Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Pull the engine apart and look. Either the rings didn't seat, or someone allowed the rings to rotate when they were installed, or maybe a valve seal isn't installed correctly. Simple fix either way. Nothing scary about it either. Shit happens. It's still a Demon and worth bank. If the dealers mechanics can't fix this they don't deserve to use the name.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
for the money that was paid for that thing ( probably 120 on up ) due to stupid dealer mark ups. there is no way i would take it.. i would need massive reasurance from the dealer and would demand a brand new engine in the crate or nothing. no way are they tearing down a brand new car from the factory for that kind of money.

·
Registered
116 Posts
He refused delivery so warranty and lemon laws don't apply, FCA still owns this car and has to decide what they want to do to make it acceptable to the guy that ordered it or someone else if he bails.

If he wanted it for a long term collector car then he will be screwed with a new engine or short block and losing the original matching numbers block but that is of no concern to FCA, they just want it fixed.

They wouldn't ship the car anywhere, they would just send the dealer a new engine/short block to install. I'd pass on it too, maybe a Redeye instead although long term value probably less.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Slidd, are the Demons number matched like the cars of old? I dont think they are. AFAIK numbers matching (body/trans/vin/engine block etc) to that extent went away a long time ago. IF it wasnt delivered, and FCA still owns it, couldnt they put a new engine in it and it not even show up anywhere in any listing or maintenance record. Just like when a car comes in damaged and a dealer fixes it before its sold. No one knows and there is no record of it.

I dont know, IF I "only" paid $100k or so, Id ask for a discount and a 100k warranty but If I wanted the car I ordered, I would take it. finding another for what they paid probably isnt feasible anymore.

·
Super Moderator
14,837 Posts
the VINs are laser etched on the blocks - so there is a VIN match between body / engine

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Pull the engine apart and look. Either the rings didn't seat, or someone allowed the rings to rotate when they were installed, or maybe a valve seal isn't installed correctly. Simple fix either way. Nothing scary about it either. Shit happens. It's still a Demon and worth bank. If the dealers mechanics can't fix this they don't deserve to use the name.

A Demon from the factory with a defective motor is worth credit union, not bank. And no I would not trust the heavy mechanic at this dealer to properly install a new engine & button everything up properly.

My old 2007 Charger went in for a simple thermostat replacement under warranty at THIS dealer. To do that, the intake has to be pulled. Mechanic supposedly dropped a nut into one of the cylinders, buttoned everything up, started it, made noise, tore it down, found the bolt & it needed a new piston & head. They had the car for 2 weeks. When it was 'finished' I hit the road. Made it to Cleveland when the lower radiator hose let go (it was not clamped) & motor got hot - I was on the turnpike in winter weather. The tip off was there was no heat. Limped it into a Chrysler dealer, left it with them overnight, had to rent a car & drive back to MI., drove down the next day to pick it up. Luckily the 2.7L was not cooked. See - shit happens like this. NEVER had anything crappy happen like this on something new off the assembly line however. Dealer mechanics I don't trust unless I know who the mechanic is.

·
Registered
328 Posts
A Demon from the factory with a defective motor is worth credit union, not bank. And no I would not trust the heavy mechanic at this dealer to properly install a new engine & button everything up properly.

My old 2007 Charger went in for a simple thermostat replacement under warranty at THIS dealer. To do that, the intake has to be pulled. Mechanic supposedly dropped a nut into one of the cylinders, buttoned everything up, started it, made noise, tore it down, found the bolt & it needed a new piston & head. They had the car for 2 weeks. When it was 'finished' I hit the road. Made it to Cleveland when the lower radiator hose let go (it was not clamped) & motor got hot - I was on the turnpike in winter weather. The tip off was there was no heat. Limped it into a Chrysler dealer, left it with them overnight, had to rent a car & drive back to MI., drove down the next day to pick it up. Luckily the 2.7L was not cooked. See - shit happens like this. NEVER had anything crappy happen like this on something new off the assembly line however. Dealer mechanics I don't trust unless I know who the mechanic is.

As I said, if they can't fix a relatively simple thing like this, they shouldn't be working on cars. And any Demon is worth a LOT of money. Period. Fix it, you CAN'T replace it.

I inspect any work someone else does. That said, almost never let anyone else work on my car.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts