Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Scat Pack Shaker on order, comments about the progress are in a different post on this forum. While that waiting game is playing out, the next best thing is to start planning mods for post-delivery. I am looking for the requisite bolt-on mods which are 'better sooner than later' mods. Performance & appearance mods are further down the road. Here is what I have come up with:

1) Catch can. Seems that custombilletstore.net is the preferred vendor to purchase from, correct?

2) Rock Guards. I do live up a gravel lane out in the country. Not sure whether OEM or aftermarket is better. Suggestions?

3) Sto-n-Go License plate bracket. I specifically ordered the car without a front plate bracket so that the dealership lot lackeys don’t find it in the trunk and think they need to start drilling the bumper.

4) Jack adapters for the pinch welds. Suggestions?

That’s the list of must-have’s I have uncovered to limit incidental wear & damage. What am I missing?

Thanks,
-Eric

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,536 Posts
Along with rock guards, have you considered any Paint Protection Film (PPF)?

Most popular catch cans seem to be the BT can yes, also UPR, JLT, and Speedlogix

IMHO opinion, the MOPAR splash guards have the best appearance integration with the 2015+

ZL1 Addons most popular for pinch weld adapters, but there are others, and also puck type jack adapters, etc.

BTW, I consider window tint as required ;)

A Guy

Reactions: moparnoother

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Sto n Go-- if your state requires a front plate, they will try to put it on. My suggestion is that you tell your salesman not to have it installed and if you can be there when the car arrives.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yep, make it VERY clear that if they drill the front, you won't be accepting the car as delivered!

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
246 Posts
1) Catch Can - I'm about to order one myself too and I decided to go with the UPR

2) People think I'm crazy, and I am, but good idea for you, for me not so much, but I have different priorities and thoughts about that stuff I won't get into

3) As others have mentioned, make it CLEAR to the dealer you don't want holes drilled! Even without the bracket they may still try. When I got my Avenger it didn't come with a bracket. It was a dealer stock car. No front plate or bracket on it when I test drove it. Then in the time I was in the office signing the paperwork and they were doing the final detailing they drilled 2 holes in the front bumper and put on a dealership plate.

4) Looking into those, but not as worried about them myself either

and some more...

5) I agree with A Guy, window tint should be required!

6) Tires!!! Especially if the Shaker still comes with 245s (do they still? I'm not sure). For my 1320, I'll be immediately getting new tires for the front. No point in wasting drag radials up there. Then I'll leave the stock DR on the back, burn through the first pair, then mount up the 2nd pair that I'll have taken off the front...burn through those, and then get some slightly wider tires on the back, shouldn't take too long to burn through the stock DRs with how I drive. Plus I'll be getting some front skinnies for the track

7) I know you're not concerned with performance at first, but the Hellcat lower box, tube, and filter is pretty cheap and easy to install. Plus what's the point of having the open inner headlight without it? I still don't understand why Dodge doesn't do this already

8) REMOVE the yellow splitter guards! And then sell them on ebay and help pay for your other mods!

9) No one ever mentions these, but a Windshield Screen. Might not be as needed up in your area. Down here in Texas it's a must. Keeps the car cooler and keeps the sun off the dash.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
My dealership said without explicit direction they are told never to install any front plate on any Challenger.
I have no plate for 8 years in a state where it’s required and never a word said.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good notes guys! Thanks!

Yes, dealer is doing window tint. I am also having them put on a ceramic coat. That will all be done before I take delivery.

As for the license plate... The dealer specifically asked me if I wanted the front plate mount. His words... "We'll leave it off the order, that way the guys on the lot won't find it in the trunk and think it should be installed. If you want one, we can just give it to you." But I will reiterate the no-drill detail when we get closer to taking delivery. I figure I can drive the car with the temporary rear-window plate for the first month before having to worry about installing a front plate.

I ordered 275/40 tires. While this will be primarily a fair-weather car, I do live in Oregon and it does rain here - so All-Season tires over the Summer tires.

I will probably bring it home with the splitter guards on. Without going into all the details and drawing a picture, the entrance to my shop is on a slope. I want to make sure I don't drag anything the first time in. Assuming it clears properly (I expect it to, but I am cautious), the splitter guards will come off at that time. Hehehe - selling them on eBay... "Rare factory Mopar splitter guards, not available for general purchase, high-visibility accent yellow".

Yeah, I know about the rock guards. If I lived in suburbia with wall-to-wall blacktop, I wouldn't worry about it. But I am out in the sticks. The roads are generally fine, but you never know when a logging operation drags some gravel on to the road unexpectedly. And I am a 1/4 mile up a gravel lane that I limit myself to 10mph on. It is the price I have to pay for wanting property, privacy, and a large shop.

I have had sunshades over the years. I don't worry about it unless the car is going to be parked all day in the hot sun on a regular basis. Just not a regular problem we have in the Pacific Northwest. That's good advice for anyone reading this who lives in the sun-belt though.

Yup, Hellcat airbox is top of the non-essentials mod list. ;)

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
175 Posts
My car wasn't a special order, just sitting on Dave Smith's lot, but fortunately someone had the foresight not to put the plate bracket on, and they even told me "we didn't figure anyone would want us drilling into this thing, so the bracket is in the trunk". Its something I hadn't even considered until they said something. Then I found the bracket in the goodie bag they gave me, didn't even know what it was at first. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
175 Posts
Good notes guys! Thanks!

Yes, dealer is doing window tint. I am also having them put on a ceramic coat. That will all be done before I take delivery.

As for the license plate... The dealer specifically asked me if I wanted the front plate mount. His words... "We'll leave it off the order, that way the guys on the lot won't find it in the trunk and think it should be installed. If you want one, we can just give it to you." But I will reiterate the no-drill detail when we get closer to taking delivery. I figure I can drive the car with the temporary rear-window plate for the first month before having to worry about installing a front plate.

I ordered 275/40 tires. While this will be primarily a fair-weather car, I do live in Oregon and it does rain here - so All-Season tires over the Summer tires.

I will probably bring it home with the splitter guards on. Without going into all the details and drawing a picture, the entrance to my shop is on a slope. I want to make sure I don't drag anything the first time in. Assuming it clears properly (I expect it to, but I am cautious), the splitter guards will come off at that time. Hehehe - selling them on eBay... "Rare factory Mopar splitter guards, not available for general purchase, high-visibility accent yellow".

Yeah, I know about the rock guards. If I lived in suburbia with wall-to-wall blacktop, I wouldn't worry about it. But I am out in the sticks. The roads are generally fine, but you never know when a logging operation drags some gravel on to the road unexpectedly. And I am a 1/4 mile up a gravel lane that I limit myself to 10mph on. It is the price I have to pay for wanting property, privacy, and a large shop.

I have had sunshades over the years. I don't worry about it unless the car is going to be parked all day in the hot sun on a regular basis. Just not a regular problem we have in the Pacific Northwest. That's good advice for anyone reading this who lives in the sun-belt though.

Yup, Hellcat airbox is top of the non-essentials mod list. ;)
They tried to sell me on the ceramic too. I had heard of it before but was already pushing my budget. I may end up regretting that decision.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,222 Posts
This is my first car with only minor mods and they are mostly cosmetic....

1- Scat Pack with bee spoiler badge, the new for 2020 factory one.
2- Speedlogix polished billet catch can
3- Hellcat lower air box, AEM tube, and AEM dry filter
4- Merrick color matched intake rings
5- tinted windows, max legal 35%
6- Scat Pack bee start button

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
My front springs settled a little bit, measure it when you get it and see if it does. I had to buy new ramps as the splitter hit before the tires touched and that was only a couple of months in. It was fine the first time.
When entering my driveway on a hill, I turn in and go one front tire at a time and it does help as opposed to going straight on.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They tried to sell me on the ceramic too. I had heard of it before but was already pushing my budget. I may end up regretting that decision.
Yup, that is exactly where I am at with the Jeep I bought from them in February. I will actually take the Jeep back to them for ceramic too when I pick up the Challenger. $900. I asked why that seemed so cheap competitively. Because of their volume, they have full time staff doing ceramic coating. Whereas other dealers are out-sourcing 1-2 a month to 3rd party detailers.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
175 Posts
Yup, that is exactly where I am at with the Jeep I bought from them in February. I will actually take the Jeep back to them for ceramic too when I pick up the Challenger. $900. I asked why that seemed so cheap competitively. Because of their volume, they have full time staff doing ceramic coating. Whereas other dealers are out-sourcing 1-2 a month to 3rd party detailers.
They quoted me 750...you say it was 900 for the jeep or challenger? I had never looked into it so I had no idea what a good price was. I'm already regretting since this morning, went to leave for work and a bird had left a giant s*** on my hood. Fuuuuu****

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They quoted me 750...you say it was 900 for the jeep or challenger? I had never looked into it so I had no idea what a good price was. I'm already regretting since this morning, went to leave for work and a bird had left a giant s*** on my hood. Fuuuuu****
Quoted $900 for the Challenger. I assumed it was a per-vehicle price.

How recent was your $750 quote? I am suddenly having a loss of faith in their fixed price model....

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
175 Posts
Quoted $900 for the Challenger. I assumed it was a per-vehicle price.

How recent was your $750 quote? I am suddenly having a loss of faith in their fixed price model....
Do you want me to lie to make you feel a little better? It was last Saturday lol.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,536 Posts
Ask the dealer what "ceramic" they are using. Remember, dealers are the one who would Simoniz your car. Even if it's a true ceramic coating, they are not created equal. You may be happy with the dealer installed product results, but be aware it's not because of high volume it's cheap. What do they think a detailer does full time, lol. Just a heads up, your choice.

A Guy

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you want me to lie to make you feel a little better? It was last Saturday lol.
Well that works. I only have ink on paper for the Challenger, not for the ceramic.

"I was chatting with some guys on the Internet and found out you lowered the ceramic price. That's great news, and I appreciate it! Dave Smith really is a good dealership which passes on the high volume benefits to the customer...."

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
85 Posts
Although my challenger is supposedly 4-6 months away, I am also compiling a list of mods/accessories. So far I have to get 35% tint. I specifically told the dealer not to mount the front plate (drilling the dimples) until I get there. I was planning on doing the toggle bolt lower fascia mount using the stock plate holder inverted. I was told they will take the safety check pictures and need to mount the plate for them/upon leaving the lot. I am thinking of getting some PPF for the front, I am still deciding if i should do the partial hood or full hood/front clip, and possibly rockers. I am studying up on Turtle Waxe's hybrid ceramic wax to see if that's any good, on all my cars and bikes I have always used Collinite. A tint shop here also sells some kind of clear anti UV front windshield "tint" that supposedly keeps the car cooler by rejecting the hot sun rays...anyone have a clue about that?

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
246 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on my very first mod, was wanting to wait a bit longer, at least until my Challenger starts going down the assembly line, but Summit racing is having a Memorial Day weekend sale and I can save 60 bucks on an air intake I was wanting to get. I just know if I go for it as soon as I get it it's just going to make the waiting even worse.

But anyway, for anyone looking to get their first (or second or third or...) mods, this is a good weekend to pick them up since there'll be some sales going on.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The 6-piston Brembo pads on my Scat dusted those beautiful front wheels in about 100 miles. Switching to PowerStop pads was the best mod I made on that car.
I don't have that problem with my R/T. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts