Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2020 scat pack shaker challenger should I change the oil earlier than the recommended first change? Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not a thing wrong with doing it if you want to. But should you? Who knows, unless there is some circumstance with the engine that would make an early oil change necessary to be on the safe side. Just remember the old saying, if it ain't broke dont fix it. As long you stick to dodge recommended service whether by miles or months, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I did. I changed mine at 800 miles. Your engine has a lot of chemicals and lubricants from the assembly process. While Dodge says you are good, common sense says to swap out the oil for clean stuff.

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
8,311 Posts
My uncle bought a new Dodge truck once and did the first oil early. He is no longer alive.

I purchased the 2011 Challenger in my signature brand new, and I did not do the first oil change early. I am still alive.

The choice is yours; choose wisely!

·
Registered
478 Posts
My uncle bought a new Dodge truck once and did the first oil early. He is no longer alive.

I purchased the 2011 Challenger in my signature brand new, and I did not do the first oil change early. I am still alive.

The choice is yours; choose wisely!
🤣🤣

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Everyone has their "thing" on this subject.

FWIW, I did the first change on my 392 right around 3k miles.

Since the first one, I follow the factory service schedule for the 392. 6k miles or 6 months, which ever comes first.

Another FWIW, at just shy of 6k miles, the oil life display showed 2% oil life left.

Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I changed mine at around 1200 miles. If you do it yourself, it's cheap. No downside really. Take the opportunity to put a fumoto valve on it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wasn’t sure if they put special lube in the oil To lubricate all components and I worry about pieces of foreign matter in the oil. Somebody once said nowadays they dyno Different motors on the assembly line at random

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I wasn’t sure if they put special lube in the oil To lubricate all components and I worry about pieces of foreign matter in the oil. Somebody once said nowadays they dyno Different motors on the assembly line at random
It’s cheap piece of mind then to change it around 1000 miles the first time.

·
Super Moderator
16,497 Posts
the engines are "cold spin" on a test rig to check for any noises, oil pressure is verified. The machine can detect if there's equal compression from all cylinders by measuring crank speed variation referenced by the Crank Position Sensor

that test stand oil is drained out - after the 10th engine run on the stand, that batch of oil is replaced with new.

Daimler uses this post-assembly procedure to test its engines prior to being sent to the vehicle assembly plant.

at the point when the engine is installed on the vehicle at the assembly line, its filled with the 7 quarts (V8s) of oil that is spec'd for that engine.

With modern diagnostic tools, a test can be run to see if compression in all cylinders are similar to one another - again using crank speeds and referencing by the Crank Position Sensor.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
886 Posts
If early oil change was required or recommended to protect the engine from failure and FCA from warranty liability, FCA would recommend / require it. They don't, recommendation is 6Kmiles or as indicated by oil life meter. With that said, if you feel better by changing the oil earlier do it, it your prized possession.

Reactions: Jazz Blue Scat

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
547 Posts
most engine builders recommend changing oil at 3k for the first oil change. ive done that for probably 20 cars and trucks ive bought since the early 70s and never had an premature engine failure. When i took my last chev a 17 silverado in at 3k for its first oil change the service manager told me i was nuts. He said car manufactures are very conservative on how long you can go between changes and he sure wouldnt bother till 5k.

Theres not a lot of metal produce during break in anymore. Heck look at a ls or hemi that has 50k on it and theres still cross hatching from the finish hone on the cylinder walls. the assembly lube used on cams and other parts doesnt hurt a thing. I still error on the conservative side at 3k but sure wouldnt waste an oil change at a 1000 miles. Probably even the metal that might be produced breaking in your motor hasnt even had a chance to make it into the oil yet. But all that said if you want to change your oil ever 500 miles for the first 50k your not hurting anything but your wallet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If early oil change was required or recommended to protect the engine from failure and FCA from warranty liability, FCA would recommend / require it. They don't, recommendation is 6Kmiles or as indicated by oil life meter. With that said, if you feel better by changing the oil earlier do it, it your prized possession.
Auto manufacturers want me back every few years for a new vehicle. I believe they have an inherent conflict of interest which introduces a bias in their recommended maintenance schedule. They need to bring enough longevity and value so that I buy from them again (and not a different brand), but the vehicle also needs an end of service life to compel me to replace it eventually.

To answer the original question it is necessary to understand the long term intentions for the vehicle. Do you move on to a new vehicle every few years? If so, stick with what the manufacturer says. Is this a toy which you intend to keep for special use for many years? If so, then I suggest exceeding the manufacturer's schedule at whatever level you feel comfortable spending the time & money.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
672 Posts
Change it early, run the old oil through a strainer and open up the oil filter. Make sure there are no metal bits in there.

·
Super Moderator
16,497 Posts
unlike GM with the dry-sump C7 'Vette engines (Z51 / Z52 / Z06) that required an oil & filter change after the first 500 miles...there were engines that had oil starvation issues and seized...

GM euphemistically referred to the issue as "assembly debris".

In reality, they cut corners not flushing the engines out prior to assembly - that's pretty crappy, given this was their halo performance car and this is taking place.

There were two different Vettes that a car magazine was testing at the track. Engine seized in 1st one, then they were provided a 2nd vehicle and it failed at the track as well...

Reactions: hansman and mully95

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 scat pack shaker challenger should I change the oil earlier than the recommended first change? Thanks
Hell yeah. I would get the 1st oil change done no later than 1500 miles regardless of what the manual says.
There are a lot of debates on this subject but one thing remains the same, metal to metal contact in the beginning will make a difference in the end. I believe adhering to old school break in procedures never should have changed! There is still assembly lube used, also all different types of mating is going on during the first 1000 miles. Even after that, I still use the 3k-5k rule on all my vehicles along with full synthetic. It is my money, and I think it a a great place to waste it!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Guys, this is pretty simple if you think about this way; the manufacture has a "500 mile" break in period.

This is because the engine is new and has never had any (zero) full on heat cycles. All the different metals are expanding and contracting- as a unit-- for the first time. Some metals expand at different rates and the "mating" process crates grooves (small shavings) in the different metals.

If you ever have rebuilt and engine, you will always put the same piston back in the same cylinder and the same push rods and rockers together--- because they have worn (metal shavings) together.

Change your oil early. Just because Fruit of the loom says your under ware can last for months doesn't mean you shouldn't change more often.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Guys, this is pretty simple if you think about this way; the manufacture has a "500 mile" break in period.

This is because the engine is new and has never had any (zero) full on heat cycles. All the different metals are expanding and contracting- as a unit-- for the first time. Some metals expand at different rates and the "mating" process crates grooves (small shavings) in the different metals.

If you ever have rebuilt and engine, you will always put the same piston back in the same cylinder and the same push rods and rockers together--- because they have worn (metal shavings) together.

Change your oil early. Just because Fruit of the loom says your under ware can last for months doesn't mean you shouldn't change more often.
Actually, it's been said by several in the know around here, that the break in is more for the rear end gear set.

Owners just need to be comfortable with what they do to their rides.

That's all that matters.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
672 Posts
Actually, it's been said by several in the know around here, that the break in is more for the rear end gear set.

Owners just need to be comfortable with what they do to their rides.

That's all that matters.
Does that imply that one should change the diff oil sooner as well?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts