Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 R/T
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just wanted to share my latest project. In continuing with my black/red detailing theme, I spent today painting my valve covers, fuel rails, and the raised ridges of my half covers red.

Unfortunately, this is a bittersweet project complete, as I botched the paint job so badly that I'm seeing some pretty substantial flaking with moderate abrasion. I'm happy to get the satisfaction of seeing the vision come to fruition, but it will definitely have to be redone in the near future.

So here's the story for those interested. Removal of the components and tape masking went well. Got everything staged to paint with my G2 brake caliper/engine paint, and then gut-wrenching despair as I open the can and see GREEN! I had bought the wrong color. With all the work that went into removal and masking, I had to try something so I decided to try VHT spray paint. I used the primer and paint, following the instructions to the letter, but it appears its just not a strong adhesion to whatever the valve covers and fuel rails are made of because its... not looking too durable.

Oh well, I'm happy to see the new colors on the engine, if only for a short time before it will need to be replaced. I'm planning to do a cam swap soon, will probably plan to redo the painting with my original paint plan (G2) when I get time to do the cam project.
Engine Trunk Hood Automotive engine part Machine
Automotive fuel system Engine Machine Fuel line Automotive engine part
Engine Automotive engine part Baggage Automotive super charger part Fuel line

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
375 Posts
Hi all. Just wanted to share my latest project. In continuing with my black/red detailing theme, I spent today painting my valve covers, fuel rails, and the raised ridges of my half covers red.

Unfortunately, this is a bittersweet project complete, as I botched the paint job so badly that I'm seeing some pretty substantial flaking with moderate abrasion. I'm happy to get the satisfaction of seeing the vision come to fruition, but it will definitely have to be redone in the near future.

So here's the story for those interested. Removal of the components and tape masking went well. Got everything staged to paint with my G2 brake caliper/engine paint, and then gut-wrenching despair as I open the can and see GREEN! I had bought the wrong color. With all the work that went into removal and masking, I had to try something so I decided to try VHT spray paint. I used the primer and paint, following the instructions to the letter, but it appears its just not a strong adhesion to whatever the valve covers and fuel rails are made of because its... not looking too durable.

Oh well, I'm happy to see the new colors on the engine, if only for a short time before it will need to be replaced. I'm planning to do a cam swap soon, will probably plan to redo the painting with my original paint plan (G2) when I get time to do the cam project.
View attachment 1011032 View attachment 1011033 View attachment 1011034
I have to say, I never thought purple and red looked good together, but the way you detailed with the red looks fantastic on top of that shade of purple. I think the other times I’ve seen something with purple and red they were just the wrong shades because your engine looks awesome. Good stuff.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm not sure where you're seeing the purple as the color scheme here is black and red, perhaps its due to the bright lighting I've using to illuminate the scene in the photos. Purple or not, I appreciate that you like the colors nevertheless!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Your color is not purple?? Must be your lighting...

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Surely you see it in your pictures? Here are the color codes from the half covers with a color picker
Motor vehicle Product Technology Web page Screenshot

Here is the bare aluminum in one picture

As I say, either your lights, or your camera. No big deal, I'm sure they are black, but not in your pictures

A Guy

Reactions: PrestonRT

·
Registered
2016 R/T
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, when you pull the colors out like that, I can see it. Its definitely the lighting, but the fact that I can't see it in the photograph itself must just be due to the fact that I know what it looks like in reality, so my mind just pulls that information from memory when I view the photo. Super interesting!

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
375 Posts
I’ve noticed that often black has a tint to it, usually a dark green tint or dark purple. Lighting makes a big difference and most people have different eye sight. My eyes like to play tricks on me.

I’m curious if any one else sees only black with no purple tint.

But I’m glad Guy sees the purple tint also. Unless we are both color blind, lol.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
I know from Black :D

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 R/T
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3 months later and it's still purple....
Actually I did repaint and hit the plastic covers with back to black a few weeks ago, I just forgot to follow-up on this thread. I'm pretty happy with the colors in the engine bay now, but what a wild ride!
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Hood Automotive fuel system
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,198 Posts
Looks good...black ;)

A Guy

Reactions: PrestonRT
1 - 14 of 14 Posts