Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering installing the new 426 540 hp motor in my 2009 SRT. I have seen it discounted online for 11,100. Some have suggested that you can get a 25% price reduction which would put it at 10,561. Besides labor what other additions would be needed? Power steering, A/C, computer? Thank you in advance for any input.

·
Registered
428 Posts
25% off would put the price at $8325 and that's just a little over a Maggie and NA. Please let me know what you find on that discount.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Interested here, as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If you are referring to recently released Gen III aluminum block based 426 that's a great deal. Last price I saw on this was back in December when I heard of it's release, it was listed at about $13.5k at the time I believe. An accurate price and where you are getting this info from would be greatly appreciated. A drop in fuel injected crate 426 for a little over 10k sounds great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moparperformance online has it on sale for 11,100. MSRP is 13,675-25%=10,561. Question; new pmc needed? From what i've read here supercharging is a mixed bag, great power but some tuning issues and a non-forged engine, I have concluded that, while a bit pricey, this crate is a far safer approach. Next question, can the tranny handle this with no upgrades? Trying to set a budget. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,700 Posts
Would this be purely for racing? The 426 crate motor may not be emissions' legal in most, if not all, states.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Next question, can the tranny handle this with no upgrades? Trying to set a budget. Thanks
The 6-speed Tremec is rated for up to 600 lbs/ft (700nm) of torque. This is will handle the 426 crate.

The 5-speed W5A580 is rated for up to 428 lbs/ft (580nm) of torque so you'll need to improve on that.
Paramount Performance makes:
NAG 1 (722.6) - 550 rwhp+: $4600
HTCr upgrade - 550 rwhp-: $1850 + core charge

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will ask my dealer about the emissions issue. The GEN III is a modern motor so hopefully it complies since it would still be a weekend car.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I will ask my dealer about the emissions issue. The GEN III is a modern motor so hopefully it complies since it would still be a weekend car.
The motor will not qualify for emissions what so ever, it's not certified by Chrysler or the EPA as such. If your state does not do emissions testing, then go for it. If it does, you won't be able to register the car.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The motor will not qualify for emissions what so ever, it's not certified by Chrysler or the EPA as such. If your state does not do emissions testing, then go for it. If it does, you won't be able to register the car.
Actually, that doesn't matter. If the vehicle passes OBD2 its legal.

We just tuned one of these engines that was installed by a dealer into a Mopar10. Car made 454rwhp and 470TQ to the tires. The gentleman somehow pulled of a factory authorized ,dealer installed, Mopar 426 in his new car. Dodge sent it to us for tuning after the install was done. Tuning one is no different then tuning any built engine combination. If your dropping it into a 5.7 car then you need to send your pcm to AJ(hemituner) to have it flashed to a 6.1 pcm. If your car is already a 6.1 then no reflash is need and just tuning needs to be done.

Tim

·
Registered
463 Posts
Tim, great info. Probably doesn't matter if it's dealer installed or not, correct? The setup you describe would be perfect for replacing my 6.1.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all your posts, very helpful. I am ordering one next week and will update. Thank you Tim for your input. Is that a reasonable loss of power 540 to 454RWHP? Did the tuning provide a good increase in power?

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
Tim, I am planning this upgrade within the next few weeks. Question here, can you put a Procharger on the 426? I have an 09 SRT and I think this combo would be super

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you are concerned about passing the visual, paint the block orange and practice your best blank stare...:lol:

It LOOKS EXACTLY like a stocker except for the bare alluminum block.

I want one so bad I can't stand it.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Thank you for all your posts, very helpful. I am ordering one next week and will update. Thank you Tim for your input. Is that a reasonable loss of power 540 to 454RWHP? Did the tuning provide a good increase in power?
540X.85 drive train loss= 459. It's right where it's supposed to be.

Wonder what that guy did to get the factory to install that???

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a question, - what makes a crate engine such an attractive option? As I am contemplating a stroker for my 10SRT-8, I was considering to get a 426 from one of the vendors here...It seems that I can get a stroker with forged internals for less then a crate...get a cam and use my stock heads and I am done for while with a potential to get a S/C in future... so what does the crate engine bring to the table? Thanks...

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am very interested in that crate motor as my 2006 SRT8 now has 156,000 miles on it and I would like to plan forward for next year. Does anyone know what the compression ratio, cam specs and TB size are for the crate engine. Also what is the horsepower peak and torque peaks at?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts