Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dodge may cause millions of dollars to be pointed in their direction rather than the Auctions with the new Challenger. Muscle Car Auctions have become a rich mans play ground not to mention restoration companies are making plenty of good money building clones and putting original Mopars back together. Will the game change when Dodge bring back the Challenger and the 392 HEMI? Will the muscle car auction for 1970-71 HEMI Cudas and Challenger prices drop?

What would you pay $35,000 for a 07 Challenger 6.1 HEMI or $200,000 for a 1970 Challenger

and yes we can compare carter carbs versus fuel injections....:D

·
Registered
492 Posts
Believe me, although I'm most certainly a classic 70's 'Challenger' fan and miss mine dearly, I'd definitely spend the two hundred grand much more wisely. ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
Believe me, although I'm most certainly a classic 70's 'Challenger' fan and miss mine dearly, I'd definitely spend the two hundred grand much more wisely. ;)
Hey DJ,...I smell our first troll....what do you think brother?;) PM me.:cool:

T
0 Posts
That's the problem with the auctions, they have ran the prices up so high that the average working class man can't afford the classic anymore. Anyhow, not going to get into a debate over that, I would rather have the new version. The suspension is going to be better, the steering, the powertrain, the brakes. It is exactly what the elaborate customizers attempt to accomplish, the blend of modern technology with classic lines, except the working class can afford it, hopefully!

·
Registered
21 Posts
As I've said in other forums. I'd like to take the body and drop it on a modern chasis/computer/engine/transmission etc.

The best of both worlds

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey VP, Im not bashing the old challenger or the new in any kind of way. Last time I checked a troll is someone who lurks the forums bashing all the posts and starting fights. Please go and read all my posts and enlight when I have bashed anything about the new Challenger or the old. I would rather handle this like gentlemen:cool: I made a statement about auctions, some may agree some may not.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi all. Long time mopar watcher seriously considering a new high end challenger.

This is a topic I've been thinking about recently. This is strictly my opinion. I realize there are a number of hemi owners here who are probably more than a little concerned about what will happen when the new challenger debuts.

I think there are at least two classes of people who may not like the debut of this car: auction houses and collectors. Based on the direction DC is taking the old challengers will be valued by a far smaller group of hardcore leno-types who have the cash and (more importantly) the interest to shell out for the original. The old car derived its lofty value from the fact it was carrying a detuned racing engine - a trait that the 392 hemi (and any future successor) will share if reports are correct. If DC sells even 3000-5000 of these 392+ hemi cars a year (and they will, I'll certainly be buying one) I think the value of the old cars could plummet, especially when you factor in all the benefits of 35+ years of technical advancement (steering, handling, reliability, etc). The new challenger will be far more sought after (for lower prices) by all but the hardcore collectors.

The only thing that could keep this from happening is if DC misfires big time (eg no 6 speed manual option) or the car itself is seriously hampered by the LY platform (eg, a 4600 lb car). I don't think this is likely given what we've seen. DC has learned their lesson.

what do you guys think

·
Registered
598 Posts
AMG said:
Hey VP, Im not bashing the old challenger or the new in any kind of way. Last time I checked a troll is someone who lurks the forums bashing all the posts and starting fights. Please go and read all my posts and enlight when I have bashed anything about the new Challenger or the old. I would rather handle this like gentlemen:cool: I made a statement about auctions, some may agree some may not.
Don't jump to conclusions AMG, do your research first.... I wasn't talking about you brother,someone else.;) :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it would provide a much-needed reality-check to the classic musclecar market. Who is going to spend $20,000 on a driver-quality 318-powered '72 Challenger when you can get a 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi-powered new car for a little more?

·
Registered
49 Posts
first of all you dont go to the gym with 1,000 suit on. so you don't daily drive a classic 1970 Challenger. I'm sure people do but guaranteed they didn't pay 200,000+ for it. The classic car market is elated right now. eventually the "bubble" will pop and the prices will go back down and then eventually up again like in the 80's. If anything the new challenger might bring more light to the classic challengers and increase they're prices once again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don’t think the new Challenger will hurt sales of the originals at all. I would tend to believe they will help promote the older ones because of exposure to the general public. Look at 67-69 Camaro sales. They’re getting high dollar for cut up former pro-street cars AND YOU CAN BUY BRAND NEW BODIES FOR THEM. With Classic cars you have to remember there are always those who will want the numbers matching date code correct cars and they will pay out the nose for them. I for one love Classic Muscle cars. I have a couple; I drive them not as daily drivers but just for fun. I love the fact that I have to open the hood and work on them from time to time. If I could get my hands on an original Hemi car I would love it. Will I pay 200gs for it well sure if I had a job that paid 7 figures. Since I don’t I buy an 08 and be very very happy with it every day as I drive it to work and back.:D

·
Registered
779 Posts
IMO the new car won't hurt the value of the cream of the crop old ones...all original drivetrain/paint/etc, particularly the six-pak and hemi versions. However, the cars with issues, such as converted 318 cars, clones, etc., will suffer.

Collectibles are collectibles. I remember seeing a 70 hemi Challenger at the Mopar Nationals back in 1990 or so with 729 original miles. The car was brand new inside and out. I shot video of the car because it was such a time capsule. I don't know what became of it, but if it is in similar condition, it will bring top dollar regardless of the new model.

·
Registered
107 Posts
for me personally, I looked at the classics and I've looked at new cars. I'm 32, so I'm to young to have known or have had a classic muscle car but damn their nice looking. I actually had the chance to sit down and drive a 69 Super Bee, now that was POWER. But the thing for me was all the creaks and groans, and the louder/bumpier rides the classics have.

If the Challenger comes back to life, I think it's the best of both worlds for a younger guy like me. The classic look and feel, together with the modern items that make the ride nice smooth and quiet. Just my $.02 worth! :cool:

·
Registered
334 Posts
tekhen said:
As I've said in other forums. I'd like to take the body and drop it on a modern chasis/computer/engine/transmission etc.

The best of both worlds
Uh uh...

the New Challenger is a Better Looking Car, IMHO...

LJB:D

PS: My FIRST Car, ever, was a 1971 Plymouth Road Runner 383.

I WILL buy the New Challenger, when it's available. I OWN a 2006 300c/SRT8
-

·
Registered
114 Posts
Andrew said:
Id spend it on the '70 challenger.

What would you rather have, one of 90ish '70 hemi challengers or one of 10,000+ '08 hremi challengers?
I really dont care about rarity
it's my car not someone else's
i dont care how many people have it
if i have it
im all good

·
Registered
21 Posts
The new Challenger will boost classic Challenger prices through the roof. Go price a '67 Mustang Fastback and you'll see what I mean.

BTW Carter Thermoquad > Fuel Injection

·
Registered
23 Posts
AMG said:
Dodge may cause millions of dollars to be pointed in their direction rather than the Auctions with the new Challenger. Muscle Car Auctions have become a rich mans play ground not to mention restoration companies are making plenty of good money building clones and putting original Mopars back together. Will the game change when Dodge bring back the Challenger and the 392 HEMI? Will the muscle car auction for 1970-71 HEMI Cudas and Challenger prices drop?

What would you pay $35,000 for a 07 Challenger 6.1 HEMI or $200,000 for a 1970 Challenger.
I thought the same thing for a minute, but you can't really compare the two...the investor with the 200,000 may buy the new one too and park it with under 100 miles..someone with that kind of scratch isn't presented with this "choice" to buy one or the other. I doubt a new car will hurt, it will only help in the long run. 1st generation appreciation being what it usually is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts