Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
261 - 280 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just received 1 of 4 wheels in the mail (other 3 will be delivered tomorrow). All I got to say is dang! The 10.5" over the stock 8" definitely gave me pause as to whether it will fit in the back, but just like everyone said they look like they will. I intended to get the satin black finish but at the last minute decided to go with the polished/chrome "old school" look.
Nice looking wheels! And they have GOT to be easier to clean than my Devils rimjobs!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah when I went to pick up my replicas in person, he confirmed that I had the 4 piston and not the 6 piston brakes. I have the 15mm version and no issues with the 4 piston, but the 12mm was created to clear the 6 piston big boys. Nice guys over at FR by the way!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,198 Posts
So based on threads from here and the HC forum, 315's on 10.5" wide rims can result in rubbing (depends on tire manufacturer - some say continentals run wider) and crowning...at least from some of the images I have seen with Nitto drag radials. Even though Nitto states 10.5" being the minimal wheel width for install. Looks like I will need to take some measurements with the wheel mounted and suspension compressed, although considering I have an RT (non-STP) I think I will fair better than most in terms of fitment.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,198 Posts
So I geeked out an took some measurements of my RT+ rear wheel (used a plumb bob, straight edge..yada, yada, yada) and if I run 315/35 on the FR73 20x10.5"-22mm I most likely will need to heat/modify the rear portion of my wheel liner. Although, there was a guy on the other challenger forum that was running 315/35 tires (continental DW06) and 20x11"-25mm wheels with a 3mm spacer (equivalent offset would be 22mm) and he had no rubbing issues. If I go by what he says I will not have to modify my liner. LOL talk about beating a horse to death.

Just noticed the wheel width is off, if you measure from outside of the bead it is ~11.5". So the amount the wheel protrudes from the fender lip is 0.57" and not just 0.07".

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
898 Posts
So I geeked out an took some measurements of my RT+ rear wheel (used a plumb bob, straight edge..yada, yada, yada) and if I run 315/35 on the FR73 20x10.5"-22mm I most likely will need to heat/modify the rear portion of my wheel liner. Although, there was a guy on the other challenger forum that was running 315/35 tires (continental DW06) and 20x11"-25mm wheels with a 3mm spacer (equivalent offset would be 22mm) and he had no rubbing issues. If I go by what he says I will not have to modify my liner. LOL talk about beating a horse to death.

Mr. Heat Gun is your friend...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,198 Posts
So all the wheels arrived, this whole time I have been focusing on tires but I completely forgot I need TPMS.

I don't want the black rubber stem type, which are currently on my Classic 2 wheels

I found these that use Aluminum valve stems (although I think need to buy the hardware kit as well) for another $12.36 each.
https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem...meT0yMDE1JnQ9ci10LXBsdXMmZT01LTdsLXY4LWdhcw==

Or there are these from Rockauto.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3783243&cc=3308866&jsn=514

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
You can get a set from FR as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Humm, I'll have to look at mine. Thought they were metal.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
You're right....black rubber on mine.

·
Registered
690 Posts
So all the wheels arrived, this whole time I have been focusing on tires but I completely forgot I need TPMS.

I don't want the black rubber stem type, which are currently on my Classic 2 wheels

I found these that use Aluminum valve stems (although I think need to buy the hardware kit as well) for another $12.36 each.
https://www.stevewhiteparts.com/oem...meT0yMDE1JnQ9ci10LXBsdXMmZT01LTdsLXY4LWdhcw==

Or there are these from Rockauto.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3783243&cc=3308866&jsn=514
Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/192655145678

I tired looking for the ones I pick up from ebay, I got last yr but cant view them cuz it's been a while but think these should also work

·
Registered
486 Posts

Just noticed the wheel width is off, if you measure from outside of the bead it is ~11.5". So the amount the wheel protrudes from the fender lip is 0.57" and not just 0.07".
Let me help you beat that horse a little bit more...
That 12.6" tire width was based on an 11" rim. Supposedly, when mounted on a 10.5" rim will become 12.4". (Industry standard says 0.2" change for every 1/2" change in wheel width.) So that's something that may help a bit.:smile:
I'll be doing the same very soon.
But as you noticed every car could vary a bit, even within the same model, I think.

Reactions: ChallyTatum

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am really glad I found the demon wheels.. I almost bought some wheel replicas 20x9 hellcats all the way round, but the tire guys had me worried about rear wheels.

I can get these demon wheels locally today; there's a wheel place in Tempe, AZ that has them in stock. They look sooooooo much better than the hellcat wheels.

I have a stock 2016 Challenger RT+ with super track pack & the 8 speed torqueflight trans.

I really want to run the michelin pilot sports with 315/35 in the back and 275/40 in front. Is that going to be an issue with the back tires on my car, and if so.. is there an alternative that isn't a shorter tire for the back?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,198 Posts
I am really glad I found the demon wheels.. I almost bought some wheel replicas 20x9 hellcats all the way round, but the tire guys had me worried about rear wheels.

I can get these demon wheels locally today; there's a wheel place in Tempe, AZ that has them in stock. They look sooooooo much better than the hellcat wheels.

I have a stock 2016 Challenger RT+ with super track pack & the 8 speed torqueflight trans.

I really want to run the michelin pilot sports with 315/35 in the back and 275/40 in front. Is that going to be an issue with the back tires on my car, and if so.. is there an alternative that isn't a shorter tire for the back?
You could go with 305/35 but I would rather run spacers or modify the liner to run 315s. I have the wheels but I am waiting for my TPMS which should arrive Monday. I am heading to my local Discount Tire (has a hunter force elite balancer) to get Continental Extremes on order.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
You could go with 305/35 but I would rather run spacers or modify the liner to run 315s. I have the wheels but I am waiting for my TPMS which should arrive Monday. I am heading to my local Discount Tire (has a hunter force elite balancer) to get Continental Extremes on order.
Could I run the 315/35s on my car with the spacers?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 ·

Keep in mind the Michelin Pilot Super Sports run wide.

Here is a picture of the gap between the back of the tire and the wheel liner with a 20x10.5 FR Demon wheel (+22mm offset) and a 305/35/20 NT555R tire. That gap will decrease by approx. 1/4" with the 315 MPSS.

Here is a picture of the face of the 20x10.5 FR Demon wheel w/ 305/35/20 NT555R. I hung a weighted string off the lip of the fender to show where the outside face of the tire lines up. A 315 MPSS is going to poke out approx. 1/4" more.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,198 Posts
Could I run the 315/35s on my car with the spacers?
I believe you are running Voxx 20x10.5 which have a 25mm offset whereas the FR73 (what this thread is based on) 20x10.5 have a 22mm offset. Therefore, the Voxx sit closer towards the chassis by 3mm right off the bat. But like everyone has been saying, the gaps vary from vehicle to vehicle. Fortunately Speedlogix sells 1/8" (3.1mm) and 1/4" (6.4mm) spacers.

FYI - check out this thread.
https://www.hellcat.org/threads/voxx-demon-reps-20x10-5-dont-fit-front.185985/

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,198 Posts
Found the Thread where Landshark ran 20"x10"-15mm and 275/40 tires on all 4 corners of an R/T without the need of studded spacers. Also Lostviking ran 20"x9.5"-??mm with 275/40 on an SXT. Just adding this in case some comes across this thread.

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f79/wth-being-told-i-need-spacers-studs-660283/

Dam, I can't wait for the tires to show up. Rims are all set with TPM sensors which are torqued down to 6NM.

BTW this is what the FR73 20"x9.5"-12mm clearance looks like on an RT. The gap between the steering knuckle and wheel is ~5/8".

Attachments

261 - 280 of 344 Posts