Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I've been lurking for a while, and finally decided to register. I don't own a Challenger yet, but I will by the end of the year. I just bought a house with a garage, my Tacoma is paid off, and the wife's car is almost paid off, therefore it's almost time for a new toy ?

I'm joining now so that I can learn as much as possible before making this purchase. I'm hoping this forum will steer me in the right direction.

What I know: I want the 392, manual transmission, and I'm leaning toward Go Mango, Destroyer Gray, or B5 Blue (if buying used)

What I don't know: SRT, T/A, or SPS? As well as many other minor details to ensure I make the perfect purchase. I'm familiar with the differences between the different models, but I'm not sure exactly what I really need.

I can't wait to learn more from all of you

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
You got the best foundation in mind already 392 HEMI with a Manual transmission ever thing else is just more gravy. in 2016 when I bought my first Challenger the T/A was not an option but the SRT 392 and the SRT Hellcat were but they did not come with the Shaker option so the 392 Hemi R/T Scat Pack Shaker was my choice plus it has the longest model name. P.S. plan on getting wider wheels and tires for the rear these are 275/40 on a 10" wide rim and they are still not enough I plan to try 295/40's when these wear out.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Hi there!

What I know: I want the 392, manual transmission, and I'm leaning toward Go Mango, Destroyer Gray, or B5 Blue (if buying used)

What I don't know: SRT, T/A, or SPS? As well as many other minor details to ensure I make the perfect purchase. I'm familiar with the differences between the different models, but I'm not sure exactly what I really need.

I can't wait to learn more from all of you
Here's the breakdown of models / colors / years to help narrow down:

T/A 392 '17+ for this model
-GoMango '16 & '17
-Destroyer Gray '17+
-B5 Blue [possible '18 color...details not released if avail]

SRT 392
-B5 Blue '15/'16
-Destroyer Gray '17+
-GoMango '16/'17

SP Shaker
-B5 Blue '15/'16
-Destroyer Gray '17+
-GoMango '16/'17

all transmissions are available in those three models across the years.

On SP Shakers*
-there were two interior choices for '16: all leather Shaker seats or Alcantara/ leather with SPAG option.
-'17 only Alcantara / leather interior only
-'18+ Houndstooth cloth is std. Alcantara / leather is extra cost option w/ Leather Int. Grp

Go Mango is still running for '18 - but as other colors come online later, whether it continues is unknown. Generally when additional colors come online, the prior heritage colors tend to be dropped. Since the OP is looking at used, it might be a moot point...

There's a limit to the quantity of paint tanks at the plant (and some colors are used on Chargers / 300s that take up some of this availability - as some colors aren't shared on Challenger line)

Reactions: DankBurnout

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I agree with the tire size issue on the SPS. Once I add the dynamics package, and leather seats, I'm not too far behind the price of an SRT. From what I have read, the 275's make a big difference compared too the 245's. I just wonder if it will make enough difference for me to care enough to pay extra for it

Hal H - thank you for the breakdown on the colors. Go Mango is my top choice, so that's good to know

In all reality, I'll probably buy used. It won't hurt as bad if I trade it in when the next generation is released. I've been dreaming of a Challenger Shakedown ��

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,619 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I agree with the tire size issue on the SPS. Once I add the dynamics package, and leather seats, I'm not too far behind the price of an SRT. From what I have read, the 275's make a big difference compared too the 245's. I just wonder if it will make enough difference for me to care enough to pay extra for it

Hal H - thank you for the breakdown on the colors. Go Mango is my top choice, so that's good to know

In all reality, I'll probably buy used. It won't hurt as bad if I trade it in when the next generation is released. I've been dreaming of a Challenger Shakedown ��
If you find a used SPS - not that many may have Dymanics Package - with this being a $2k option might not see a lot of them or a fully loaded up example.

The std SP wheels (WR2 or WRT) that are 20 x 9" will allow a 275/40 tire to be installed - many of us have done this change out on tire sizes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you find a used SPS - not that many may have Dymanics Package - with this being a $2k option might not see a lot of them or a fully loaded up example.

The std SP wheels (WR2 or WRT) that are 20 x 9" will allow a 275/40 tire to be installed - many of us have done this change out on tire sizes.
Would any adjustments need to be done to the speedometer? Or is it a clean swap?

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts

Yessiree, it definitely makes a HUGE difference for me. I don't regret investing in the Continental DWS06 tires in 275 immediately after getting my SP. These 245 OEM tires are nothing but a joke.

If you haven't done this... I recommend you to check out the colors in the person at the dealerships. I really love Destroyer Gray color.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yessiree, it definitely makes a HUGE difference for me. I don't regret investing in the Continental DWS06 tires in 275 immediately after getting my SP. These 245 OEM tires are nothing but a joke.

If you haven't done this... I recommend you to check out the colors in the person at the dealerships. I really love Destroyer Gray color.
Any particular dealerships out here that you recommend? I am in Lakewood. I've seen a few dealers out here, but wondering if you have a favorite

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Would any adjustments need to be done to the speedometer? Or is it a clean swap?
275/40 - 20 is the same diameter as the 245/45 - 20, so no adjustments necessary.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,020 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Any particular dealerships out here that you recommend? I am in Lakewood. I've seen a few dealers out here, but wondering if you have a favorite
I got my SP from the AutoNation Dodge dealership in Arapahoe. The one and the only reason I went there because I wanted a Plum Crazy SP which there's none else in the state of Colorado or nearby for 1,000+ miles plus they were deep discounted. They were decent down there. Solid folks.

With these colors you wanted... You have plenty of the dealers to pick from... AutoNation's, Larry H. Miller's, Elway's, Johnson's, and the others. One of them bounds to offer you a good deal, no question.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Welcome fro MN!

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :) You will find a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

·
Registered
537 Posts
There are several T/A's for sale both in the metro area and in Colorado Springs. Haven't seen them in person yet but there are a couple that are Destroyer Gray. It looks like a cool color. The nicest T/A I've seen was Octane Red....it really pops with the black T/A graphics. I called Larry Miller about a black T/A they had and almost choked when the guy gave me a lease quote. Don't know anything about them, but this particular salesman was a clown.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts