Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had new 3.55 gears -1000 hp half shafts and LSD put in when i was driving it home i slight humming noise 55 to 60 mph only here it when i let off the gas could this be the new wheel bearings or the new gears

·
Mumber
389 Posts
Have them check the ring a pinion mesh.
I had a similar experience on my last Mustang when I upgraded. They should dye the gears, reassemble the rear. Run the car and reopen the pumpkin to evaluate the wear pattern. You can't just drop the same shims in and expect a perfect mesh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have them check the ring a pinion mesh.
I had a similar experience on my last Mustang when I upgraded. They should dye the gears, reassemble the rear. Run the car and reopen the pumpkin to evaluate the wear pattern. You can't just drop the same shims in and expect a perfect mesh.
Agreed. And you should have them checked sooner rather than later. Wait too long and the wear pattern will be set and the noise will remain until you change out the ring and pinion. And don't let the installer tell you that the noise will abate with miles. That's :notallthere:

·
Banned
903 Posts
If my understanding on the getrag diff is correct there is no way to shim the carrier to adjust gear back lash. This is the very reason they have had so many come back under warranty and the dealers have been replacing the complete differential.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
I replace my half shafts with DSS 1000hp units and center section with a LSD thats from an SRT never been cracked opened. It has a slight hum/whine at 60mph. Not bad just slight. My peg leg center section that came in the Rt had a whine from new also. Just diffrent mph had slight whine at 40mph. How bad is bad ? I dont know.
FT

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Hey, how do you like the 3.55 gears? The stock 3.92 seams a bit over done for a stock 6.1L, and I think it would be completely nuts for a supercharged application - I was just curious how it feels now...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, how do you like the 3.55 gears? The stock 3.92 seams a bit over done for a stock 6.1L, and I think it would be completely nuts for a supercharged application - I was just curious how it feels now...
well i ended up putting in a stock 373 rearend with my 1000hp half shafts its awesome ride:thumbsup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good job T bone. how the 373s working out. what made you go down from the 355s
FT
i went this way because i had dodge install the entire unit no after market parts this way parts and install is under warranty the 373s were a complete unit im having alot of fun with them cant wait to get to the track and see what she can do

1 - 11 of 11 Posts