Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum (obviously) and in the market for a 2016-2017 ScatPak or Hellcat.
If I bought the Scat, a blower would end up on the car regardless. So, do I start with the Hellcat from jump street or go Scat Pak then add the blower?
Side note:
I ran my own performance shop for 16+ years and have built to many cars to count from old school , to new school. Just wondering which platform to begin with. Thanks guys.
This is an easy answer! Hellcat.

I started with a v6 challenger, brand new. With 255 miles on it I took it down the track it ran [email protected] 93 mph, I modded the heck out of it with bolt on's that everyone on this forum said don't work or add power and got it down to the 13's over 100 mph ( so they was all totally wrong) naturally aspirated then bolted on a Sprintex supercharger and finally got it down to [email protected] 108mph with 0-60 runs at 4.0 flat on the street before I sold it.

Then I bought a SRT392 6.4 and first time down the track ran 12.8 @ 109 or so and it ran 4.2 0-60 mph runs in stock form. I was very impressed with the power. But it really wasn't faster than my v6 by much on the street and that meant me starting all over again to chase numbers and then finding out you really can't put a supercharger on safely. You will be limited to 4 or 5 lbs of boost and for the money right now you spend on a low boost supercharger plus a tune you can get into a hellcat. I bought my SRT392 for 28K ( one hell of a deal) one owner and figure another 10k for supercharger and accessory's. I said screw it I'm now going for a hellcat and stopped all playing with the 392.

So I sold my SRT392 and currently shopping for a used hellcat and I'm finding a string of them lightly used for about 42k under 20,000 or so miles many one owners and as cheap as 36k for some well used ones. I have decided to stay in that 40 to 44k range and find the best for me. The 36k cheaper hellcats are mostly fixed from damage or high miles around 75,000 miles on them.

So for me a Hellcat is a no brainer, skip over the scat and go for the cat. I should have but learned the hard way I guess.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a Scat Pack and love my car. I have driven a Challenger Hellcat as well and it has it's pros and cons as with any car. Of course, the HC has more power, but how feasible is it to drive around, unless it's a car used only for pleasure, ie: nice weekends, afternoon cruise, etc. (Which I also do with my Scat Pack). I certainly wouldn't use it as a daily driver. Honestly, the HC drove a little heavier than the Scat Pack. Unless you just want the brute horsepower and to spend the money for a HC, a Scat Pack gives you a lot of bang for the buck. As others posted, the best way to get the power and durability, is to buy something built by the factory. The stock internals on the 392 in a Scat Pack are not designed for what a supercharger can do as it is with the HC. Some things to think about long term: What does it cost to replace the supercharger if that happens? Check the cost of replacing the front rotors on a HC (When will you need to do that). Either way, you'll get used to the power and eventually that 707 HP won't seem to be enough. Just some ideas to consider.
Rotor-Brake 68184587AE
Rotor, Left

W/O AWD, W/BREMBO, 6 PISTON CALIPER

MSRP: $1,005.00
Discounted price: $655.09 (average price)

That is absalutly insane...

And highway robbery.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't owned any of these cars but I have driven them- Scat Pack, R/T, SXT....
My thoughts are, with all this compare and contrast analysis, do some number crunching with a calculator and see if you're willing to live with those kind of financial decisions. Think long term. How long are you going to own the car? What are you going to do with it after 150,000 miles?

So you want to get a Hellcat because it's got a supercharger and forged internals- great. Are you wiling to pay $12,000 for gas over the next 4-5 years? Because that's how much it's going to cost. Do the math.
At 50,000 miles, that's how much it's going to cost.

How about insurance? If you're lucky, let's say $150 a month. Over 5 years, that's $9,000. So now, cost of ownership is $12,000 plus $9,000. That's $21,000 over 5 years. Dang, that's the price of getting a decent used car. And we haven't even gotten into the basic cost of maintenance.

That supercharged V6 doesn't sound so bad after all....

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have a Scat Pack and love my car. I have driven a Challenger Hellcat as well and it has it's pros and cons as with any car. Of course, the HC has more power, but how feasible is it to drive around, unless it's a car used only for pleasure, ie: nice weekends, afternoon cruise, etc. (Which I also do with my Scat Pack). I certainly wouldn't use it as a daily driver. Honestly, the HC drove a little heavier than the Scat Pack. Unless you just want the brute horsepower and to spend the money for a HC, a Scat Pack gives you a lot of bang for the buck. As others posted, the best way to get the power and durability, is to buy something built by the factory. The stock internals on the 392 in a Scat Pack are not designed for what a supercharger can do as it is with the HC. Some things to think about long term: What does it cost to replace the supercharger if that happens? Check the cost of replacing the front rotors on a HC (When will you need to do that). Either way, you'll get used to the power and eventually that 707 HP won't seem to be enough. Just some ideas to consider.
Rotor-Brake 68184587AE
Rotor, Left

W/O AWD, W/BREMBO, 6 PISTON CALIPER

MSRP: $1,005.00
Discounted price: $655.09 (average price)
Agree! I use my Scat Pack Shaker as a daily driver and didn't want to put those kind of miles on a HC. Also, the cost to maintain, as you mentioned, brakes is very expensive vs. a Scat Pack. Insurance was another thing. The HC insurance was MUCH more then the Scat Pack...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts