Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new Challengers DO NOT come with a CD player only usb ports. Now I have all these CDs I can no longer play? My iphone has little music on it and you can't copy mp3s to iphones so can I get a CD player installed or plug an external cd usb port player into the car? I tried playing my mp3s off of a usb stick into the usb port on the car but it doesn't recognize the media. My previous 2009 Challenger not only played CDs, MP3s but DVDs (audio) too? Is it possible to have a CD player installed into the car? The dash is all digial so I dunno? Also don't want to void the warranty. Anyone else unhappy about this CD player delete?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellcat Widebody - Triple Nickel
38 Posts
Try a different USB drive. I have a '19 Challenger and a '19 Durango and use a USB in both with no issues.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The nice part about the USB ports is that you can a) Use AndroidAuto (or Apple CarPlay) and b) you can buy tiny USB thumb drives (so small they barely stick out of the USB port) - with 128GB or more of space - enough to hold every one of your CD's plus a lot more - and they can even play FLAC and WAV files.

You should not have any issue using a USB thumb drive. They may need to be formatted with FAT32 though (can't remember if they support NTFS-formatted thumb drivers or not).

I know it seems like a pain now, but once you get all of your music ripped from your CD's onto a thumb drive, it's so nice. You have every CD available at the touch of the screen. No more inserting and removing CD's all of the time. Makes things like shuffle play really nice. You can even "tell" the car what you want it to play via the cars built-in voice recognition. THere is a small learning curve, but it's worth it.

That all being said, you can connect a portable CD player if you really want to (using the headphone-style AUX-in connector). Not sure about USB CD drives...

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
So the new Challengers DO NOT come with a CD player only usb ports. Now I have all these CDs I can no longer play? My iphone has little music on it and you can't copy mp3s to iphones so can I get a CD player installed or plug an external cd usb port player into the car? I tried playing my mp3s off of a usb stick into the usb port on the car but it doesn't recognize the media. My previous 2009 Challenger not only played CDs, MP3s but DVDs (audio) too? Is it possible to have a CD player installed into the car? The dash is all digial so I dunno? Also don't want to void the warranty. Anyone else unhappy about this CD player delete?
Been this way starting with the '15 model year.

Reactions: hemi4us

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
518 Posts
What are CD's? I kid. :)

Reactions: JavierA

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Hi antman67, We kindly recommend connecting with your local Dodge dealer to see if this option is available for your model year Challenger.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
651 Posts
2013 Ram has no CD player :(

·
Registered
516 Posts
OMG there's no cassette player either!!! I kid, I kid...but yeah, technology n stuff.

To the OP - from your sig I see you went forward 10yrs w/the new ride (congrats!).
Besides the audio system changes, what are your impressions/the big differences you've noticed so far?

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,326 Posts
2013 Ram has no CD player :(
That’s only because it wasn’t ordered with one. My previous 2013 3500, previous 2014 3500, and current 2018 4500 have CD players.

@JavierA

I went through at least two “Foghat—Live” eight track tapes during my last two years of high school.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I thought there was a Gov mandatory buy back on all CD's (except Nickleback) sometime in 2012...just before the Mayan calendar apocalyspe, somethin about an Alien landing needed them for fuel to get back home, or...thus the lack of players since then. :cool:

Reactions: NoCash

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
For my 2016 I have ripped all of my CD's and put them on a SD drive which I have in the center console, I stared with a flash drive but the SD does not stick out so went with that.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I played a CD in my Mustang. I was planning on getting the HK in the Challenger to play some though. Does songs sound as good as a CD after being ripped onto a SD?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I played a CD in my Mustang. I was planning on getting the HK in the Challenger to play some though. Does songs sound as good as a CD after being ripped onto a SD?
All depends on how you rip them. Generally speaking, especially in a car environment, 320k .mp3's are pretty much indistinguishable from CDs. But if you really wanted to rip a 1-for-1 copy of the CD with absolutely no quality loss, you could rip to FLAC or WAV files (the newer Challengers support both formats).

1 - 20 of 73 Posts