Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned this car for more than 35 years. It started out it's life with a Smog Strangled 350 Chevy making barely more than a couple of hundred horsepower. This is the 3rd engine between the fenders. The last was a ZZ4 350 that made a respectable 345HP....but time and tech improvement isn't only available to our newer cars with computers, fuel injection and everything else that has them doing so much better today that in the past.

Crate motors for the old rides have improved too. Never take for granted an advantage you might believe you have over an older car at the drag strip.

This '79 Corvette turned a 12.3sec 1/4 mile last summer. Not bad for a car that couldn't consistently get into the 14s when I originally bought it in the easly 1980s. Today's computer designed and cut aluminum cylinder heads, roller cam, and 10:1 compression allow this stroked SBC measuring 383 cubic inches to make 455HP.

A 750cfm holley on top isn't exactly a gas mileage champ........but the car does MOVE a whole lot better than it's original 9:1 Compression, wheezy 350 could.

Sounds a crap load better too.......I only wish I could get this sound out of my 392 in the Challenger. New car tech is demonstrably better in the real world of everyday driving but I sure miss this sound of a hot street cam through perfectly sealed headers and free flowing exhaust.

https://youtu.be/tqepHXKNSs4

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I've owned this car for more than 35 years. It started out it's life with a Smog Strangled 350 Chevy making barely more than a couple of hundred horsepower. This is the 3rd engine between the fenders. The last was a ZZ4 350 that made a respectable 345HP....but time and tech improvement isn't only available to our newer cars with computers, fuel injection and everything else that has them doing so much better today that in the past.

Crate motors for the old rides have improved too. Never take for granted an advantage you might believe you have over an older car at the drag strip.

This '79 Corvette turned a 12.3sec 1/4 mile last summer. Not bad for a car that couldn't consistently get into the 14s when I originally bought it in the easly 1980s. Today's computer designed and cut aluminum cylinder heads, roller cam, and 10:1 compression allow this stroked SBC measuring 383 cubic inches to make 455HP.

A 750cfm holley on top isn't exactly a gas mileage champ........but the car does MOVE a whole lot better than it's original 9:1 Compression, wheezy 350 could.

Sounds a crap load better too.......I only wish I could get this sound out of my 392 in the Challenger. New car tech is demonstrably better in the real world of everyday driving but I sure miss this sound of a hot street cam through perfectly sealed headers and free flowing exhaust.

Nice!

C3 is by far my favorite Corvette.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice!

C3 is by far my favorite Corvette.
Thanks.....I've owned this one since it was almost brand new. Back in the day this was good as it got, yet horrible power vs the earliest C3s.

There is a mixed blessing in it though.

On the negative side "rubber bumper" C3s like mine have poor resale vs the Chrome Bumper cars from '68-'72.....that perception of LOUSY SMOG Performance just haunts these cars.

Funny thing about that though......how many of these cars are actually still running with their original engines?

My car is on it's 3rd, just installed last year.

Since my home State like so many others doesn't require the smog equipment on a car this old it's now an open book for what-ever I want to do with it.

There is a lot to like in a later model C3 if you want to go with a non-original engine. Nobody gives a flat damn about that original smog motor anyway.......it's use at the bottom of a lake to hold your favorite boat in place off shore is it's only worth-while use today.

You can pick up a '75-'80 Corvette in rust free condition with decent paint for small change vs what you'd have to pony up for a matching #s '68-'72 with an LT-1 small block or a Big Block........ and it's easy to install something modern that will CRUSH the older car with ease and still leave you lot's of cash in your wallet vs what you would have paid for the older C3.

My car is proof of that......there are things you can't see in the video as well. This car rides on a thoroughly modern suspension. Transverse Fiberglass mono-spring in both the Front and Back of the car replace the old steel leaf out back and hard as Chinese Arithmetic coil springs up front. The result is a car that turns like it's on rails and does what you aren't supposed to be able to do when going for better cornering.....it rides better too vs it's past.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I had numerous Vette's and C3's are some of the most beautiful. I had a 68 Coupe 327 car and it was fun to
drive for a summer and then I started redoing all the mechanicals the body was already done. And then an ex friend took it off my hands. Yours looks great! I'm sure it's a blast to drive!

I actually turned down the offer from a friend to buy his 100% un-restored original low milage 78 Pace Car (Decals never even applied, still in the trunk) for
15 grand and it only had 12k miles and it was that damn "smog" thing... I SHOULD have bought it!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had numerous Vette's and C3's are some of the most beautiful. I had a 68 Coupe 327 car and it was fun to
drive for a summer and then I started redoing all the mechanicals the body was already done. And then an ex friend took it off my hands. Yours looks great! I'm sure it's a blast to drive!

I actually turned down the offer from a friend to buy his 100% un-restored original low milage 78 Pace Car (Decals never even applied, still in the trunk) for
15 grand and it only had 12k miles and it was that damn "smog" thing... I SHOULD have bought it!
Those pace cars from '78 and the silver anniversary cars....those cars broke a lot of hearts.

Quite a few were sold and then squirreled away for investment........only to be tripped up by the lack of interest in the Smog era cars that they are smack-dab squarely in the middle of. Over the last 20 years or so a low milage example comes up for sale pretty often as yet one more person throws in the towel on the idea.

If you still want one I'm sure you could still get a GOOD rust free example with good fiberglass and paint for $15,000 quite easily today.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,723 Posts

That's one Wicked sounding C3!

You did a Great job! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Those pace cars from '78 and the silver anniversary cars....those cars broke a lot of hearts.

Quite a few were sold and then squirreled away for investment........only to be tripped up by the lack of interest in the Smog era cars that they are smack-dab squarely in the middle of. Over the last 20 years or so a low milage example comes up for sale pretty often as yet one more person throws in the towel on the idea.

If you still want one I'm sure you could still get a GOOD rust free example with good fiberglass and paint for $15,000 quite easily today.

They really did break hearts for sure. It's sad because I loved the looks of both, you could see the "C4" in them

and I just in general loved the looks. But truth be told if I buy another Vette it will be a 96 Grand Sport. I had

an 89 Z51 and a 95 Coupe and loved them both and always wanted a GS.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They really did break hearts for sure. It's sad because I loved the looks of both, you could see the "C4" in them

and I just in general loved the looks. But truth be told if I buy another Vette it will be a 96 Grand Sport. I had

an 89 Z51 and a 95 Coupe and loved them both and always wanted a GS.
You should be able to find one in decent shape for a GOOD PRICE.

The C4s are the lowest priced Corvettes out there right now. Not always especially cheap to put back together when in tough shape though.......you'd definitely be well advised to pay a little extra for the best '96 GS you can find. I'm not as enamored with the C4 myself.

Computer controls make changing engines harder and most of the 1980s C4s suffer the same low performance problems that the late model C3s did.....that GS you want though is probably a good choice. The '92 introduction of an all new LT1 was the first time a Corvette had finally BESTED the performance of the late '60s and early '70 SBC.....the LT4 in the car you want is just that little bit better still.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts