Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone so im getting my 6sp fixed at the dealer, it had the greese spline issue, i got a call right now saying my clutch only has about 30% life left and they saw "heat spots" on the fly wheel? i dont trust them and i feel they are just trying to get some money out of me, i was quoted $1079.00 for a new oem clutch and flywheel? what should i do? they did say it should last me another 45-50k miles if i decide to put the old clutch back in, thanks

·
Premium Member
10,055 Posts
How much are the parts? They already have the car apart so the labor should be pennies to install them. Go there and ask to see the old and new ones to compare them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much are the parts? They already have the car apart so the labor should be pennies to install them. Go there and ask to see the old and new ones to compare them.
for both clutch and flywheel is $1079.00 he said he would give me the opportunity to buy a new one since the transmission is out already

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine went at 40k miles. I bought an aftermarket clutch. McLeod. Look around, got mine for about $600. Lucked out with a sale and coupon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: Elwood617

·
Registered
161 Posts
If it's going to be apart, go for it. Some aftermarket clutches don't use the flywheel, but it does stay in. That's how mine is. Save money now by getting it done instead of paying the labor twice. They just might have to sit on your car while it's apart and you're looking for a clutch.

It'll be like driving an entirely different vehicle. Relearning to drive it. I like mine. Race clutch built for way more hp, but still maintains drivability of stock.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's going to be apart, go for it. Some aftermarket clutches don't use the flywheel, but it does stay in. That's how mine is. Save money now by getting it done instead of paying the labor twice. They just might have to sit on your car while it's apart and you're looking for a clutch.

It'll be like driving an entirely different vehicle. Relearning to drive it. I like mine. Race clutch built for way more hp, but still maintains drivability of stock.

Well they want me to buy an OEM so they can warranty it and they wont wait for me to order one by mail so its either get it from them or nothing

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
825 Posts

Well they want me to buy an OEM so they can warranty it and they wont wait for me to order one by mail so its either get it from them or nothing

Seems like a no brainer to me... If you're suspicious go look at the old parts and compare to the new ones for piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I can see where the dealer might not be trusted. But, it's all the way apart, and now is the time to put all new parts in.

·
Premium Member
10,055 Posts
If it's a warranty repair why would there be any cost? Call a different parts dept and see what the parts cost.
Not saying they are doing this but I know of a dealership that has charged the customer for a repair and then gets it paid for under warranty so they are getting paid twice. That was told to me by a good friend who is a dealership general manager when we were talking about unscrupulous things done in the industry.

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
If it's a warranty repair why would there be any cost?
Because technically there's no warranty on a clutch but most dealers will give you 12 months or 12,000 miles.
So even if they are doing the labor under warranty, they are not going to give you a clutch at 35,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
10,055 Posts
It would be nice if they sold him the parts for cost as the car shouldn't need to be molested in the first place. They wouldn't be out anything.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hey everyone so im getting my 6sp fixed at the dealer, it had the greese spline issue, i got a call right now saying my clutch only has about 30% life left and they saw "heat spots" on the fly wheel? i dont trust them and i feel they are just trying to get some money out of me, i was quoted $1079.00 for a new oem clutch and flywheel? what should i do? they did say it should last me another 45-50k miles if i decide to put the old clutch back in, thanks
The grease spline issue is directly related to the clutch replacement issue in no uncertain terms. A hanging clutch will affect the life of the clutch due to slippage. 35,000 miles is a short life span for a clutch unless severely abused.

Was the car new when you bought it? Were you new to a manual transmission car?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was the car new when you bought it? Were you new to a manual transmission car?[/QUOTE]

It was used and noo iv been driving manuals my whole life. I just told them to put it back on they didnt want to wait for me to look around making it even more suspicious to me il just save up for a performance clutch:)

·
Registered
610 Posts
are you one of those people that downshifts when getting into a red light? if not then clutch should not be burned after 35k miles.. in any case follow your gut feeling.. and tell them to put it back again and buy a performance clutch and installed it somewhere else.. is not expensive to install a clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
are you one of those people that downshifts when getting into a red light?
Why would this matter???

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Why would this matter???
Because improper downshifting, ie: not rev matching to the lower gear, is clutch abuse and it will be worn out long before it should have been.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts