed it, in my opinion first gen muscle cars don't look right with anything over 17" wheels, and yes I know modern brakes are hard to fit under smaller wheels. :wink3:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It's cool but I wish they would have shown a full on side view of the car. Something is wonky about the roof line and rear side window. The front and rear look ok but the greenhouse does not look right. Anyway, pretty cool but I would rather have an actual 68-70 body on it. Or maybe I'm just blind lol..
There is something "off" but fixing it may not have been possible.

If you want the REALLY SPOT ON correct side view of the roof line and windows, that mimics the past, you'd have to include the longer rear-side window from the early model Charger.

The starting point here was a new Challenger so you get the Challenger rear quarter window and it does change that side view in a BIG WAY.

Like you I prefer the Charger shape to the modern Challenger shape of the little rear window and what that does to the roof line. This builder probably considered trying to incorporate the old style rear quarter window but if you think about how much longer that old style window was vs the modern Challenger rear quarter window it's easy to imagine he'd have had to stretch out the distance of the roof line to accommodate it. Even with the shorter triangle he's still managed to make it look stretched to point like the original but I bet if you could put a tape measure to it you'd find his charger style rear quarter window comes in short in length along the bottom vs the original design, at least that's what I think I'm seeing in the pictures.

I think about that for a moment and what how he would have to shorten up the rear deck lid appearance to accommodate the full length of a full length rear quarter window and I come away thinking he made the correct compromise decision here.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah I think you may have nailed it, in my opinion first gen muscle cars don't look right with anything over 17" wheels, and yes I know modern brakes are hard to fit under smaller wheels. :wink3:
17" does seem like the limit for actual old cars. Any bigger and you usually end up with tires and sidewalls that look far too short.

Since this car isn't an actual original "old car" it's as much a Modern Challenger as it is an attempt to mimic that classic Charger look I can easily give him a pass on this self imposed "rule" for how things should look.

I also DON'T hate these wheels. The color scheme on the car itself makes them almost the perfect choice.

The car is too loud and takes too many risks for production car but as a one off custom. I think it's pretty tasty.

The builder is clearly a PRO I'd consider for a make over of one of my cars in a heart beat if I was so inclined to do that. This is car done RIGHT in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello everyone. my names danny, one of the builders of this car. thank you for all the kind words. if you want to see some more of this car we have a short video we made about it on youtube. it wont let me add a link but just search this tittle 2019 / 1969 DODGE CHARGER HELLCAT CONCEPT YOU CAN OWN . we are building more this year with full carbon fiber bodys so if anyone would be interested feel free to reach out to me 646-335-8248. also follow our Instagram @sixtwelveautoworx for some more photos of this car and other projects in the shop. thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What is off is the wheel base and overall length, this needs to be fixed for it to look like the original. 0:)
the wheelbase? by an inch because the new challengers wheelbase is 116 inches while the old chargers wheelbase is 117 inches

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,859 Posts
hello everyone. my names danny, one of the builders of this car. thank you for all the kind words. if you want to see some more of this car we have a short video we made about it on youtube. it wont let me add a link but just search this tittle 2019 / 1969 DODGE CHARGER HELLCAT CONCEPT YOU CAN OWN . we are building more this year with full carbon fiber bodys so if anyone would be interested feel free to reach out to me 646-335-8248. also follow our Instagram @sixtwelveautoworx for some more photos of this car and other projects in the shop. thanks.
Great job on this Charger but I'm pretty sure that to build one with a full carbon body is WAAAAAAY out of my budget!

You did a Beautiful job though!

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
132 Posts
Seen this before, if you ask me, it does not fit the best (especially around the roof), here is an older example from 2008ish on a 2007 Magnum SRT, IIRC

mopar5150

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,517 Posts
More pics on the website he linked, unless you meant actual size :p

A Guy

21 - 37 of 37 Posts