Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally replaced the Goodyear Eagle RS-A all-season tires on my 2009 SRT.

After much research, I purchased two 245/45-20 and two 275/40-20 Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 Ultra High Performance all season tires, from Discount Tire Direct, a Supporting Vendor. These tires debuted in 2016 and are highly rated and relatively inexpensive for such high quality. Their wear/performance rating is excellent at 500 AAA. As a bonus, Cooper is offering a $100 rebate on them (for months of April and July 2018). Although you can buy cheaper tires, this is absolutely the best bang for your buck.

My final price was a super low $564 ($664 minus $100 rebate) for four tires. This included free shipping (UPS with shipment tracking), no sales tax and lifetime road hazard protection from Discount Tire. What a sweet deal and great vendor!

Also, since my TPMS sensors were 9 years’ old, I replaced them with the original equipment Schrader sensors. These will have to be Star-scanned by the dealer. However, it pays to get the right sensors, otherwise, you may be faced with an additional mounting and balancing expense if you buy incorrect sensors.

For comparison, I took two photos of the tires, both on and off my car. I really like the “old school” staggered look. Since my 6.1 could easily smoke the original 245s, I’m going to appreciate the wider rear rubber.

Here are the tire specs and some Youtube reviews for the G1 tires:

245/45-20 (front)- 9.6” Section Width, 8.2” Tread Width, 28.7” Diameter, 30 lbs.

275/40/20 (rear)- 10.9” Section Width, 9.5” Tread Width, 28.7” Diameter, 33 lbs.

https://www.6speedonline.com/articles/review-cooper-tire-cooper-zeon-rs3-g1/

As far as mounting, I found a local speed/custom wheel shop with a state-of-the-art Hunter center clamp tire changer. I didn’t want to take a chance on a garage scratching my expensive Alcoa forged aluminum wheels.

In a future post, I’ll let you guys know if mud flaps or 3M Protective film are necessary to avoid rear fender paint chips with the wider 275/40-20 tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Looks like a great all-season tread design- and be ready to be impressed with the difference a 275 makes on the rear. You'll wonder how you survived on 245s for so long LOL!

Not to be a told ya so person- well too bad of one anyway- get those MOPAR splash guards on ASAP before you chip your paint or beat up your rockers too bad! ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today, I did a quick 0-60 mph run. The new 275/40-20 Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires provide great traction and really help to control tire spin. My time was 5.1 sec.

·
Registered
2012 Yellow Jacket SRT8
34 Posts
Glad to hear you are happy with them. I just ordered a set earlier tonight. Performance and bang for your buck, can't go wrong. Tire choices are always a big deal anymore with our rides. Looking forward to getting them on. My current Indy 500s have been at the end of the line. Only drive my girl in the summer, but haven't been super pleased with the Firestones even when they only had 5k miles on them.

·
Super Moderator
13,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Danny Koker of Counting Cars also likes the new Cooper Zeon G1 tires. He recently installed them on a 500 hp. LS3 1967 Corvette that he built for a former 4-star General.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Your tires are what determine the majority of traction and acceleration. Pick out sticky tires at a competitive width and mount them to wheels that fall within the manufacturer’s width guidelines. Pay close attention to the weight of the wheels and the tires. Heavy setups will kill performance.

·
Super Moderator
13,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New Tires

Glad to hear you are happy with them. I just ordered a set earlier tonight. Performance and bang for your buck, can't go wrong. Tire choices are always a big deal anymore with our rides. Looking forward to getting them on. My current Indy 500s have been at the end of the line. Only drive my girl in the summer, but haven't been super pleased with the Firestones even when they only had 5k miles on them.

How have you liked the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 tires?

·
Registered
2012 blackberry pearl R/T Classic
137 Posts
I installed a set about 3 weeks ago, seems like a good tire for the price. :smile:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Since there are no Cooper Zeon tires in 18", What is the next Cooper choice for a 2012 R/T 235/55/18 ? My original Michelin pilots treads are peeling with 25k miles.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
When I bought tires for my Hurst Stunner wheels I got the Cooper RS3S summer tires since I store my Scat Pack during the winter. I also went the staggered route 20"x9" front rim with 245/45 and 20"x10" rim in the rear with 275/40 they look and drive great. There is still room in the rear for more tire when these ware out I think I will try a 295/40 in the rear and a 275/45 in the front. I have been putting Cooper tires on my cars for years I like the performance and Quality and they are American made.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts