Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Well after some troubleshooting I discovered some usb thumb drives don't work with my car. Why I'm not 100% sure? There were all formatted to Windows FAT32 and none were formatted using NTFS or MAC file format. The 5 on the LEFT work. The 2 on the right do not work with my car but work on the pc? Ironically the 2 on the right out of all these choice were the 1st ones I chose not thinking it was the usb drives but figured let me try more & glad I did. I copied just 1 mp3 file onto all of them. The same identical mp3 song to see if it was the file or the drives? Glad to know it was the usb drives. So I feel better now knowing it's NOT my car but those 2 usb drives for some reason? At least now I know NOT to use those 2 usb drives but they do work on my pc so go figure?

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
815 Posts
Does one need to purchase software to burn CD’s to a USB thumb drive or SD drive....or is it readily available online free somewhere?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Does one need to purchase software to burn CD’s to a USB thumb drive or SD drive....or is it readily available online free somewhere?
You can do with apps built into Windows (Windows Media Player) - don't even need to download any software...

Free online, but who still has a CD player on their PC?
I do. I actually have both a DVD reader/burner as well as a CD drive... It's not like CD/DVD technology is that obsolete - lots of people still use it. Hell, if you buy a piece of software in a store, it most likely comes on CD/DVD...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I do. I actually have both a DVD reader/burner as well as a CD drive... It's not like CD/DVD technology is that obsolete - lots of people still use it. Hell, if you buy a piece of software in a store, it most likely comes on CD/DVD...
Who still goes to the store for software? Like, are BestBuy and Circuit City even in business anymore?

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Who still goes to the store for software? Like, are BestBuy and Circuit City even in business anymore?
You'd be surprised. I certainly do not buy software in a store anymore, but not everyone is up on tech. There are a lot more people than you realize that still use CDs, for example. Hell, everyone doesn't even have access to highspeed internet, so downloading huge software isn't even an option for everyone.

My point is that just because you and I don't still use CDs/DVDs on their computer, doesn't mean that everyone else is like that too. Hell, there are still tons of people running Windows 98 and Windows 7 too. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a cd on my computer, but haven't used it in years. I just checked and the damn thing doesn't even open anymore.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
15,584 Posts
I have a CD/DVD drive. Ultimate protection for Acronis Boot disc. Even if Windows won't boot, I can restore an image.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Well after some troubleshooting I discovered some usb thumb drives don't work with my car. Why I'm not 100% sure? There were all formatted to Windows FAT32 and none were formatted using NTFS or MAC file format. The 5 on the LEFT work. The 2 on the right do not work with my car but work on the pc? All the drives have just the 1 identical mp3 file on them that I copied to the usb drives. So I feel better now knowing it's NOT my car but those 2 usb drives for some reason? At least now I know NOT to use those 2 usb drives.
What are the sizes of the thumb drives? I know there is a limit to what the car will recognize, but I've never tried anything larger than 16G.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Good question. Is there a file size limit nothing larger than 16gb? I don't know. My 4gb thumb has about 700 songs & is only at 2gb 50% used space. I can't even imagine I'll fit it soon.
Interesting though, I put a thumb drive that had a movie on it in mp4 format & it played the audio of the film too.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
What are the sizes of the thumb drives? I know there is a limit to what the car will recognize, but I've never tried anything larger than 16G.
Like I mentioned, I have a 128GB thumb drive that works fine, so the limit is at least 128GB. Not sure how big you can go... I've also used a tiny USB thumb drive that takes MicroSD cards and a 200GB MicroSD card works that way too.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,368 Posts
Personally, unless just a ton of music to shuffle, I prefer keeping whatever I am listening to on an older iPod touch. Better playlist support, plus I do a lot of audio books, and you can switch around and never lose your place. I used to keep an ipod connected to one port, and a flash drive/card with music in the other. Now I typically have my phone for Android Auto in the one, and ipod on the other. Also for kicks, I did try a small USB powered CD/DVD drive like for a laptop in the USB port, and no go, it powered it, but didn't read it. I was hoping since there was a factory option it might work.
I pick up CDs at the library (typically audio books) and I have to wait until I get home and rip them to listen. Better in the long run, but no instant gratification.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Personally, unless just a ton of music to shuffle, I prefer keeping whatever I am listening to on an older iPod touch. Better playlist support, plus I do a lot of audio books, and you can switch around and never lose your place. I used to keep an ipod connected to one port, and a flash drive/card with music in the other. Now I typically have my phone for Android Auto in the one, and ipod on the other. Also for kicks, I did try a small USB powered CD/DVD drive like for a laptop in the USB port, and no go, it powered it, but didn't read it. I was hoping since there was a factory option it might work.
I pick up CDs at the library (typically audio books) and I have to wait until I get home and rip them to listen. Better in the long run, but no instant gratification.
Just curious - what do you like better about iPod playlist support? I found the 8.4 system in my 2018 to support all playlists and to have a lot of playback and browsing options (including voice recognition). I ask because I originally connected an iPod (have an old iPod Classic and an iPod Touch that I used with my old car), but then realized that I actually like the USB thumb drive and the cars "browser" even better. Also, what do you mean by "you can switch around and never lose your place"? I don't listen to Audiobooks, but the system always remembers where I left off in songs, etc.

Just curious what I'm missing about the iPod, if anything.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You'd be surprised. I certainly do not buy software in a store anymore, but not everyone is up on tech. There are a lot more people than you realize that still use CDs, for example. Hell, everyone doesn't even have access to highspeed internet, so downloading huge software isn't even an option for everyone.

My point is that just because you and I don't still use CDs/DVDs on their computer, doesn't mean that everyone else is like that too. Hell, there are still tons of people running Windows 98 and Windows 7 too. :)
That's why some software is available on a USB stick.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,368 Posts
Just curious - what do you like better about iPod playlist support? I found the 8.4 system in my 2018 to support all playlists and to have a lot of playback and browsing options (including voice recognition). I ask because I originally connected an iPod (have an old iPod Classic and an iPod Touch that I used with my old car), but then realized that I actually like the USB thumb drive and the cars "browser" even better. Also, what do you mean by "you can switch around and never lose your place"? I don't listen to Audiobooks, but the system always remembers where I left off in songs, etc.

Just curious what I'm missing about the iPod, if anything.
Well first, I haven't tried playlists on a usb with mixed media of general songs and audio books.
By not losing my place, I mean I can change source to the USB Flash drive and shuffle music, then switch back to the iPod and pick up my audio book where I left off. Or switch books and pickup where I was. I know I really could do all of that with my phone (Android), but I stick to what works. I have used iPod classic style 4th&5th (iPod Photo) and iPod touch 3rd and 4th gen.
I guess I could use some more time learning how to use music for random track, and audiobook sequential playback, all from flash storage. The voice control might actually be what tips me over.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So the new Challengers DO NOT come with a CD player only usb ports. Now I have all these CDs I can no longer play? My iphone has little music on it and you can't copy mp3s to iphones so can I get a CD player installed or plug an external cd usb port player into the car? I tried playing my mp3s off of a usb stick into the usb port on the car but it doesn't recognize the media. My previous 2009 Challenger not only played CDs, MP3s but DVDs (audio) too? Is it possible to have a CD player installed into the car? The dash is all digial so I dunno? Also don't want to void the warranty. Anyone else unhappy about this CD player delete?
Right im old school i still have a binder full CD's now i just stream from music apps

21 - 40 of 40 Posts