Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm a Mopar guy from way back and I have always wanted a new Challenger. I have had my sights set on a 2020 because of the 50th Anniversary year and what might be available. I was disappointed with what was offered, which in my opinion amounted to a sticker package. I was really hoping for at least Hemi Orange making a reappearance, but hasn't happened. I will settle for Go Mango and I have narrowed it down to 2 models. The 1st choice is RT Scat Pack Wide Body, the 2nd choice (out of my price range) is a Hellcat Wide Body. My problem with the Scat is that I don't believe I can get it with a black hood. I know I can get it after market, but that just brings the pricing closer to the Hellcat which has a much cooler hood in my opinion. I will be holding on to this car, so that's the only real reason for even considering the Hellcat. I don't need all that power, it could only get me in trouble.
The next issue is whether or not to order one. I keep hearing that the actual purchase price will be determined by whatever discounts are available at the time of delivery. Even though I hear there are some exceptions, I don't know if I want to take that gamble. As far as purchasing off the lot, I believe the pricing would be much better, but I risk not finding exactly what I want.
Either way, I am in no hurry to get the right vehicle.
Jim

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT 392
205 Posts
As far as the hood. You should be able to get a hellcat style good (that's the one I am looking at) for around 1k then you just need it wrapped or painted for at most another 1k. So that's only 2k and I think that number is high.

Or you if you like the hood on your car just get it wrapped.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
939 Posts
Hi,
I'm a Mopar guy from way back and I have always wanted a new Challenger. I have had my sights set on a 2020 because of the 50th Anniversary year and what might be available. I was disappointed with what was offered, which in my opinion amounted to a sticker package. I was really hoping for at least Hemi Orange making a reappearance, but hasn't happened. I will settle for Go Mango and I have narrowed it down to 2 models. The 1st choice is RT Scat Pack Wide Body, the 2nd choice (out of my price range) is a Hellcat Wide Body. My problem with the Scat is that I don't believe I can get it with a black hood. I know I can get it after market, but that just brings the pricing closer to the Hellcat which has a much cooler hood in my opinion. I will be holding on to this car, so that's the only real reason for even considering the Hellcat. I don't need all that power, it could only get me in trouble.
The next issue is whether or not to order one. I keep hearing that the actual purchase price will be determined by whatever discounts are available at the time of delivery. Even though I hear there are some exceptions, I don't know if I want to take that gamble. As far as purchasing off the lot, I believe the pricing would be much better, but I risk not finding exactly what I want.
Jim
The hood shouldn't be your deciding factor between these two cars, as there is a big price difference and they perform pretty differently. The Hellcat has over 200hp more than the other, and has an upgraded transmission and driveline (driveshaft, half axles). It also doesn't handle quite as well as the 392 because it's more nose heavy, by about 200 pounds.

Consider also if you plan on any mods, while accepting that they would kill your factory warranty.

I wouldn't worry about costs too much right now, the auto market is down due to corona and Dodge and its dealers have been making all kinds of sweetheart deals. Power Dollars are still a thing I think. And I've seen brand new, bare bones Hellcats with cloth interiors (easily upgradeable via Katzkin leather for relatively cheap) going for 48k on dealer lots.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
447 Posts
Hi,
Jim
Just take it to get painted black. I did that with my spoiler. They will take it off and paint it and put it back on. Easy peasey.
But as mentioned, i certainly wouldnt consider a Hellcat just for the hood if thats the only draw.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Is the 392 T/A an option you've looked at? Its the same a regular scat pack, just in a optioned package. The T/A brings a black hood, but also black roof and decklid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have considered the TA, but not really interested in the shaker. Thanks for all the replies, maybe the Scat is the way to go, just need to figure out the hood.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,744 Posts
Test

A Guy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
Jim
I spent all of 2019 and 2 months this year searching for the one and only Challenger I wanted. Finally gave up and ordered it only to be put on hold because of the virus. It finally got delivered on July 3rd.
Had the RT stripes put on and getting the ceramic coating done. I pick it up Monday! It’s been a long wait.
Only option not on this car is the block heater! This baby will live in my heated garage whenever it’s not out on a sunny day. Hopefully I’ll never have to use the wipers.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Nice!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts