Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum (obviously) and in the market for a 2016-2017 ScatPak or Hellcat.
If I bought the Scat, a blower would end up on the car regardless. So, do I start with the Hellcat from jump street or go Scat Pak then add the blower?
Side note:
I ran my own performance shop for 16+ years and have built to many cars to count from old school , to new school. Just wondering which platform to begin with. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Hellcat. Everything is built for speed on that car... you will always be chasing the weakest link on a built 392. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
Get the 'Cat - you're getting a total package engineered to work together from nose to tail.

No sense in buying something and trying to build it up when the factory already did it

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Probably should get this to see what you might be up against:

New Hemi Engines, 2003 to present, How to build Max performance…

Larry Shepard.

Published by CarTech, Inc.

https://www.cartechbooks.com/new-hemi-engines-how-to-build-max-performance.html

Softbound.
ISBN 978-1-61325-357-1, 146 pages

No slam against your performance shop skills but generally the best hot rod is one the factory builds. In the case of Scat Pack with blower vs. Hellcat the Hellcat comes out on top every time. It is a complete package. Not just a Scat Pack with a blower.

With the Scat Pack you add a blower. Then figure out how to rig up a good intercooler. At the same time deal with the extra intake complexity. Get it all to fit under some reasonable sized hood.

Be sure to get a good tune.

The exhaust will prove to be a limitation. Deal with that.

Add more engine cooling.

Add an engine oil cooler.

Add even more engine cooling.

Tweak the tune.

Transmission may need attention if you start putting around 700hp+ and approx. 650 ft lbs of torque into it.

And then the diff needs attention.

More tune tweaking.

Or drive over the crank and start with a new crate engine.

With more HP comes more speed. Better braking is called for.

With more HP comes more speed and with more speed the Scat Pack suspension might prove not up to the task.

A Hellcat delivers impressive performance. Yet it is a daily driver and can deal just fine with traffic. It comes with a nice warranty. It will hold its value better than a Scat Pack with about a zillion dollars worth of add ons. (Ok, a zillion dollars is an exaggeration. Half a zillion dollars.)

If you decide in a few years or less a Red Eye is for you you can step up to one using the Hellcat.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Get the 'Cat - you're getting a total package engineered to work together from nose to tail.

No sense in buying something and trying to build it up when the factory already did it
I have a 800 whp Scat.. get the Hellcat..
Scat and Hellcat 3/4 headers and exhaust are exactly the same . differentials too
Scat needs pistons/rods
Your call. Costs aren’t far from each other

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hellcat for sure if you want to go F/I.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morning guys. Thanks for all the replies. I havent done too many Hemi’s in my time, and wasnt sure if it was just cheaper to start out with the Scat and by the time blower/tune/fuel system added, would outperform the Hell. In other words, I was thinking the Hell is at its limit to begin with and then end up having to do a shortblock and what have you when the 707 becomes ho hum. But sounds like the Hell is the way to go and use it as starting point.
I’m a Mopar guy at heart (my 1st car over 30 years ago was a ‘71 Challenger, 383 car.), but dont consider myself a brand loyalist so to speak. I most did old school SBF, SBC, and BBC and of course the LS platform. Occasional BBM and couple Gen II Hemi’s including a 484 for my 2nd ‘71.
Actually did a cam and lifters on a ‘12 Ram 5.7 couple months back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Currently have a ‘72 C10 with LS swap in the garage thats sporting a set of twin 76’s, but its been about 12-13 years since Ive owned a Mopar (aside from a Jeep GC my wife drove until few years ago) and been on look out for low mileage 16/17 Challenger last couple months.

·
Super Moderator
15,397 Posts
better to get what you want the first go round

We've had members that have gone SXT, R/T and up to Hellcats - that beat-down on trade in would be brutal.

Also, trying to sell a modded car - no gain in price with the mods, unless a private party absolutely has to have it.

A lot of dealers will stay away from modded vehicles for potential warranty or go-backs.

Trying to sell used supercharges, headers and the like are cents on the dollar, even if taken off the car

·
Registered
375 Posts
I bought my Scat in November 2014, I started with a 2.3Maggie on the stock block, then upgraded to a hellcat block and longtube headers, then fuel system and transmission last year was E85 and Nitrous... I don't regret a penny that I've spent and enjoyed every bump in HP, but if I could go back in time I would buy a 2015 Hellcat and not look back....

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum (obviously) and in the market for a 2016-2017 ScatPak or Hellcat.
If I bought the Scat, a blower would end up on the car regardless. So, do I start with the Hellcat from jump street or go Scat Pak then add the blower?
Side note:
I ran my own performance shop for 16+ years and have built to many cars to count from old school , to new school. Just wondering which platform to begin with. Thanks guys.
I have a Scat Pack and love my car. I have driven a Challenger Hellcat as well and it has it's pros and cons as with any car. Of course, the HC has more power, but how feasible is it to drive around, unless it's a car used only for pleasure, ie: nice weekends, afternoon cruise, etc. (Which I also do with my Scat Pack). I certainly wouldn't use it as a daily driver. Honestly, the HC drove a little heavier than the Scat Pack. Unless you just want the brute horsepower and to spend the money for a HC, a Scat Pack gives you a lot of bang for the buck. As others posted, the best way to get the power and durability, is to buy something built by the factory. The stock internals on the 392 in a Scat Pack are not designed for what a supercharger can do as it is with the HC. Some things to think about long term: What does it cost to replace the supercharger if that happens? Check the cost of replacing the front rotors on a HC (When will you need to do that). Either way, you'll get used to the power and eventually that 707 HP won't seem to be enough. Just some ideas to consider.
Rotor-Brake 68184587AE
Rotor, Left
W/O AWD, W/BREMBO, 6 PISTON CALIPER
MSRP: $1,005.00
Discounted price: $655.09 (average price)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it wont be a daily. Just a weekend brawler. Should have made that be known above. Not worried about resale either. I buy my cars to enjoy them, and when I sell I get what I get. Look forward to joining the club guys. ?

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I went the supercharger route on my 2011 392 when my deal fell through back in 15 on a Hellcat. I love my

car and they've not since offered Toxic Orange again. That being said... I have a mega hard on for an Octane
Red Widebody Kitty.... I won't be buying one any time soon but if I was shopping right now I would not buy a

392 car to supercharge I would just get the Cat and be done with it. Also the cat is no where near it's limits
a few mods have guys bumping nearly a thousand horse out of the 6.2's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
With the Hellcat, you know what you're getting.
With the Scat Pack, you could have a bit of a sleeper and you can build it your way, how you want it. I think the angry bee looks cooler, but that's just me.
Personally I would do Scat Pack, drop in forged rods and pistons, and add boost -either Hellion twin turbo, ProCharger, or Magnuson. I like the idea of being able to control your boost, via a gauge in the passenger compartment, which is the option for the Hellion Sleeper Kit.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Put a Kenne Bell 2.8 twin screw liquid cooled on the 5.7. Loved it. NEVER enough power. Bought the Redeye anyway. DD too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts