Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

141 - 160 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,420 Posts
The only ream benefit of factory nav, is full integration to all the displays. You can (and should) use offline maps on Google Maps with Android Auto/Carplay and be ahead of the game. And with wireless charging/connection, it doesn't get much better.
Once iOS/Android,either are IN the car, or integrate with center cluster & HUDs,factory Nav will be pretty rare.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I used to use "offline" navigation apps, but ever since I got the Challenger, I now use Waze via Android Auto. It shows up on the big 8.4" screen in the car just like a factory nav would, but it's much more "feature rich", the maps are always up to date (and no map upgrade fees!) and it just works better, IMO. No more $150 map updates. Points of interest are always up to date. Live traffic, live speed-trap notifications, live alerts about upcoming issues (Waze will even tell you if a big pot hole is coming up if someone reports it! - had that happen the other day). "Online" nav is sooooo much better, IMO.

That is why factory nav systems aer going away (just like physical CD players) - less demand for them. :) Most people are moving to "online" navigation apps like Google Maps and Waze - via Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Integrates just as well as factory nav, but less $$$ to maintain and more features/functionality. Obviously, you need a smartphone though (but seriously, the vast majority of people have a smartphone nowadays).

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am giving the thumb drive a try. I am one of the dinosaurs that had a 4 track in my 1964 dart gt lol but am willing to adapt to new tech. I picked up the recommended 128 sandisk and ripped 5 cds on my windows 7 computer set at mp3 and top quality at 320. Each rip took about 8 minutes and then maybe 30 seconds to synch. no info would transfer so I manually typed in the artist. I plugged the drive into the console on my 2015 8.4 screen and it worked pretty well. sound quality is not as good as the strong local radio oldies station but at least as good as the xm service i had before it ran out. For some reason the display shows one cd with name and shows the other 4 in unknown artist .When I touch that it then lists the cds by name. Maybe I have to create a new folder for each cd before synching? The volume is also lower. I have to listen at 15 to have the same radio volume set at 10. Other than the lack of automatic info there is no denying the convenience. I wish the sound quality was better but it beats the 4 track lol

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I used to use "offline" navigation apps, but ever since I got the Challenger, I now use Waze via Android Auto. It shows up on the big 8.4" screen in the car just like a factory nav would, but it's much more "feature rich", the maps are always up to date (and no map upgrade fees!) and it just works better, IMO. No more $150 map updates. Points of interest are always up to date. Live traffic, live speed-trap notifications, live alerts about upcoming issues (Waze will even tell you if a big pot hole is coming up if someone reports it! - had that happen the other day). "Online" nav is sooooo much better, IMO.

That is why factory nav systems aer going away (just like physical CD players) - less demand for them. :) Most people are moving to "online" navigation apps like Google Maps and Waze - via Apple Carplay/Android Auto. Integrates just as well as factory nav, but less $$$ to maintain and more features/functionality. Obviously, you need a smartphone though (but seriously, the vast majority of people have a smartphone nowadays).
My problem is that i hate smartphones. 🤮 in addition on not keeping up .
Ditto, maybe we should start a club?
(y)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I am giving the thumb drive a try. I am one of the dinosaurs that had a 4 track in my 1964 dart gt lol but am willing to adapt to new tech. I picked up the recommended 128 sandisk and ripped 5 cds on my windows 7 computer set at mp3 and top quality at 320. Each rip took about 8 minutes and then maybe 30 seconds to synch. no info would transfer so I manually typed in the artist. I plugged the drive into the console on my 2015 8.4 screen and it worked pretty well. sound quality is not as good as the strong local radio oldies station but at least as good as the xm service i had before it ran out. For some reason the display shows one cd with name and shows the other 4 in unknown artist .When I touch that it then lists the cds by name. Maybe I have to create a new folder for each cd before synching? The volume is also lower. I have to listen at 15 to have the same radio volume set at 10. Other than the lack of automatic info there is no denying the convenience. I wish the sound quality was better but it beats the 4 track lol
Something strange going on here.... Sound quality of a ripped CD should be significantly better than the sound quality of an FM radio station or XM station - by far. In my 2018 GT, media on my USB drive (320k .mp3's and .flac losless files) is by far the best source sound-quality wise. However, I do have a full aftermarket audio system. I think the factory system may be tuned specifically for XM - it's noticable "boomier" than other sources with the stock system. The ripped CD sound quality should be the same as the source CD (which again, should be significantly better than FM or XM).

Regarding the album/track info and album art - if you are going to get serious about putting your music collection on to a thumb drive, look into a music library "management" app. Some people use iTunes. I personally prefer a free app called "Music Bee". It will automatically fill in all of the artist/album/album art for you automatically. It will also allow you to easily create playlists, which are really nice when combined with "shuffle" mode. I personally keep my music library on my PC and let Music Bee "sync" it with the thumb drive for the car - it will also do that automatically. So if you rip some new CD's to your PC music library in Music Bee, you can just put the "car" thumb drive in the computer and tell Music Bee to sync any new CD's you've ripped to your library - it does it all automatically.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Pandora app from my phone into aux of a vehicle works fine for me. Even when in sketchy signal areas it gathers enough data to stream offline until I hit another tower.
And XM radio is worth it for me.
These are both cheaper for me than buying a computer and getting home internet.
No interest in owning one. Don't have time anyways.
I can do what I need from my phone to get by.

·
Registered
333 Posts

I had no idea you could get the map on the car screen. You can't do that in my Mustang (at least as far as I know) and we all know it isn't a good idea to take your eyes off the road to look at the tiny smart phone screen. If this really is possible then there is really not much benefit of the built-in NAV. Thanks, this info may have saved me nearly 1k when it comes time to ordering the car.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
I had no idea you could get the map on the car screen. You can't do that in my Mustang (at least as far as I know) and we all know it isn't a good idea to take your eyes off the road to look at the tiny smart phone screen. If this really is possible then there is really not much benefit of the built-in NAV. Thanks, this info may have saved me nearly 1k when it comes time to ordering the car.
I agree. Tech things make my head hurt but that is indeed very interesting. Makes me glad I didn't pony up the $ for NAV on my recent order. I don't need NAV very often but I will definitely try to figure how to make this work when my Scat comes in.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Something strange going on here.... Sound quality of a ripped CD should be significantly better than the sound quality of an FM radio station or XM station - by far. In my 2018 GT, media on my USB drive (320k .mp3's and .flac losless files) is by far the best source sound-quality wise. However, I do have a full aftermarket audio system. I think the factory system may be tuned specifically for XM - it's noticable "boomier" than other sources with the stock system. The ripped CD sound quality should be the same as the source CD (which again, should be significantly better than FM or XM).

Regarding the album/track info and album art - if you are going to get serious about putting your music collection on to a thumb drive, look into a music library "management" app. Some people use iTunes. I personally prefer a free app called "Music Bee". It will automatically fill in all of the artist/album/album art for you automatically. It will also allow you to easily create playlists, which are really nice when combined with "shuffle" mode. I personally keep my music library on my PC and let Music Bee "sync" it with the thumb drive for the car - it will also do that automatically. So if you rip some new CD's to your PC music library in Music Bee, you can just put the "car" thumb drive in the computer and tell Music Bee to sync any new CD's you've ripped to your library - it does it all automatically.
Well this will be on the current 18 speaker Harmon Kardon system if it works with all of this above stuff mentioned.

I agree. Tech things make my head hurt but that is indeed very interesting. Makes me glad I didn't pony up the $ for NAV on my recent order. I don't need NAV very often but I will definitely try to figure how to make this work when my Scat comes in.
You betcha. I will just move t he Garimin and Tom Tom units out of the bedroom and into the car when I need them. Save $$$ off of initial price of vehicle and future problems of that NAV unit that is incorporated into that informant system.

(y)saved $$$$

Pandora app from my phone into aux of a vehicle works fine for me. Even when in sketchy signal areas it gathers enough data to stream offline until I hit another tower.
And XM radio is worth it for me.
These are both cheaper for me than buying a computer and getting home internet.
No interest in owning one. Don't have time anyways.
I can do what I need from my phone to get by.
So see different things will work to compensate. I have home computer, smartphone internet/cable wifi but don't know how to apply them to this music application in new vehicle system. But hopefully just the subscription of the XM SIRUS will eliminate most of all this high tech stuff. I try to keep everything separate. Everything can tie in together but just hope don't have problems. It's much easier to view all of this on a computer monitor with bigger screen than that tiny 6-12 inch phone which is another distraction when driving and for some people who are addicted to their phone. Now with the computer system if you are on it alot like I have been lately you must be aware of the eye, neck and back problems that you will be exposed to.o_O:eek:🤮😖. Same goes for phone ergonomics play a big role. Everything must be in moderation. I sure do miss my cassette player.:unsure:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The newer Challengers (2017+, I think?) support AndroidAuto/Apple CarPlay. With AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay, you plug your phone into the USB port in the console and it will display music streaming apps (Pandora, Spotify, Tidal, etc), Navigation apps (Google Maps, Waze, etc) and even "local music" apps that run on your phone on the 8.4" screen in the Challenger. Basically, the apps run on your phone, but you see and interact with the interface on the car screen. It works really well.

So it's more than just Nav - it's any "AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay"-compatible app. You can even use the XM phone app that way (which generates better sound quality than the over-the-air XM) - you will just be steaming XM over the internet on your phone instead of "over the air" via XM radio signals. :) There are even apps that let you listen to FM radio stations from across the country regardless of your physical location.

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are game-changers for sure....

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The newer Challengers (2017+, I think?) support AndroidAuto/Apple CarPlay. With AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay, you plug your phone into the USB port in the console and it will display music streaming apps (Pandora, Spotify, Tidal, etc), Navigation apps (Google Maps, Waze, etc) and even "local music" apps that run on your phone on the 8.4" screen in the Challenger. Basically, the apps run on your phone, but you see and interact with the interface on the car screen. It works really well.

So it's more than just Nav - it's any "AndroidAuto/Apple Carplay"-compatible app. You can even use the XM phone app that way (which generates better sound quality than the over-the-air XM) - you will just be steaming XM over the internet on your phone instead of "over the air" via XM radio signals. :) There are even apps that let you listen to FM radio stations from across the country regardless of your physical location.

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are game-changers for sure....
But does this use your data on phone plan?

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
674 Posts
You're Mustang must be older than 2017. That's when Android Auto/ CarPlay compatible units went into Dodge vehicles anyways.

141 - 160 of 190 Posts