Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I appear to be a rock magnet, every time I take my car away on a road trip it seems to take a hit from a rock (or what ever?) this time from a small truck going in the opposite direction, I have no idea what actually hit us but it made a hell of a bang, if my wife wasn't wearing her seat belt there would be another dent in the roof as well, man she jumped!
I will have to get some quotes and see what is involved to repair it and weather or not it is worth fixing or just wearing as a battle wound? The car has only done 1500 km (around 900 miles) which makes it even worse for me. :frown:

You can see the scratches easy enough but it is hard for the camera to pick up the dent, the bottom photo kind of shows on the large scratch, it is a lot worse to look at in person on the right (wrong) angle.

A bit lower and I would be getting a new windscreen and not having to pay any excess on my insurance. The difference a couple of seconds can make is just pure bad luck!

DSCF0298.jpg

DSCF0300.jpg

DSCF0301.jpg

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Ouch! That sucks! I had the same issues with my Camaro. It too was a magnet for any little thing. Two broken windshields (rocks), some old man drove into some concrete kicking a huge chunk up and right into my right side fog light...a day after getting the car back from some fender damage done by a 15 year old girl on her first day of training, and a chunk of something did a bit more damage about a foot farther back from yours right in the center of the roof. And finally, two days before I traded it in for my Challenger, a car kicked up a pretty big bolt (grade 8 mind you) that stuck right into the front grille and broke it, but it didn't go through. That car was so reliable, but also seemed to be pincushion.

I consider myself lucky, as you should. A work buddy of mine was driving with his brother on a highway back in the late 1970's in one of those small Ford Courier pick-ups. The car in front of them kicked something up that went straight through the windshield, right between them, and out the little window right behind them. They had to pull off the road, and found that what went through the windows wound up in the bed of the pick-up. A 7 inch piece of re-bar. They didn't even get any glass cuts. Just shattered about a foot hole each, in and out. They had an angel with them that night. He said that the two windows cost more than he paid for the whole truck. lol

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, yeah I know I'm not alone and it could have been worse, but when you are so cautious and careful looking after your car and something like this happens... :cursin:

·
Registered
643 Posts
sorry to hear that! i've been having pretty bad luck with ppl giving me dents also. i'm going on a my first road trip with my car, gonna go up 6 hours to northern california. i got clear bra installed but it still would have dented my car in the area you got hit. i haven't thought about going that high up with the film. i'm worried it's something that can't be avoided

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
A good PDR (paintless dent repair) guy should be able to get that out by accessing under the headliner. If the scratches aren't all the way through the clear it should buff out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just spent $200 getting a dent out of my rear drivers quarter panel where my kids damn bike fell into it. Left a 1" long dent and scratched the clear. PDR guy was able to get it all out and you'd never know it ever happened - good one should be able to do the same for you.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Wow, yeah I know I'm not alone and it could have been worse, but when you are so cautious and careful looking after your car and something like this happens... :cursin:
Yeah, something worse... Like my $12,500 hail damage repair bill.

You're pretty right on no matter how you baby your challenger, and being cautious about it. The craps will find its way to ding our damn cars!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,687 Posts
It's just a flesh wound! Rub some dirt on it and get back out there. I got hit on my roof, just above my left ear, made my ear ring it was so loud. It actually dented the metal just a bit. Touched it up with some paint. Picked up 2 more on my right fender. They are just battle scars, and give my daily driver some character.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Tandom gravel trucks are my nemesis.

I always try to distance myself from them by passing as quick as possible on a 3 lane highway in the far left lane.......or use a large vehicle in front of me as my blocker until I can pass.

Years ago one took out my radiator on my way to work in the early morning hours of my 77 Datsun 280Z. I heard the "peppering" of the front end as I passed him and expected to get to work and find the front end all chipped up.......no, but it was gushing coolant as soon as I shut the engine off!!
I was lucky there was a radiator shop around the block and dropped it off during my lunch and picked it up when I got off.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of the support, and yes hail damage would really make me cry. I will see what the "Dent Magician" (local PDR guys) have to say after the holidays and go from there, from what I have heard they should be able to fix the dent, the scratches I can live with, they are very hard to see on the GCM, I may even be able to help hide them a bit with a light touch up. I have always found touch ups with a 'matching touch up paint' to stand out more than the original scratch so I will be conscious of this when the time comes.
I will up date as I go. :|

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PDR guy cant do it without someone removing the headlining so he can get at it from behind.
I will get a panel beater to have a look next, see what they have to say.

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
My friend had the pdr guy do it using the glue pods and slide hammer method and came out perfect, one area was dented under a trunk stripe and fixed it without and damage to the vinyl stripe.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He said the roof skin is probably too stiff for the glue method to work in that area, I did ask.

@ OregonScat; I suspect the same as that area would more than likely be double or triple skinned for structural strength, it is effectively our rollbar.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Dropping the headliner isn't that big of a deal. I saw it done on a previous '11 Mustang I had. Question will be if he's confident he can get to it after that.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Man I hate that happened, especially as stupid of a scenario as that was...passing a vehicle going the other way.

I can't stand these guys that load up a tractor, back hoe, etc full of mud, gravel, and crap and then fly down the highways and drop shit everywhere. Everytime I've had to load something I hose it off before I head out, not only out of respect for others but because I don't like nastyness.

I got a minor chip in the windshield corner on my Challenger at the drag strip. The track officials were bringing everyone in while the guys getting ready to stage were still doing their burnouts and a rock or something got flung into me. I was pissed, gave them a peace of my mind and never went back...along with several other people apparently... That track is closed now...

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dropping the headliner isn't that big of a deal. I saw it done on a previous '11 Mustang I had. Question will be if he's confident he can get to it after that.
Yeah I think it is a question of someone knowing what they are doing, the PDR guy wants the headliner dropped so he can fix it, the way I see it to get someone to drop the headliner they would more than likely want the whole job, I have a good panel beater to talk to but I am going away again in a couple of weeks so I will see them after that, and get them to look at what ever damage I pick up on the next road trip as well. :shrug03:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts