Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I take the plunge into owning a challenger srt 8, are any members currently driving there challengers this winter? what damages are you ensuing? Where I live, there are potholes from hell! does the challenger fair well with moderate pot holes? I know these might sound like strange questions, but would really like some feedback to make my decision thanx!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
Challenger can live a rough life however if you want to be that rough go with a Jeep

i know mine lives through mud, salt, snow, rain, dust, race track and pot holes

wash it often, change all fluids once a year, engine oil every 3k miles, keep the stock rims and all seasons tires for the winter, turn off traction control when driving under heavy snow and the SRT8 will be fine; other Challengers such as V6's that i don't personally know

others will chime in

Cheers

ODP

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Winter beater for winter and clean undamaged SRT for the rest of the year.
Everyone may do as they wish but after you wreck a muscle car in the snow you learn and it smarts.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I drive my car. I haven't noticed any weather related damage. I bought it to drive. :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
I live in Jersey. One of the top five worst winters ever, with more to come (something big is brewing next week!) I'm still running the stock tires and have driven mine everyday with only a coupla obvious exceptions (through a fresh foot of snow).

Growing up, all I drove were rear wheel drive cars...just need to know how to handle em!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
295 Posts
Up to you. Northeast winters are rough on cars. How long do you plan on keeping the car? If your only going to keep it for a few years then you can get away with it easier. If you plan on keeping it for 10-20 years then I certainly would want to keep it out of the salt. The reason I park my SRT for the winter is all of the salt they put down. Other than that, it's a daily driver rain or shine. I'll probably keep it 4-6 years. $.02

·
Registered
426 Posts
Not to deter you away from getting a Challenger, but pot holes are a Challenger's worst enemy. I can't even count how many pictures I've seen of Challengers that have hit pot holes and damaged the front end. I live in the country, so I'm very familiar with pot holes. We probably have more holes than actual road! I'm VERY cautious about driving around and/or over them. Take it easy and you'll survive the pot holes with no issues.

As far as winter, my R/T sits in the garage. Haven't driven her since Christmas. I've got another vehicle I can drive, so I'd rather keep the Challenger salt free and away from the absurd snow and ice we've gotten this winter.

Best of luck in your decision making.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I bought my car to drive it year round, whatever the weather may be. An easy right foot and snow tires (Blizzaks) are all you need. If you are an inexperienced driver with a powerful RWD car, this may not be for you. These cars can get very tail happy and you must know how to control oversteer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Potholes are going to damage any car, beater or not. The thing about the SRT is that it sits a little lower, so if you plan to drive it anytime of year, take a look at your surroundings. If the curb at the bottom of your driveway is huge, or any business you frequent has a rough parking lot you might want to rethink it. Its not just winter potholes. The RT sits a little higher and that little bit of height might be the difference of hitting a parking block, curb, or bottoming out someplace if you really plan to drive it.

I drive an RTC year around in the Chicago area. I have a second set of wheels with snowtires, the car does well in the snow. Avoid the potholes and if you're light on the throttle when its slick you wont have any issues.

After all the Challenger while cool, is just a car. I don't consider it to be any investment piece. Like with any car treat it well and it will be fine when ever you decide to drive it.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
So far so good with my R/T in Saskatchewan winter! We get a decent amount of snow and some stupidly cold temperatures. Only issues I've had were a broken splash guard from hitting a nasty ice rut (my bad, prob could have avoided it) and when it the temperature fluctuates around freezing sometimes the door/window like to freeze shut. Good lubricant for the weatherstripping helps. When it's really cold it's not an issue.

Overall I say the Challenger of any type is a great practical all-year round car as long as you have winter tires for winter. Well-built to be driven, rides great on rough roads and RWD is a blast in the snow! As for an SRT, my Dad drives his 300 SRT8 in winter as well. Have to be a bit more careful with it being lower than an R/T but still do-able.

Reactions: SWCCC

·
Registered
360 Posts
My first winter in the challenger... Handles great with the blizzaks on the police wheels i had installed... Unfortunately, had her parked at my job and ice fell from the roof and put several dime sized dents in my hood and one on the roof... :( Not worth paying my deductible to repair it as a new hood will cost about the same as my deductible. I will be saving up for a Shaker hood instead and swap it out during the summer and switch back to the other hood during the next winter season...

Reactions: SWCCC

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got a SE to drive all year round. Lots of snow, and nasty slick weather in NB here every winter. Plus, the roads look like they've been bombed.

If you've never driven RWD, don't start in winter is all I gotta say. All that electronic protection stuff can't teach you knowledge you would have accumulated before winter.

Another set of cheap wheels and good snowtires are a must, and I slow down quite a bit for potholes. It holds up well so far, no damage due to road conditions. I don't take it out when we get more than 10 cm/4 inches because of ground clearance. Don't even have to weigh down the trunk, though I should get on that, some cat litter would be helpful if I ever get stuck.

Aside from that, SRT's are lowered some, putting you at a disadvantage in winter, and with potholes. If you can live with the RT, it's a better option for what you want to do. I always see the SRT as more of a special occasion car, not meant to be driven daily. Definitely not something I'd take out in winter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate everybody's feedback.. I've driven rwd cars before and I am used to the back end sliding out. I actually am not afraid of that. I currently drive a genesis coupe rwd putting about 280 to the rear wheels. I have driven that through 2 winters so far on Blizzacks with no problems. Now its the decision to get rt or srt! :banger:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts