Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

im a new challenger owner, got my 2018 392 TA last night. Im a previous mustang guy and was going to get a 2018 GT when i stopped to drive a challenger....3 test drives later i bought it. I have a few questions if you guys can assist? my dealer is as useless as tits on a bull.

1) driving home, the radio, iPod and voice button on steering wheel did not work with both keys in the car. when i get in with one key it seems ok. is this unusual?
2) i leave my iPod plugged in, yet every time i get in i have to unplug it and plug it back in to get the car to see it. Is that a busted USB?
3) the estimated gas range is all over the place. in my mustangs, it showed how many miles you have until empty. this tank is full, and it says 200 miles, i drove for 40 miles, now it says 207 miles. whats going on with this?
4) how many miles per full tank should i get with conservative driving? has to be over 200 miles. this tank is way bigger than the mustang and the mustang got 330 per tank.

thanks for any help you can provide, im sure ill have more later.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Hi All,

im a new challenger owner, got my 2018 392 TA last night. Im a previous mustang guy and was going to get a 2018 GT when i stopped to drive a challenger....3 test drives later i bought it. I have a few questions if you guys can assist? my dealer is as useless as tits on a bull.

1) driving home, the radio, iPod and voice button on steering wheel did not work with both keys in the car. when i get in with one key it seems ok. is this unusual?
2) i leave my iPod plugged in, yet every time i get in i have to unplug it and plug it back in to get the car to see it. Is that a busted USB?
3) the estimated gas range is all over the place. in my mustangs, it showed how many miles you have until empty. this tank is full, and it says 200 miles, i drove for 40 miles, now it says 207 miles. whats going on with this?
4) how many miles per full tank should i get with conservative driving? has to be over 200 miles. this tank is way bigger than the mustang and the mustang got 330 per tank.

1. No Clue.

2. No Clue.

3. Gas range will obviously vary with your average MPG. If you are driving city only and get 14 MPG, you will get less gas range than someone driving highway and getting 22 MPG.

4. I easily get 200+ miles out of the tank and I drive mostly city, and average about 14 MPG. I have the A8 and if I drove highway, I could probably get 22-28 MPG easy.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I also have to re-plug the USB in sometimes but also notice I need to touch the forward arrow on the Uconnect with the new upgrade. 24 mpg is pretty easy to get with these cars.

Curious how you compare the new GT with the T/A. You obviously like the Challenger but interested in you thoughts on the two. That '18 GT is real contender against the 392 based on reviews I've seen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well to be honest, its not a contender. that would mean its close. the new mustang is a beast and any stock v stock race will end with you staring at the ass end of the mustang. the days of 5.slow are indeed over. they are under rated (hp wise) and im not sure how ford is getting that 5.0 to perform like that. its got to be the new 10 spd. however, i didn't like how the 10 spd hunts around for the right gear. i felt the dodge was better in that regard.

i was bored with the mustang experience and wanted a new one. the challenger is so big to drive it really does bring back memories. i had to convince myself by driving it and the new mustang a few times. the new mustang beats the challenger in handling and now speed too, but the challenger is more comfortable and is truly the last muscle car left. im not a track guy, im a guy that spends a lot time on highways and getting around town, and for that the challenger is a great experience.

i love the big 3, in not really loyal to any so i never count any out when buying. too many people's blind faith really gets in the way of new experiences. i will say, the new camaro is horrid on the interior. the dash is essentially an iPad. ipass.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My miles left bounces around with the type of driving I do.

Bounces up when cruising. Bounces down when I hit stop 'n go. It's just projecting based on current consumption.

Enjoyed reading why you picked the challenger over the mustang. I was shopping between the two myself, but on the used market. Challenger just made me smile more while driving.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I keep a thumb drive loaded with MP3's in mine all the time. It's always there to play from. Maybe the Ipod is the issue.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,373 Posts
I drive a 2015 SRT 392 with the A8. I get 19 to 21 mpg most of the time around town. On the hwy I've gotten 28. These may be some of the highest numbers on this forum as most guys DRIVE these things. Me? I'm just extra conservative. Keep in mind, this is a BIG engine. It can really drink the gas when you get on it. You likely won't see 330 miles on a tank unless you are trying to drive REALLY conservatively.

Your gas tank has 18 gallons if I'm not mistaken.

At 20 mpg, that's roughly 360 miles on a tank if you drive it like I do.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,664 Posts
The latest software on 2016 at least added an Autostart function to be turned on (I use a usb stick, and it always autostarted when switched to). I had to turn on autostart. Not sure if that might be the issue. A Guy

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
well to be honest, its not a contender. that would mean its close. the new mustang is a beast and any stock v stock race will end with you staring at the ass end of the mustang. the days of 5.slow are indeed over. they are under rated (hp wise) and im not sure how ford is getting that 5.0 to perform like that. its got to be the new 10 spd. however, i didn't like how the 10 spd hunts around for the right gear. i felt the dodge was better in that regard.

i was bored with the mustang experience and wanted a new one. the challenger is so big to drive it really does bring back memories. i had to convince myself by driving it and the new mustang a few times. the new mustang beats the challenger in handling and now speed too, but the challenger is more comfortable and is truly the last muscle car left. im not a track guy, im a guy that spends a lot time on highways and getting around town, and for that the challenger is a great experience.

i love the big 3, in not really loyal to any so i never count any out when buying. too many people's blind faith really gets in the way of new experiences. i will say, the new camaro is horrid on the interior. the dash is essentially an iPad. ipass.
Did you get the 6-speed or the A8? I ask because the A8 is very fast, I haven't lost to a new Camaro or C7 Vette yet and I can't wait until a new Mustang wants to tangle. The tests I've seen on the new Mustang don't show it being THAT fast, about where the new Vette or Camaro tests out, so I'm wondering why you are so high on it???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you get the 6-speed or the A8? I ask because the A8 is very fast, I haven't lost to a new Camaro or C7 Vette yet and I can't wait until a new Mustang wants to tangle. The tests I've seen on the new Mustang don't show it being THAT fast, about where the new Vette or Camaro tests out, so I'm wondering why you are so high on it???

i got the A8.

im high on the mustang because ive driven it. it is faster than my Challenger. not by a full second...but faster. you do not want to tangle with an 18 if you are easily bruised. you will lose. all day. twice on sunday. im speaking stock vs stock, auto vs auto.

the mustang has ran 1/4 miles times at 12.02 stock. no challenger has ever done that STOCK. no slicks, no intake, no tunes..bone stock flat 12. LMR got it into the 11's with slicks only. all evidence is on the youtube. the manual is not as fast for obvious reasons.

if you haven't lost to a c7, then i would say that car needs a driver mod, or you must have some mods yourself.

i absolutely love my challenger and i have no regrets passing up the 18 GT. none. but my decision was based on several factors, not just performance. there are many many things a challenger does better than both mustangs and cameros. and for me, a half second difference is nothing because i dont race and i dont mod these days. the challenger is plenty fast for my needs and my ego and it always has smoked both of them in the looks dept. as i mustang owner i was always jealous of the look.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The latest software on 2016 at least added an Autostart function to be turned on (I use a usb stick, and it always autostarted when switched to). I had to turn on autostart. Not sure if that might be the issue. A Guy
i have that set to on and off and no difference.

sometimes my audio locks up. the radio, satellite and iPod wont work. the volume knob doesn't change volume, and the speak button on the steering wheel doesn't work. nav works, and the voice commands work.

im thinking this might be an amp issue.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
i got the A8.

im high on the mustang because ive driven it. it is faster than my Challenger. not by a full second...but faster. you do not want to tangle with an 18 if you are easily bruised. you will lose. all day. twice on sunday. im speaking stock vs stock, auto vs auto.

the mustang has ran 1/4 miles times at 12.02 stock. no challenger has ever done that STOCK. no slicks, no intake, no tunes..bone stock flat 12. LMR got it into the 11's with slicks only. all evidence is on the youtube. the manual is not as fast for obvious reasons.

if you haven't lost to a c7, then i would say that car needs a driver mod, or you must have some mods yourself.

i absolutely love my challenger and i have no regrets passing up the 18 GT. none. but my decision was based on several factors, not just performance. there are many many things a challenger does better than both mustangs and cameros. and for me, a half second difference is nothing because i dont race and i dont mod these days. the challenger is plenty fast for my needs and my ego and it always has smoked both of them in the looks dept. as i mustang owner i was always jealous of the look.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your Challenger once you can get a feel for it. People have gone into the high 11s stock with A8 392s in good air. 11.68 is the fastest with DRs for a stock A8 392 in good air, and don't kid yourself, those LMR runs were done on a good day too. I'm ready - and have been beat before so I ain't scared ;)

If you only know of Challenger magazine times you will be really surprised! And one of C7s I have outrun was driven by someone who also has a very fast drag car. Trust me, he can drive.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I test drove a Mustang before buying my Challenger. It seemed fast, but the cheap feel of everything inside and the crapped seating was something I couldn't live with. That and (in San Diego) being $2000 more...no brainer.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on the new car. Good luck with the radio issues. You have the HK right? Mine does seem to have a reception problem at times. Very slight but noticeable. The best of luck. Talk about, both sides now. There was a song....... an OLD song.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1. Not sure. I've never tried this on mine, but it seems like it might be a security feature. Like if the computer recognizes 2 fobs, it may think it's abnormal and it could be a theft attempt?

2. My iPod occasionally locks up, reboots at random, and seems to be on all the time, even when the car is off. I attribute these minor annoyances more to the iPOD than the car or uConnect. Still it shouldn't require a reconnect every time. Maybe that's attributed to the model of iPOD you have. I have the iPOD classic, which may have different quirks than say a Nano....

3. Your estimated gas mileage will be all over the place until you finish about the 3rd tank of gas. This is normal and makes sense if you think about it. The computer bases your average gas mileage based on the MPG data that is fed to it. Being that it's a new car, there is no MPG data until you actually create that data :) By the 3rd tank or so you now have driven more miles and the car has more data to build the averages on, make sense? Mine did the same thing, but you'll also notices that it will get more and more stable and accurate as you put more miles on it.

3. I drive very conservatively and most of my driving is a mix of highway and town. I average around 21-22 MPG and it goes up to 23-24 in summer with the better gas. I'm also in Colorado and get an automatic 2-3MPG better than a car at sea level, due to altitude. Higher altitude=less air, which means less fuel is required to mix with the air. Of course I also get a 20% drop in engine power as well :( I would say with conservative town driving you should get around 15-17 and 18-20 on the highway. If you can hover around the second range of 18-20, you'll get about 350-365 miles out of a tank. The computer will estimate this and show you the data on the MPG screen. I'm not sure exactly how large our gas tanks are, but they seem smaller, like maybe around 18 gallons.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Congrats on the new car!

Uconnect is great compared to most other infotainment systems and mine works perfectly with IPOD. (its a 16 but my 15 did too)

Stick verses stick your gonna outrun the 18 mustang...still no torque and the new stang is more porky than the 17....closer to us now lol...

As for the 10 speed...verses 8 speed drivers race....all day every day twice on Sunday... :lol: Hell the auto 392 Challengers are quicker to 60 and 1320 than the GT350s a lot of the time...

ps get some miles on it and gas estimates get better....I get 360 to 400 on every tank and I fill when light comes on...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i absolutely love my challenger and i have no regrets passing up the 18 GT. None. But my decision was based on several factors, not just performance. There are many many things a Challenger does better than either the Mustang or the Camaro. For me, a half second difference is nothing because i dont race and i dont mod these days. The Challenger is plenty fast for my needs and my ego and it has always smoked both of them in the looks dept. As a mustang owner, i was always jealous of the look.
Was just looking over what you wrote here. I couldn't have said it better. Having driven the Camaro and sat in the Mustang, I can confirm that I don't care how fast the go-kart is, I don't want one. I don't like sitting on the ground or staring "eye level" at the bumper of the car in front of me. I don't want to have to grunt every time I get in and out of my car. I don't like microscopic trunks or nonexistent back seats. But beyond that, young lead-footers are going to gravitate toward the cheapest horsepower they can find and the bragging rights that come with owning the performance car that gets through either slalom or quarter mile a few tenths of a second quicker. But then, I was young once, and thought the same way. But now that I've gained a few years (and a few pounds), the minivan serves me better than the pickup truck. The 145 horse FJR Yamaha with it's driveshaft, adjustable windshield and all day comfort and reliability serves me better than the 200 hp. crotch rocket. And then there's my Challenger. Everything I could want in a car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i love all the replies. thank you.

so the radio....

i took it in to a different dealers service and the manager there is awesome. i never get to say that anymore because people dont give a damn about their jobs enough to do it with pride these days. this guy was great.

it was closer to me than where i bought the car and im glad i went there, ill never go back to the absolute cluster **** dealership i bought it from. only went there because they dont negotiate. anything i said, they agreed to. strange.

so i called ahead and spoke to the manger, i get there with no appt, he comes out, takes my keys comes back in 30 minutes all fixed. he said he saw the issue (thank god) and documented if this fix doesn't stick. said he would order a new one if it continued. all he did was a "hard reset" and everything is perfect now! even fixed a slightly mis-aligned hood for me without asking!!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I drive very conservatively and most of my driving is a mix of highway and town. I average around 21-22 MPG and it goes up to 23-24 in summer with the better gas. I'm also in Colorado and get an automatic 2-3MPG better than a car at sea level, due to altitude. Higher altitude=less air, which means less fuel is required to mix with the air. Of course I also get a 20% drop in engine power as well :( I would say with conservative town driving you should get around 15-17 and 18-20 on the highway. If you can hover around the second range of 18-20, you'll get about 350-365 miles out of a tank...
(Edited: thanks Sandman for your feedback) You said a couple things here that I thought I'd comment on. First, you said that your mileage goes up in the summer with "the better gas." I'd like to add a couple factors, one of them being that there's a sweet spot, roughly between 65-75 where we get the best mileage and the best horsepower. Above or below: not so much.

Then you talked about less air and better mileage. In trying to prove your statement, you admitted that an engine makes 20 percent less power at higher altitude. Not sure about the percentage, but the concept is true. Less air density indeed = less max power, but that's because an engine can only suck so much VOLUME into the cylinders at wide open throttle. But this doesn't affect partial throttle applications, AND THIS IS where you get your gas mileage. Here's what I think actually happens: your computer adjusts for the oxygen level and feeds the engine less fuel. It maintains the same fuel air ratio at altitude as the rest of us enjoy at sea level. If it didn't, your engine would self destruct from running lean. It will make just as much power as the car needs to travel at a given speed (at partial throttle), and will use the same exact amount of gas to do it. However, full throttle horsepower will be limited (as you pointed out) due to a lower volumetric efficiency. But this will not affect partial throttle gas mileage. This is controlled by the computer. This was not uncommon many years ago with carburetors: they ran lean at altitude, ruined gas mileage, and sometimes engines as well. That said, on average, 2/3's of the horsepower your car needs to maintain average speeds year in and year out... is used up fighting air resistance. The thinner air is much easier to deal with, and the car needs less power to push through the wind. This may be where a good percentage ofi your extra mileage comes from (at higher altitude), especially if you travel a lot of expressway speeds.

I do not question your numbers, some guys swear to better mileage at sea level, others at altitude. But there's much more (on a scientific level) going on here than most of us (myself included) can grasp. Needless to say, there is a lot of good evidence on both sides of that fence.

Bottom line: one thing I do know is that temperature is also a huge factor here. It is a truth that engines get MUCH worse mileage at temperature extremes, say 32 or even 115... than they do at 70.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi All,

1- Nothing certain here from my perspective, but I will throw out that I had to do a firmware update on the Uconnect in my 2015 RT to get it to work properly with my iPhone 7. Do a Google search and you will find a site where you plug in your VIN, it tells you if you need an update based on age of the car, you download the file to an empty USB stick (I had to extract the actual update file it out of the zip file it downloaded), put it in the car's port, put the car in 'start' position on the button and it updates itself as it boots up.

2- Uconnect update might fix this behavior. The USB isn't busted or it wouldn't work at all. I always use bluetooth, so not familiar so much with direct attached USB behavior.

3- The milage estimate is active - meaning it will adjust itself based on how hard/soft the engine runs. You can be gentle in the driving for a few miles and it will creep up higher. Then hit it hard on an on-ramp and suddenly lose 20 miles estimate within 30 seconds lol. Big engines running hard, even briefly, guzzle gasoline.

4- in my 5.7 RT with manual 6 speed I get around 21mpg taking it pretty easy on my commute. Half freeway, half surface street. I've got as high as 26 on a long 5 hour freeway drive keeping it under 75. If you are 100% surface street in traffic it would be awful mpg lol.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts